Cruise line Booked Flight - Upgradeable at Airline Ticket Counter.

SCOOBY3015

I booked my flight to BCN via cruise line, can I upgrade at the airline ticket counter if I want a different seat when I arrive at the airport?

Just wondering if there will be an opportunity to upgrade, better fare at the ticket counter or should I just pay for the business class seat now…

Please share your thoughts and experiences…..

thanks

No one can answer this as we have no information about your ticket.  Once it is ticketed, you can pull up your reservation on the airline’s webpage and see if there are any upgrade options.  Some cruise line purchased tickets are not upgradeable at all.

• Like 1

As an air ticket purchased from the cruise line, you have a consolidator ticket. The rules and restrictions on your ticket are completely different than a ticket purchased directly from the airline. That’s one reason why they are cheaper.

You won’t know the rules and restrictions associated with your ticket until it’s actually issued.

But, to answer your question, if it is possible to upgrade, waiting until the day of travel would be my last option.

@6rugrats thank you for responding - it’s an economy ticket from Toronto to BCN

@klfrodo thank you for the info - good point, I think I will cancel and book my own airfare

I was thinking that there was an opportunity to upgrade at the counter. Like when they make announcements for passengers waiting to board a flight, if they would like to upgrade if there are seats available …. but I guess they don’t do that anymore

2 minutes ago, SCOOBY3015 said:

@6rugrats thank you for responding - it’s an economy ticket from Toronto to BCN

@klfrodo thank you for the info - good point, I think I will cancel and book my own airfare

I was thinking that there was an opportunity to upgrade at the counter. Like when they make announcements for passengers waiting to board a flight, if they would like to upgrade if there are seats available …. but I guess they don’t do that anymore

I am assuming your on Air Canada.  

The good news is Barcelona is not a major business destination out of Canada.  So there are not going to be a lot of paid business class passengers.  That means there are more seats available for upgrade.  

Air Canada uses a biding process where online you identify how much your willing to pay to get an upgrade.  They usually clear all of these upgrades and the ones from their loyalty program around 48 hours before departure.   Bid as early as you can, they will sometimes clear them early, especially if they need to free up seats in economy.

This is where you can go to bid:

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AirCanada?lang=en

Nearly all the widebodies AC aircraft are three class aircraft.  Economy, Premium Economy and International Business Class (branded as Signature Class). 

Premium Economy is similar to what your would call domestic First Class in the US.  Not a true international business class seat but a definite upgrade.

There may be one of two widebodies floating around with just two classes, economy and premium economy that is much closer to business class.  I think they usually get allowed to the flights to Algeria and Morocco.   

2 hours ago, SCOOBY3015 said:

Thank you @em-sk that’s exactly what I was looking for…

The airlines is Lufthansa operated by Air Canada

So does this apply to my airfare? I’m hoping so 🤞🏽😊

Yes, will want to bid for an upgrade on the Air Canada site.   I would first try to pull up your booking on aircanda.com .  Both Lufthansa and Air Canada run on the same computer system (Amadeus),  so its usually the same booking reference (sometimes called locator) for both.   

Answer the question of "can you upgrade" is difficult.  You have three companies involved, the cruise line, Lufthansa and Air Canada. That said, the one that actually matters is Air Canada since they will decide what seat your in and charge any upgrade fee directly to you.

If you have the booking reference and your last name.  Go the upgrade website and pull it up.  It is either going to let you put in a bid or you don't qualify. 

I have had them in past clear me for an upgrade weeks before the flight if they need the space.  Pays to do it early.

Edited by em-sk

I think I read in this forum by another poster that had a cruise line issued airfare reservation, information numbers are not available until approximately 2 weeks prior to departure. I would assume that is somewhat accurate and makes since…

Once that information is provided I can research and complete the remaining recommendations that you’ve provided

I do know departure/arrival and flight number, but that’s it…I will follow up with airlines (and cruise line) to get more information…

Thanks again forthe helpful info and suggestions 😊

14 hours ago, SCOOBY3015 said:

I think I read in this forum by another poster that had a cruise line issued airfare reservation, information numbers are not available until approximately 2 weeks prior to departure. I would assume that is somewhat accurate and makes since…

Once that information is provided I can research and complete the remaining recommendations that you’ve provided

I do know departure/arrival and flight number, but that’s it…I will follow up with airlines (and cruise line) to get more information…

Thanks again forthe helpful info and suggestions 😊

Cruise lines pre buy large blocks of seats.  The cruise line usually don't ticket until they have to.  You need to wait for that to happen before the airline will do anything.

Edited by em-sk
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 9:59 PM, SCOOBY3015 said:

That person possibly was on NCL and was using the perk airfare.

• Like 1

we have used  cruise  air   & were able  to bid for  upgraded seats  with Air Canada

just keep checking 

we bid low then went up a bit each week

Not sure on International BIZ  tickets  sometimes people are willing to pay  for those for the comfort  🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 1/21/2023 at 11:42 AM, em-sk said:

Cruise lines pre buy large blocks of seats.  The cruise line usually don't ticket until they have to.  You need to wait for that to happen before the airline will do anything.

I purchased air through Royal Caribbean's Air2Sea program for our cruise in May 2023.  Our tickets were ticketed in December and I have been able to try to assign seats for my husband and me.  However, there are no free seats left.  I can try to upgrade and pay for seats, but am waiting to see if any free seats open up.  Or take a chance and have the airline assign the seats for me - hoping that I get to sit next to my hubby or if I don't sit next to hubby, hoping it's not a middle seat.  

Some carriers charge for ALL seats, except in Biz/First and/or if you have high enough FF status.

WFBF can be changed to WAGSBAGS -- Want a good seat, buy a good seat.  

I can get free economy plus seating at check in on UA due to my super fabulous Premier Silver status. (tongue in cheek people. Sarcasm font on)   (For those occasions when I can't afford PE or First).  Do you really think I'm going to wait until 24 hours ahead. Not a chance in hell.

Sure it's more money but the older I get the less tolerance I have for being miserable to save money.  I'll cut back on eating out or expensive coffees in favor of being comfy on a plane.

Work har

5 hours ago, megr1125 said:

I can get free economy plus seating at check in on UA due to my super fabulous Premier Silver status. (tongue in cheek people. Sarcasm font on)  

Work hard and you can get up to a shinier metal!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 6rugrats said:

Work har

Work hard and you can get up to a shinier metal!

It's all good.  I came close to moving up in 22 but missed it by a little bit.  I'm happy where I am LOL but if anyone wants to promote me 😄 😄 😄

I'll pay for what I want, bring candy and maybe Sbux cards for the crew because they REALLLLLY love presents and I like making people smile and sometimes I even treat the lounge, gate, check in and TSA people to some candy too.  

Funny story, TSA snagged me at EWR for 2 giant bags of candy and a bag of baby hand sanitizers that I was giving to the crew (in the middle of the pandemic when we were finally allowed out).  They let me go (I told them what it was before they opened the bag and they said WOW you're exactly right, no worries) and I told the the agent that next time I'd bring them candy.  I did, he was there that day and they were so excited.  

• Thanks 2