Hotel recommendations in Venice, Italy

Sunkist40

What do you consider affordable, in euros?  We may define that term quite differently.

In general, I've found Best Western hotels in Italy to be quite nice and generally on the lower end of the cost scale.  You might look at some of them. 

We stayed at Hotel Cavalletto & Doge Orseolo several years ago with a family good of 15, it was very nice and what we considered affordable at the time.  Hotel Cavalletto & Doge Orseolo Venice Official Site | Hotel in Venice St. Mark's Square | 4-Star Hotel Venice Centre (hotelcavallettovenice.com)

• Like 2

We stayed at the Hotel Olimpia, a Best Western property.  It's on a canal across from the transportation center for the vaporetto, train, etc. It was wonderful, the breakfast superb, quiet and comfortable. When we return, we'll stay there again.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 12:21 AM, Sunkist40 said:

Need recommendations for a nice/affordable pre cruise hotel (2-nights) in Venice for a group of 14 (RCCL Explorer of the Seas) in May. 

You also might consider booking through the hotel's group reservations-- its possible that with at least 7+ rooms over two nights you would qualify for a group block discount. 

Moving 14 people through Venice to the major sites in May will pose some logistics so would recommend a centrally located hotel close to where you intend to tour vs one that will require heavy use of the Vaporetto or water taxis (which will be very expensive for a group of that size). 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Sunkist40 said:

Thanks for the helpful feedback. We blocked some rooms at a hotel a few miles away from the city center. 

In Mestre perhaps?

Having been to Venice a few times previously, I overnighted in Mestre this last trip prior to a cruise. Very convenient if your hotel is by the Mestre train station ; the ATVO Airport Express bus drops off at the station, there are frequent (and cheap) trains and buses into Venice for sightseeing, plus easy access to the station when youre ready to go to the ship.

It was a little further away from Venice than I anticipated, maybe 20 minutes, but for the price difference over a Venice hotel, it was well worth it. 

1 hour ago, Sunkist40 said:

Thanks for the helpful feedback. We blocked some rooms at a hotel a few miles away from the city center. 

This is a tough one for me, if indeed you are in Mestre it's not as simple as it sounds to get back and forth and it's not at all like staying in Venice.

I understand the economic benefit, but rooms can be found in Venice proper at all price points and it's really a very different experience to stay there.  I liken it to staying in Secaucus NJ when you want to visit New York City.  Yes, you're only a few miles away on the other side of the river but it's light years away in terms of the experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mapleleaves said:

In Mestre perhaps?

Having been to Venice a few times previously, I overnighted in Mestre this last trip prior to a cruise. Very convenient if your hotel is by the Mestre train station ; the ATVO Airport Express bus drops off at the station, there are frequent (and cheap) trains and buses into Venice for sightseeing, plus easy access to the station when youre ready to go to the ship.

It was a little further away from Venice than I anticipated, maybe 20 minutes, but for the price difference over a Venice hotel, it was well worth it. 

Yes, the hotel is in Mestre. We are located directly in front of a train station and a bus station. It should be a fun experience.

36 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

This is a tough one for me, if indeed you are in Mestre it's not as simple as it sounds to get back and forth and it's not at all like staying in Venice.

I understand the economic benefit, but rooms can be found in Venice proper at all price points and it's really a very different experience to stay there.  I liken it to staying in Secaucus NJ when you want to visit New York City.  Yes, you're only a few miles away on the other side of the river but it's light years away in terms of the experience.

Thanks for the honest feedback. I understand. Experience is everything.  If I stayed longer in Venice or traveled with just my husband, I would book a hotel in the city center.  Given that I am with such a large group, and we are staying 2-nights, this will work out for us. 

I echo eurocruiser,  it’s so nice to be able to go back to your hotel and then wander around later when the day trippers are gone.  That’s when the magic of Venice is revealed,  I too would choose a hotel in Venice. We too have had good luck with best western properties.  
other wise you will go in for the day and return exhausted and unlikely to fully enjoy.  Especially with a large group.