Coffeemakers in balcony cabins

FuninWB

I haven't cruised since 2019, and in that time, I have developed an issue with gastritis such that I cannot drink coffee. Instead, I drink a beverage made of chicory. I have forgotten whether the coffeemaker in a balcony cabin would allow me to bring the chicory onboard and make my own coffee substitute. Or is there a prepackaged coffee, in which case, my solution would not work? I would appreciate any help I can get  Thank you. 

NCL balcony cabins have a small Hamilton Beach flat pod style coffee maker. The coffee pods come pre-packaged. They make a single cup. Unless you can find a contraption that lets you make pods with your own coffee, I'm afraid you are out of luck. 
Update: I looked it up on Amazon. They do have a flat pod maker if you want to go through the trouble and expense. 

Edited by Uff da

8 minutes ago, FuninWB said:

Thank you! I may consider doing this. I really miss coffee.

FYSA: Due to COVID, coffee makers are normally not out in the rooms right now and you have to ask for one, if available. Sometimes you can find them hidden in the room (back of the closet, in a cupboard), but just ask your room steward for one. 

image.png.5476e4c1d2fbac461aa1cabe8fc6d725.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, uneamie said:

If you read the questions you will find these do not fit Hamiton Beach. You have to have the paper filter ones. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uff da said:

If you read the questions you will find these do not fit Hamiton Beach. You have to have the paper filter ones. 

Thank you for posting that :classic_biggrin:.....I went and checked and one person posted a picture using this in a Hamiton Beach. She had to remove something to make it fit and then said it took forever for the coffee to drip through. :classic_ohmy: So I canceled my order and will stick with the paper pods. 

1 hour ago, massfamilyof4 said:

Thank you for all the information! I am going to try bringing my own coffee and the paper pods. I will be so happy to have my own coffee in the morning. It is my favorite time of day and I can already picture myself on my balcony enjoying that first morning cup of Joe!! 

If you can deal with an Average Joe, your room steward is more than happy to keep you well stocked with all coffee supplies. No need to carry your own coffee. If you bring your own, make sure that the filter pods are the same form factor as shown

image.png.cf53158abbbc46903cb65db571bd5c07.png

image.png.a9e8f178e7e28860cdf5824832ff0cba.png

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

If you can deal with an Average Joe, your room steward is more than happy to keep you well stocked with all coffee supplies. No need to carry your own coffee. If you bring your own, make sure that the filter pods are the same form factor as shown

image.png.cf53158abbbc46903cb65db571bd5c07.png

image.png.a9e8f178e7e28860cdf5824832ff0cba.png

The last 3 cruises I was on, cruise #1 had both regular and decaf available, but ran out of regular mid cruise.  Cruise #2 & #3 (September and December--both in Europe), NO regular but lots of decaf.  For cruise #3, I was going to bring some pods, but ran out of time--this was also when they started charging for room service, so had to wait until I went to Starbucks before breakfast for my coffee.  I have tried, but just cannot drink what they call coffee in the dining rooms!  I will be sure to bring coffee pods for my next cruise--I would rather have too much coffee than having no coffee!

2 hours ago, massfamilyof4 said:

Thank you for all the information! I am going to try bringing my own coffee and the paper pods. I will be so happy to have my own coffee in the morning. It is my favorite time of day and I can already picture myself on my balcony enjoying that first morning cup of Joe!! 

Those pods have an assembly that's required. There is a special metal plate they go on before you fill them and they have to be ironed closed to heat seal it. It's a process. You would need to pre-make them and take them with you.
If you are talking about buying pre-made pods and taking them, that's different. 

• Like 2

Yes, you can ask your room steward to bring you one.  Every morning, the first thing I do when I wake up, is have a mug of hot water with lemon and Benefiber.  I would grab a mug full of lemon wedges from the buffet and store in my fridge and used the coffee maker for my hot water.  It was easy, quick and perfect.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TiggerandBart said:

Is there any free coffee anymore? In the dining room or other earring spots ?

Yes, in the dining rooms (in the mornings)  and buffet.  But the coffee is STRONG and very bitter!  I have tried to cut it with water, but it does not get rid of the bitterness (I drink my coffee black).  IMHO it is undrinkable--I don't like Starbucks either, but it is better than the ship's coffee!

• Like 2

I buy lunches that are intended to make your own tee bags or sistanes.   As such, they are rectangular rather than round but they work relatively well.

I will try and find the Amazon or WalMart (can’t remember which I bought from) ad for them.  They are made from a non fabric woven, biodegradable material and have a drawstring.  I do not use the draw string but fold them over twice and, once filled, either stitch them closed on my sewing machine, or I discovered when experimenting with the process, you can staple them shut and that works fine..

I use a rounded scoop of coffe for each bag and staple or sew them shut.  DH and I experimented a bit to get the right strength coffee for us.   The pack I ordered had 100 bags for about $5..  we usually drink two cups apiece on the balcony each morning so I’ll prep enough to take with us before we leave and store them in the freezer til getaway time!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, carohs said:

I'm not that picky about coffee but I'm all about delaying getting out of my PJs in the morning. Will this machine also get water hot enough for tea or for use in a pour over/French press?

3 minutes ago, CedarLane said:

Can you run hot water through the Hamilton beach machine and brew your chicory in a small French press or get a pour over filter?   Also, I saw some instant chicory on Amazon. 

It will give you one cup of hot water at a time. It would have to be a tiny french press.