Muster drills to return to pre-Covid style

MeHeartCruising

11 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Read the link provided to the points guy.

I have.  And, with the exception of an unattributed quote from Carnival, and having done my own analysis of the two methods of mustering, this was made by someone who hasn't actually seen a traditional muster on a ship.  Yes, each particular crew member is tied up longer with e-muster, but vastly more crew are tied up for a shorter period with the traditional muster.  I see it as a wash.

5 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I doubt the savings from bar closures is real.  Passengers just buy drinks in anticipation of the muster or buy them afterwards. All the bar closures accomplish is shifting the timing of beverage purchases.

Whatever, if you really think closing all the bars does not impact revenue 

Ha! Was reading this thread prior to my NCL cruise last week. Went on the 7 day cruise.  Did the traditional muster (and somehow survived).  Came home to see that this thing is still being debated. 

I'm waiting to read some new twist on this.  Is there any?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, JGmf said:

Ha! Was reading this thread prior to my NCL cruise last week. Went on the 7 day cruise.  Did the traditional muster (and somehow survived).  Came home to see that this thing is still being debated. 

I'm waiting to read some new twist on this.  Is there any?

No. Same old, same old. 

• Like 1

Ok, I'll bite. ---I have no problem with the old muster drills. HOWEVER, something needs to be done about morons that don't show up. FINE everyone that is more than 10 minutes late. Get your butts to muster so I can get back to DRINKING! 🤪I get really tired waiting 30 minutes or more for azzholes that think the rules don't apply to them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, asmit4 said:

Ok, I'll bite. ---I have no problem with the old muster drills. HOWEVER, something needs to be done about morons that don't show up. FINE everyone that is more than 10 minutes late. Get your butts to muster so I can get back to DRINKING! 🤪I get really tired waiting 30 minutes or more for azzholes that think the rules don't apply to them. 

Do you have reason to believe that the delays are because they are waiting for specific people?

Why else do I show up at the appropriate time and they don't start the discussion until 30 minutes or more later? Do they do this on purpose to piss people off? I've always found it was because they were waiting for stragglers. Do you have any info on why they waste our time aside from losers that don't follow the rules and show up? 

25 minutes ago, asmit4 said:

Why else do I show up at the appropriate time and they don't start the discussion until 30 minutes or more later? Do they do this on purpose to piss people off? I've always found it was because they were waiting for stragglers. Do you have any info on why they waste our time aside from losers that don't follow the rules and show up? 

Just two data points:

a) folks report missing muster drills and going to make-up sessions

b) our resident former NCL engineer has reported that it takes more time for the crew to conduct the behind the scenes drills than it takes to show us idiots how to put on a life vest (so, they may be dragging out the process on purpose, and catching a few stragglers at the same time)

How do you know that it is because they are waiting for stragglers?

3 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Just two data points:

a) folks report missing muster drills and going to make-up sessions

b) our resident former NCL engineer has reported that it takes more time for the crew to conduct the behind the scenes drills than it takes to show us idiots how to put on a life vest (so, they may be dragging out the process on purpose, and catching a few stragglers at the same time)

How do you know that it is because they are waiting for stragglers?

I haven't sailed on NCL before but on other lines they have checked everyone in and flat out told us 'sorry for the delay in getting started, we are waiting on 16 more people' etc etc. If there are legit behind the scenes reason I can understand that. I just cannot tolerate guests that fail to do as they are told and drag it out for the rest of us. (do they not do this check in process at NCL? I would think they would have to- otherwise how do they know who showed up and who has to show up for a make up?)

14 minutes ago, asmit4 said:

I haven't sailed on NCL before but on other lines they have checked everyone in and flat out told us 'sorry for the delay in getting started, we are waiting on 16 more people' etc etc. If there are legit behind the scenes reason I can understand that.

These are not mutually exclusive.  The "real" reason may be the behind the scenes drills requiring more time.  It's likely easier to blame it on stragglers (which they will always have).  This would also theoretically motivate folks to be prompt on their next cruise.

11 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

These are not mutually exclusive.  The "real" reason may be the behind the scenes drills requiring more time.  It's likely easier to blame it on stragglers (which they will always have).  This would also theoretically motivate folks to be prompt on their next cruise.

'

Or maybe the stragglers also cause a delay in the behind the scenes drills as crew members have to search for them.

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

'

Or maybe the stragglers also cause a delay in the behind the scenes drills as crew members have to search for them.

Are you sure about that?  I've never heard of this searching for stragglers before.  That would take a whole lot more time than the 15 minutes delay I experienced two weeks ago.

8 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Are you sure about that?  I've never heard of this searching for stragglers before.  That would take a whole lot more time than the 15 minutes delay I experienced two weeks ago.

While not specifically "searching for stragglers", the part of the muster drill that takes time, takes a large portion of the crew, and that passengers don't see is that every cabin and public space on the ship is searched and cleared, just as it would be in an emergency.

22 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

While not specifically "searching for stragglers", the part of the muster drill that takes time, takes a large portion of the crew, and that passengers don't see is that every cabin and public space on the ship is searched and cleared, just as it would be in an emergency.

Just like they do to get to zero passengers?

5 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Just like they do to get to zero passengers?

No, they don't.  To get stragglers off at the end of the cruise, they will send security to specific cabins, and then public spaces, with the guest photo to find these people.  Do you think they call cabin stewards and tell them to drop whatever cabin they are turning, and go look in another cabin for stragglers?  They do not search and lock down the entire ship during disembarkation.  Have you ever seen a shipwide search during disembarkation, or talked to anyone who has participated in this?  

16 hours ago, asmit4 said:

Ok, I'll bite. ---I have no problem with the old muster drills. HOWEVER, something needs to be done about morons that don't show up. FINE everyone that is more than 10 minutes late. Get your butts to muster so I can get back to DRINKING! 🤪I get really tired waiting 30 minutes or more for azzh oles that think the rules don't apply to them. 

But, some people like to make an intrance so they can be seen.

10 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

No, they don't.  To get stragglers off at the end of the cruise, they will send security to specific cabins, and then public spaces, with the guest photo to find these people.  Do you think they call cabin stewards and tell them to drop whatever cabin they are turning, and go look in another cabin for stragglers?  They do not search and lock down the entire ship during disembarkation.  Have you ever seen a shipwide search during disembarkation, or talked to anyone who has participated in this?  

Do they send send security to specific cabins, and then public spaces, with the guest photo to find these people who have not showed up for the muster?

16 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Do you have reason to believe that the delays are because they are waiting for specific people?

I believe that to be the case because I've heard the crew manning the muster stations say words to the effect of we can't get started until everyone is here.   

I acknowledge that could be BS on the part of the crew saying it, but, I have heard those words.

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

Do they send send security to specific cabins, and then public spaces, with the guest photo to find these people who have not showed up for the muster?

No, because security have assigned emergency duties during the muster drill, and are participating in the drill.

19 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Looks like they're missing a great opportunity to train personnel in searching the ship.

Considering that it takes more than the few security officers onboard to search an area, and then determine that no one reenters the spaces, no it doesn't.  Why do you think they call passenger muster frequently when dealing with a man overboard situation?  To get the hundreds of crew to search the ship properly.

Also, during a real emergency, the security officers would not be available to search the ship, they would be providing security to keep people from entering hazardous zones, and the housekeeping crew would be searching.

Even doing stowaway searches on cargo ships, with their limited number of spaces, but also a limited number of crew, there is no way to ensure that a determined person does not loop around and reenter a searched area.  The only way is to post "mark one eyeballs" on the ways into/out of spaces that have been searched.

So, essentially what you are saying is, "we want to train you on a duty you would not be doing in an emergency, and take you away from the assigned duties that you are supposed to be training for during the muster drill, which is what you would be doing in an emergency".  That sounds like truly effective training.

Edited by chengkp75