Wine by the glass in the main dining room

islander47

Pre Covid, getting a glass of wine from the very busy stewards in the MDR took a longer time than I would like. So, to avoid a delay,  I would get a glass of wine at a bar before entering the MDR and carry it in with me,  then order another glass when I ordered dinner.  That way, I always had wine to sip while I ate.  You may not need to do that, but for me, it was necessary.

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Pre Covid, getting a glass of wine from the very busy stewards in the MDR took a longer time than I would like. So, to avoid a delay,  I would get a glass of wine at a bar before entering the MDR and carry it in with me,  then order another glass when I ordered dinner.  That way, I always had wine to sip while I ate.  You may not need to do that, but for me, it was necessary.

To answer OP's question... yes. 

We had a different experience on Zuiderdam last April. Our waiter took our drink orders as soon as we sat down (fixed dining) the first evening, and every evening after, my favorite glass of wine was waiting for me as soon as we sat down.🙂

• Like 6

Our wine always arrived quickly on the Zaandam, 8pm fixed dining. The first night in the MDR, our wonderful server asked, “would you like a double?” Hmmmm, what a good idea. ☺️

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Our waiter took our drink orders as soon as we sat down (fixed dining) the first evening, and every evening after, my favorite glass of wine was waiting for me as soon as we sat down.🙂

I hate when they do that. I like to order my wine based on what I'm going to be eating!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Divi said:

Our wine always arrived quickly on the Zaandam, 8pm fixed dining. The first night in the MDR, our wonderful server asked, “would you like a double?” Hmmmm, what a good idea. ☺️

Yes, I was taught the double “trick” too, and on the Rotterdam last year the staff quickly recognized me and (maybe I drank too quickly! 😜 ) would just confirm I wanted double wine.  It always worked with HIA, unlike double bourbons which depending on who rang them in would sometimes trigger a more expensive price which knocked them out if the HIA price guidelines and showed up on my bill.  But even those could be removed by a call to guest services.  

ALL that said, it’s not a bad idea to walk into the MDR with whatever you’d like to drink, as there is almost always another bar on the way there any way you walk,  and the servers don’t take drink orders directly-they refer you to a MDR beverage staffer. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Dobby36 said:

Yes, I was taught the double “trick” too, and on the Rotterdam last year the staff quickly recognized me and (maybe I drank too quickly! 😜 ) would just confirm I wanted double wine.  It always worked with HIA, unlike double bourbons which depending on who rang them in would sometimes trigger a more expensive price which knocked them out if the HIA price guidelines and showed up on my bill.  But even those could be removed by a call to guest services.  

Looks like my new strategy will be to get bourbon on the rocks at the bar, head to the MDR and ask for a shot of bourbon. 😄  Shame you have to jump thru hoops just to get a double bourbon on the rocks.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fsufancc said:

Shame you have to jump thru hoops just to get a double bourbon on the rocks.

We haven't had problems getting doubles, but it does count as 2 full drinks. That's fine by us as it fits in HIA plan just fine.

We did see a few less than polite individuals denied double service in the summer, but I think the server was trying to avoid over serving those guests.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oakridger said:

I've always been able to get doubles on the beverage package.  

Two beers

Two diet cokes

Two shots of tequila in my margarita

Double pour of wine

~Nancy

Yes, of course.. But they count as 2 drinks toward the daily 15 drink limit.

29 minutes ago, Midwest Sunseeker said:

When you pickup a drink on the way to the dining room is it best to order at the bar?   Can my husband use my card and his to pickup a drink for both of us?  I use a cane and have difficulty standing. 

On our recent B2B, we would order two drinks together (his and hers), on one card. Alternating who bought who a drink, to keep from possibly hitting the 15/day mark! The bartenders appreciate only having to swipe once, and it is just handier for all. If on the way to some other venue, I would get the drinks at the bar, just a tad quicker, but do not stand in the servers' access spot! well, unless there really are no servers visible...

ETA: the limit per card swipe was two drinks on the K'dam this month. If we wanted a nightcap each and two cans of water for the room, they would ask for both cards.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, oakridger said:

I've always been able to get doubles on the beverage package.  

Two beers

Two diet cokes

Two shots of tequila in my margarita

Double pour of wine

~Nancy

George Thorogood had a song about this:  

One bourbon, one scotch, one beer
No, I ain't seen my baby since the night before last
Gotta get a drink, man, I'm gonna get gassed
Gonna get high, man, I ain't had enough
Need me a triple shot of that stuff
Gonna get drunk, won't you listen right here?
I want one bourbon, one shot, and one beer
One bourbon, one scotch, and one beer

• Like 2
  • Haha 2