Coming back to Royal!

Fitzget

6 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

Probably need to set expectations on the highlighted one, during certain times. Lines are almost everywhere lately.

Also to be fair, so people do not think that MSC charges for all shows... not all shows cost extra on MSC. All shows that are in the main theater are included, and you can use your drink package. The ones that cost extra are the Carousel productions, which are currently only on 4 ships, in the Carousel Lounge. The drink package does not work with that experience, but a drink comes with the price of admission, and is reduced if booked pre-cruise.

They also charge for the comedy show. 

10 hours ago, moposh said:

Thanks for the info.  It's good to know.  I've only cruised on RC.  I did see MSC on a Mighty Cruise Ships, but of course, they don't tell you everything.  😄

I have sailed on MSC's newer ships and had a great time. will cruise them again soon. No issues for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, goldfish65 said:

That's a wonderful feeling to know your Mom is excited for her first cruise at 82! 

Just started cruising last year, I researched all the lines and settled on Royal, glad I did because I like them. I'll never be tempted to try MSC, ruthless as they may be with their wealth from shipping trying to take over the cruising market. 

Congrats on starting cruising. 

I'm glad that MSC is in the mix which helps increase cruise options for folks that want additional options. I've sailed with MSC multiple times without any issues. Looking forward to my next sailing. 

Enjoy cruising!

1 hour ago, Fitzget said:

Tell them to bring it. Lol 

I enjoy MSC. I like having options. I enjoy Royal as well. MSC is a different product so I tend to not compare the two. I have not paid for shows on MSC or had drink package issues. Never had issues with unexpectedly long lines either. I'm glad you were still able to enjoy your cruise. I'm looking forward to my upcoming cruises, which include both Royal and MSC. Happy sailing! 🛳🌞

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Fitzget said:

To each their own. I've been on more than just Royal and MSC, and MSC is a very different product than anything I've been on before. I like the additional dining options on Royal. I like the fact that I can use my drink package anywhere. I like the fact that I don't have to wait 30+ minutes for a drink at a bar. Like I said, we had a great cruise, but it just wasn't for us. Royal just has an overall much better product, and MSC has a lot of learning to do. MSC even charges extra for shows, which really surprised me. We're all entitled to our own opinions, and our own likes and dislikes. 

Interesting as we have never been charged extra for any show on MSC?????

12 hours ago, Fitzget said:

Yes, we had friends with us who were in Yacht Club - the perks were nice. I wasn't comparing suites though - I was comparing like for like. You get A LOT more with Royal in a standard room. Their butler did make dinner reservations for all of us, so that was nice. But again, Royal is just a much better product. 

Yes - RC is better for non suites, but MSC is better for YC and RC doesn’t come close in that regard. Our butler on MSC was far better than our Genie in Star class.

Sky and sea class also do not include drinks the YC includes, nor do they include Butler like even interior YC cabins get.

Would I stay outside YC on MSC - definitely not.

Would I sail in YC on MSC over sea and Sky class on Royal - definitely

Edited by Spurschick

18 hours ago, Fitzget said:

I don't wanna complain too much here as I'm not one for complaining. We had a great time regardless, and the ship was beautiful. But by the end of the cruise, we had named them "Spirit Airlines of the Seas".  They nickel and dime you for everything, even shows. Drink package not available at shows or in certain dining venues. Only main dining room and buffet were included, everything else, even little cafes, were extra. Not a single other complimentary venue. It just wasn't Royal, and it wasn't our cup of tea. But like I said, we were on a cruise and had a great time, so that's really all that matters. 

You should 't look at it as complaining. For those of us considering MSC it is very valuable to learn of other people's experience and opinions. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, blueslily said:

Congrats on starting cruising. 

I'm glad that MSC is in the mix which helps increase cruise options for folks that want additional options. I've sailed with MSC multiple times without any issues. Looking forward to my next sailing. 

Enjoy cruising!

I've cruised many times before - just not MSC until now. 

Look people, I wasn't coming here too complain about MSC but rather state my experience and the fact that I'm happy to be coming back to Royal. Like I said, we were on a cruise so we had a great time. It just wasn't OUR cup of tea. I wasn't saying this to deter anyone from MSC, nor was I trying to tell people that their experiences were wrong. I was merely explaining WHY we're back loyal to Royal. That's all. If you take issue with what I said, then you just need to calm down. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Fitzget said:

Haven't been on a cruise since pre-covid, until our bday cruise we just took last week - on MSC. Never again. I have learned my lesson and will never stray again. Well, at least not with MSC. Booking Harmony for October, and bringing my 82 year old mother, who has never been on a cruise. She's never been interested, until now. Anyway, she has a ton of questions and she's actually excited, which makes me happy because she has barely left the house since early 2020, when her partner passed, and then Covid hit. Does my heart happy that she's ready to travel again, and I get to take her on her first cruise. I can't wait to see her face when she boards Harmony! I don't think she really has any idea how massive the ship actually is. 

That's wonderful that you are taking a family cruise with your mom.  The Harmony is a great ship.  If you can sign up for assigned dining.  Also, download the app and try to make show reservations for mom 30 days out.  The first day can be overwhelming.  We had lunch in Chops on our embarkation day and it was a great start to the cruise.  I don't know if you still can do that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Didn't NCL try this a while ago? I think they stopped as I never see it mentioned any longer. 

I cruised ncl many times but not in last 15 plus years , have not seen anyone charging in my 75 cruises. 

Sorry but part of the lure of cruising is for the abundance of included food and entertainment.  I reluctantly gave-in to the charging for Specialty Restaurants because it was an upgrade of the quality and individual prep., of food.  But, I'll not pay for the entertainment.  The entertainment on a cruise is generally entertainer wantabes or hasbeens.  Yes, that's my opinion.  Doesn't have to be yours!    Note: I didn't say it was bad entertainment, well except for Cats, nobody can make that good entertainment.  Again, my opinion. But they aren't on the A list and some have impressive resumes. But, it isn't good enough for an admission fee.   

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1

While I said I never paid for entertainment, that’s not entirely true since we book a music charter every year that is way more expensive than normal cruises, but they have some rock and roll hall of famers like Michael McDonald, plus we have seen America, Boz Scaggs, B J Thomas, Rita Coolidge , Todd Rundgren etc etc. fun cruises you get to talk to them , they sign albums etc . Next one is March .

• Like 1

And sometimes people book for the ports. I have the one rust bucket booked because it's a 14 day journey cruise out of texas to ports I'd have to fly to florida to get to. I did a few after covid, a lot of pay restaurants and had cheers on those. I like their surf n turf in their steak restaurant which rcl no longer offers as included.. and their white pizza. 

I admit I'll miss my 5 included drinks and free days of wifi. But I'll see some new ports. I'd also do jubilee when it comes out. For the new foods. Variety is sometimes good. Rcl I can eat what's included. Carnival I do more pay restaurants but they are priced better too. Wish they offered planner deals like rcl. Makes me like rcl food and perks more. Sometimes it's not about the ship or best food or I'd be on HAL. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fitzget said:

Look people, I wasn't coming here too complain about MSC but rather state my experience and the fact that I'm happy to be coming back to Royal. Like I said, we were on a cruise so we had a great time. It just wasn't OUR cup of tea. I wasn't saying this to deter anyone from MSC, nor was I trying to tell people that their experiences were wrong. I was merely explaining WHY we're back loyal to Royal. That's all. If you take issue with what I said, then you just need to calm down. 

Welcome back to RC. Thanks for sharing your positive and negative opinions and experiences. I enjoy reading others point of views. Over the years I've come across some good info shared by a few here on CC. Some are still on CC and some have cruised on. But we would never book or not book a cruise line, itinerary, ship, etc. based on someone's positive or negative opinions or experiences. No matter the cruise line. For me, what's said on CC stays on CC.  

• Like 2