LGBT meet ups on NCL

Sydneyberlin

We’ll be on a two weeks Panama Canal cruise on the Encore in April and are wondering if we should check out the LGBT+ meet-ups- I believe NCL still uses that ridiculous “Friends of Dorothy” term from the 50ies still 🙄

Has anyone ever been? It seems to be unhosted and we’re scared to rock up at the bar and all we see is some old cronies searching for fresh meat. But maybe it’s totally fun and we’re missing out? Would love to get to know some fellow gay cruisers tbh.

If it matters, mid 40ies couple from Australia (one true Aussie, one German). Tend to get along well with Americans and love a tipple (or two, or three or 12…)

• Like 2

We (2 guys, early 60's) have been on 15+ cruises on NCL and we have met many, many wonderful people through these meetups.  Both men and women, almost always couples, from all over the world.  While they have mostly skewed older (over 40), there have also been some younger folks.  This may be because we tend to choose longer itineraries.  On some sailings, we have become fast friends with just one other couple on board, while other times there has been a large, gregarious group. Give it a try the first couple nights, as sometimes people don't make it on embarkation day.  We have also found that once you meet others, you can adjust the meetup time and place to suit your needs.  Don't miss out on the chance to meet some really great people!

• Like 2

It's all the luck of the draw based on who's on board. 

I've been on a few cruise lines, their responsibility ends at a place and time.  At that point it's up to people to show up. 

I've had experiences where 20 guys showed up every night ready to go and it carried into a late dinner/post dinner.  And I'm still in touch with several of them. 

I've also been on cruises where it was a drink with another couple and we went our separate ways after.

The one consistent thing is the first night is the night to go. A lot of people make their decision whether to continue going or find something else to do based on that first night. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My wife and I are on the Gem right now. The listing in the Daily is “LGBTQIA+ Meet and Greet,” no Dorothy used. I wrote to NCL years ago to urge them to drop that closet (and gay male-centric) name; it took them a while to do it. 

I agree that it’s important to go the first night, as you can generally get a good feel about whether you want to go back. In our experience, the folks at the gatherings have been mostly male. 

There’s a large group of gay men on board this cruise. I think they may be with Daddy Cruise. (Looks like a Pied Piper competitor.) I’d never heard of them till I saw one of the guys last night wearing a “Daddy Cruise” lanyard. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

My wife and I are on the Gem right now. The listing in the Daily is “LGBTQIA+ Meet and Greet,” no Dorothy used. I wrote to NCL years ago to urge them to drop that closet (and gay male-centric) name; it took them a while to do it. 

Ironically, the one time I wound up being sociable with a couple, they were lesbians though I met them on the roll call board, not at the mixer.  We had a similar check-in time (this was in the age of on-site testing) and there weren't a ton of people there.  Plus, I picked them up on my gaydar (lesdar?) and intro'd myself.  We sat together while waiting for our results and, while we didn't hang out, per se, we always chatted when we crossed paths. 

It's luck of the draw depending on who is on your cruise.  Sometimes it's a fun group; sometimes it's pretty blah.  same with the singles/solos groups, TBH.  In both cases, though, the general vibe is more "hey let's meet some fun people to possibly hang out with" rather than "shopping the meat market" -- no need to be scared.

• Thanks 1

last time i sailed on Ncl was pre-covid, but the LGBT+ meet ups were hosted the first and second time.  we had a fairly large group ( I would guess about 20) that met in one of the lounges, and someone from NCL

( a "family member") had provided the group with a couple bottles of champagne.  I enjoy going the first few nights to meet folks, but after that, you sort of meet up without the group.  And FYI....just because someone is over 40 ( in my case, over 60), DOES NOT MEAN I AM LOOKING FOR FRESH MEAT!!!!!    I have met many many many " young" folks on ships that think of a cruise as a floating bath house.

• Thanks 1

I haven't seen "Friends of Dorothy" listed for about 10 years.  I was very disappointed when it was dropped.  At the first meet up we'd always place bets on which night the first person would show up asking who Dorothy was and why did she have so many friends.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I was on the Gem in January and they just called it the LGBTQIA+ Meeting. It was unhosted but listed each day in the FreeStyle Daily and usually at a bar or lounge on the ship. You never know when they'll be a group on the ship. As Turtle06 mentioned there is a large group on that particular voyage as I know someone who is also a FOD who is still sailing on that ship (since I got off on January 11th). It was a great group of folks and three of us are still in touch. Turn up and see how it goes. Doesn't hurt and if you don't like it, you are not forced to return the remainder of the cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:And FYI....just because someone is over 40 ( in my case, over 60), DOES NOT MEAN I AM LOOKING FOR FRESH MEAT!!!!!    I have met many many many " young" folks on ships that think of a cruise as a floating bath house.

My sincere apologies, that is not what I was intending to say and I realise that it might have come across that way so sorry. We have many gay friends of all ages, some of who are our dearest friends.

And you are correct, I wouldn’t be too exited about younger guys either who somehow think a cruise ship is a gay sauna. There’s a reason we avoid specific “Gay cruises” like the plague.

My stepchild went on the first night on our May European cruise. They said it was ok- not a lot of people and none with their same interests. So, I think it really depends on the mix on the particular cruise. They still went a couple of nights and had fun. 

• Thanks 1

We've enjoyed a few NCL cruises in the last year. Each time we noticed plenty of family walking around as couples. I'm sure I saw a few singles, but can't really verify that, especially since we don't attend the LGBTQUIA+ alphabet soup gatherings. We're not interested in really socializing with anyone, but they definitely have dropped the "Friends of Dorothy" moniker, much to my chagrin. 

Just back from a Panama Canal cruise on the Joy. Went to the meet ups everyday, it’s luck if the draw who shows up, we were mostly men. About half were older couples, age 60 plus, who usually came for a drink and then had dinner reservations, the other half of the group (pictured) were solo travellers plus two couples in their 30s. It was a great way to make friends, and no one seemed to show up looking for a ‘hook up’. We formed a trivia team (and won in progressive, second photo), went on some excursions together, had some meals together….and other times did our own things. Everyone was great. Glad I showed up on the first day and introduced myself. Hope you guys enjoy your cruise as much as I did!

BD2306E9-971F-43A9-87D0-AE14260B5D6A.jpeg

153F5632-2B67-4AC4-8D8C-C3453EDDD182.jpeg

AAFE2784-F3D9-4E01-A90D-8E4AB1B505ED.jpeg

3788F711-1978-453A-AD0C-0F6BFE5F9031.jpeg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2023 at 2:14 PM, Megamixer said:

I haven't seen "Friends of Dorothy" listed for about 10 years.  I was very disappointed when it was dropped.  At the first meet up we'd always place bets on which night the first person would show up asking who Dorothy was and why did she have so many friends.  

I heard a similar story from a passenger I met on a cruise several years ago.  He had been on a few NCL cruises before and had noticed the "Friends of Bill W." listing in the Freestyle Daily schedule on each of his previous cruises.  He said he became curious once and wanted to find out who this Bill W. was and how he managed to travel on so many of the same cruises.  He decided to crash the party, but figured he ought to bring along a party favor, so he stopped by the bar to pick up a bucket of beers.  When he got to the meeting, he tried to bluff his way in by saying "oh yeah, I'm a friend of Bill's - he and I go way back."  Needless to say, neither he nor his beers made it through the door.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

On our last cruise to Alaska, we went the first night just to see.  We only ended up going that first night, but most of us kept in contact throughout the cruise and did our stop to Victoria together at the end of the cruise.  Most I am still friends with through social media.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PhillyTravelBug said:

On our last cruise to Alaska, we went the first night just to see.  We only ended up going that first night, but most of us kept in contact throughout the cruise and did our stop to Victoria together at the end of the cruise.  Most I am still friends with through social media.

Yep- first night is our firm intention too when we get on our next cruise in less than two weeks time. Just hoping we won’t be too jet lagged- the track

from Australia via Japan will be brutal, no doubt!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PhillyTravelBug said:

we went the first night just to see.  

I agree, it's a good idea to go the first night, and maybe even the second (since the first night can be really hectic for some folks), and get a sense of the group.  

• Thanks 1