Forward Facing Cabin

ImperialLady

We booked a forward facing cabin for our Alaska cruise.  Although it states on Princess website that the balcony can only be used in port, our Princess Vacation Planner says it it usable at all times. Has anyone had any experience with whether the balcony is usable at all times or not?  Thanks

On Royal class ships we try to book L101.  Most forward with a huge balcony.   Whilst at sea, it does get windy, however if you sit closer to the sliding door,  you’re a bit more protected from the wind.  Cruising slowly is no problem at all.  The views are breathtaking from these balconies and we love it.  However, you do feel motion, being that far forward and that high up.  If you have motion issues, you may need meds.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

On Royal class ships we try to book L101.  Most forward with a huge balcony.   Whilst at sea, it does get windy, however if you sit closer to the sliding door,  you’re a bit more protected from the wind.  Cruising slowly is no problem at all.  The views are breathtaking from these balconies and we love it.  However, you do feel motion, being that far forward and that high up.  If you have motion issues, you may need meds.

That is the cabin we have booked L101 on the Majestic and our family have L103. We were told that the views are fantastic for Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Natl Park. I have only experienced motion sickness once while in a storm. But will take meds just in case. Thank you for your reply.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, ImperialLady said:

That is the cabin we have booked L101 on the Majestic and our family have L103. We were told that the views are fantastic for Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Natl Park. I have only experienced motion sickness once while in a storm. But will take meds just in case. Thank you for your reply.

You are most welcome.  Enjoy your Alaska cruise!

• Like 1

We had a lovely forward cabin in the Regal on the Lido deck. You may use the balcony at any time. However, you need to keep the drapes closed at night to prevent light interfering with the Bridge. Otherwise, enjoy your balcony, even at night as long as your lights are completely turned off.

We have stayed in cabin  M101 on the Royal Princess and on the Enchanted Princess.  It has turned into one of our favorite locations.  Surprisingly the wind was never an issue, even on sea days.  We both thought we have had balconies on the port/starboard side that experienced more wind.  We think the angled metal at the front of the balcony directs most of the wind over the top.  Enjoy your cruise.

• 7 months later...

We are looking at booking either L103 or L104 Majestic Princess. My question is this overlooked at all?

We have never been on Majestic so I have been trying to find which balconies are covered, exposed to upper decks re privacy etc. 

Thanks in advance

On 1/30/2023 at 8:39 AM, ImperialLady said:

We booked a forward facing cabin for our Alaska cruise.  Although it states on Princess website that the balcony can only be used in port, our Princess Vacation Planner says it it usable at all times. Has anyone had any experience with whether the balcony is usable at all times or not?  Thanks

On a cruise out of New York, on another cruise line, we had a forward facing cabin.  We also had two chaise loungers; and when  we were reclining on the loungers, there was absolutely no problem or issues.  But, when we stood up, (pass the rail), it was very windy.  As a matter of fact, a women in the adjacent cabin lose her hat when she stood up, got blown away!   Also, you have to keep your curtains closed at night, not to interfere with the bridge.  And, with a forward facing cabin, you are going to have a lot of walking to get to the restaurants, shops, etc. 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2023 at 8:38 AM, Pickels said:

And, with a forward facing cabin, you are going to have a lot of walking to get to the restaurants, shops, etc. 

It's a big disadvantage of all those forward cabins.

It's a hike to go anywhere. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

It's a big disadvantage of all those forward cabins.

It's a hike to go anywhere. 

So true!  However, it’s about the only exercise that I get, so for me it’s a bonus. lol. The experts say you need to do 10,000 steps per day to maintain a healthy heart.  I don’t even come close when I’m cruising!

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

So true!  However, it’s about the only exercise that I get, so for me it’s a bonus. lol. The experts say you need to do 10,000 steps per day to maintain a healthy heart.  I don’t even come close when I’m cruising!

My old body just can't handle that many steps each day as I have sciatica. I'll be lucky to do 3,000 on an active day.

13 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

My old body just can't handle that many steps each day as I have sciatica. I'll be lucky to do 3,000 on an active day.

I hear ya!  Both my knees are bad and I’m thinking my right hip is turning on me, too.  I probably do as many steps as you, maybe less.  I don’t monitor myself.  My husband has a watch that tracks everything, but I’m not that dedicated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Latest review of "steps per day"; 10,000 is old school, new research indicates that 6,000 is the new norm and has benefits! 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2023 at 4:39 AM, ImperialLady said:

On 1/30/2023 at 10:50 PM, nini said:

We had a lovely forward cabin in the Regal on the Lido deck. You may use the balcony at any time. However, you need to keep the drapes closed at night to prevent light interfering with the Bridge. Otherwise, enjoy your balcony, even at night as long as your lights are completely turned off.

Thank all of u for your replies...we didn't get to use the balcony as much as we would have liked to, however it was worth every drop of rain (we had a lot but didn't allow it to deter us at all) going thru glacier bay was nothing less TO,. EVERY TIME WE WERE ON THE BALCONY WE SAW SOMETHING THAT TOOK OUR BREATH AWAY. We will book a forward facing balcony every chance we get. Although the waters was rough several time none of us got sea sick and the motion lulled us to sleep every night. We are on our way to Vancouver right now.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ImperialLady said:

Thank all of u for your replies...we didn't get to use the balcony as much as we would have liked to, however it was worth every drop of rain (we had a lot but didn't allow it to deter us at all) going thru glacier bay was nothing less TO,. EVERY TIME WE WERE ON THE BALCONY WE SAW SOMETHING THAT TOOK OUR BREATH AWAY. We will book a forward facing balcony every chance we get. Although the waters was rough several time none of us got sea sick and the motion lulled us to sleep every night. We are on our way to Vancouver right now.

So happy you enjoyed your cabin and your cruise!  Booked this very cabin on Enchanted Princess for our Canada New England cruise in 2024 and we know we’ll love it.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 1:12 AM, Lady Arwen said:

We have just booked L103 on Majestic. Thanks for your tips. It’s our first cruise on a royal class so looking forward to the experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ImperialLady said:

We just cruised Alaska in may (Vancouver return) in a regular balcony and it was the most amazing scenery ever! It would have been a dream in the front one.

• Like 1

Concerning all the steps needed to go anywhere from a forward-facing (or a near-the-front-of-the-ship) cabin.... we are recently off a B2B on Royal Princess, in one of those forward-facing rooms.  As we didn't have to disembark between cruises, I used the time that day to do laundry onboard.  I made three trips to/from the laundry room (start washer / move clothes to dryer / reclaim clean, dry clothes).  I kept track of my steps:  2, 275!  So, those steps DO add up!

• Like 4