New to MSC- what can I bring onboard?

Michael Scott

Long time Carnival sailor looking to try something new so I booked an MSC cruise in March. I'm having trouble finding "the rules" so I thought I would ask. Am I allowed to bring ant liquor/beer on board an MSC ship? What about returning to the ship from a port, can I bring any liquor/beer on board then?

Last thing, is there a cigar smoking area on board a MSC (Mervaglia, actually) ship?

Thank you,

Michael Scott

Scranton, PA

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Michael Scott said:

Long time Carnival sailor looking to try something new so I booked an MSC cruise in March. I'm having trouble finding "the rules" so I thought I would ask. Am I allowed to bring ant liquor/beer on board an MSC ship? What about returning to the ship from a port, can I bring any liquor/beer on board then?

Last thing, is there a cigar smoking area on board a MSC (Mervaglia, actually) ship?

Thank you,

Michael Scott

Scranton, PA

No, you may not bring any drinks on board, not even non-alkoholic.

Thanks for asking this I was wondering the same thing. 

Will be our first MSC cruise March 16 on Meraviglia - very excited  I'm so used to the RCCL system I'm stumbling a little figuring things out with MSC but I'm getting there.  I figured out how to log in last night and saw my cabin allocation and details YIPPY, excursions available etc! 

Very excited to try something new especially after our last 2 experiences with RCCL ... I think it's time to move on

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Michael Scott said:

Thank you,

Michael Scott

Scranton, PA

Is Jan coming along? 😉

1 hour ago, CTP said:

Thanks for asking this I was wondering the same thing. 

Will be our first MSC cruise March 16 on Meraviglia - very excited  I'm so used to the RCCL system I'm stumbling a little figuring things out with MSC but I'm getting there.  I figured out how to log in last night and saw my cabin allocation and details YIPPY, excursions available etc! 

Very excited to try something new especially after our last 2 experiences with RCCL ... I think it's time to move on

CTP, I feel the same way about Carnival...might be time to move on so I thought I would try MSC. Funny, I am also stumbling a little with MSC but I suppose I did with Carnival 10 years ago, too.

Michael Scott

Scranton, PA

So what is making you jump 

ship from Carnival to MSC?

I know we gave up on Carnival about 10 years ago because of the rise of  “over indulgers” who couldn’t handle their alcohol. 

So I’m interested in hearing what’s finally made you leave! 

2 hours ago, Michael Scott said:

Thank you,

Michael Scott

Scranton, PA

At embarkation, as already stated, you cannot bring any beverages on board with you. However at Ports, upon return to the ship, there is a belt/security that you need to put bags, etc.onto but we have found that any beverages purchases are not taken from you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, styles27 said:

So what is making you jump 

ship from Carnival to MSC?

I know we gave up on Carnival about 10 years ago because of the rise of  “over indulgers” who couldn’t handle their alcohol. 

So I’m interested in hearing what’s finally made you leave! 

Well, we haven't completely left, just seeing what else is available. But...what you said played a role in it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Michael Scott said:

Well, we haven't completely left, just seeing what else is available. But...what you said played a role in it.

It’s unfortunate for sure.  
Sadly our last MSC cruise a few weeks ago was a similar experience. 

Their pricing is so much less than the rest that we saw a change in the passengers this time from our first 2 MSC cruises. 

I do think cruising during New Years was part of the problem, so hopefully you won’t have that experience. 

Divina has a designated cigar lounge. (Not sure what ship you’re going on)

Hope you have a positive experience!

Edited by styles27
Spelling

15 minutes ago, styles27 said:

It’s unfortunate for sure.  
Sadly our last MSC cruise a few weeks ago was a similar experience. 

Their pricing is so much less than the rest that we saw a change in the passengers this time from our first 2 MSC cruises. 

I do think cruising during New Years was part of the problem, so hopefully you won’t have that experience. 

Divina has a designated cigar lounge. (Not sure what ship you’re going on)

Hope you have a positive experience!

Thank you. 

• Like 1

Just now, go.without.you said:

Really no food? I know I know, it's like taking sand to the beach. What about candy bars (I like to give to the crew) or Kind bars I like to snack on while on an excursion? 

You can bring packaged snacks. We always bring nuts and power bars etc for excursions. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Worst balcony ever- probably 40 Sq ft in an aft cabin on 14th deck (room 14215). We could not even turn our chairs to face the boat's wake, instead we sat at 45 degree angles. Balcony was about 12 x 3 plus some inches...had to remove the small table just to get to the further seat.

Meals inconsistent, a couple good ones but mostly meh; desserts small and ordinary; lido/buffet deck offerings were mediocre.

Entertainment was equally ordinary, from shows to individual performers around the ship and there weren't enough of them. 

IMO, this line offers nothing over Carnival or Royal and the balcony is a deal-breaker for me.

Thank you,

Michael

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/31/2023 at 9:31 AM, go.without.you said:

Really no food? I know I know, it's like taking sand to the beach. What about candy bars (I like to give to the crew) or Kind bars I like to snack on while on an excursion? 

I took snacks back in December! Had no idea about the rule. Not sure if it was overlooked.

On 3/12/2023 at 6:29 PM, Michael Scott said:

Worst balcony ever- probably 40 Sq ft in an aft cabin on 14th deck (room 14215). We could not even turn our chairs to face the boat's wake, instead we sat at 45 degree angles. Balcony was about 12 x 3 plus some inches...had to remove the small table just to get to the further seat.

IMO, this line offers nothing over Carnival or Royal and the balcony is a deal-breaker for me.

Did YOU choose this cabin, or did you book Bella get assigned it?  In the first case you can see on the deckplans that it's an adjoining cabin, and the balcony is angled. So two strikes.  If you booked Bella and were assigned it, then you get what you paid for and shouldn't hold the cruise line at fault.  Give 'em another try.

On 4/4/2023 at 7:39 AM, Morgsmom said:

Did YOU choose this cabin, or did you book Bella get assigned it?  In the first case you can see on the deckplans that it's an adjoining cabin, and the balcony is angled. So two strikes.  If you booked Bella and were assigned it, then you get what you paid for and shouldn't hold the cruise line at fault.  Give 'em another try.

Hi, no I chose it (Fantastica). How does being an adjoining cabin affect it? Are those balconies smaller? 

Aft facing balconies on most ships will vary largely in size from deck to deck and even as you move outward from the ship’s centerline. 

Meraviglia deck 13 and 14 aft facing are much shallower than standard side facing.  Decks 10 to 12 can be extraordinarily deep, especially towards the center. Cruisedeckplans.com can be valuable to see what you are thinking about booking. 

11 hours ago, Até said:

Aft facing balconies on most ships will vary largely in size from deck to deck and even as you move outward from the ship’s centerline. 

Meraviglia deck 13 and 14 aft facing are much shallower than standard side facing.  Decks 10 to 12 can be extraordinarily deep, especially towards the center. Cruisedeckplans.com can be valuable to see what you are thinking about booking. 

I interpreted the question as to whether or not the presence of a connecting door between cabins had any impact on the size of the balcony - to which it does not.  I do agree that location on ship does! Thank you!