Voom- 1 device

As mentioned, any device.  You just log off one and log right onto the other.  I always go between my iPad and iPhone.  While I haven't tried it, I'm assuming anyone can also use your password to get into their device BUT you can't be on yours when they do.  Only one person, on one device, using your password at a time.  On our last cruise, I was told that I could make phone calls!!!!!  I was shocked.  NEVER had I been told that I could do that.  I questioned her time and time again, was she ABSOLUTELY certain, and she assured me that I would not get any charges from AT&T.......and I didn't.  Most likely I will be told something different on our cruise next month.

1 hour ago, Reijo said:

As mentioned, any device.  You just log off one and log right onto the other.  I always go between my iPad and iPhone.  While I haven't tried it, I'm assuming anyone can also use your password to get into their device BUT you can't be on yours when they do.  Only one person, on one device, using your password at a time.  On our last cruise, I was told that I could make phone calls!!!!!  I was shocked.  NEVER had I been told that I could do that.  I questioned her time and time again, was she ABSOLUTELY certain, and she assured me that I would not get any charges from AT&T.......and I didn't.  Most likely I will be told something different on our cruise next month.

It's called "wifi calling."  Since you will be on the ship, make sure your phone is placed in airplane mode.  If you have a wifi connection, turn wifi calling on in your phone.  You can also "facetime" if you have an iPhone.  Make sure you are in "airplane" mode of you may get charged ship charges of $2 a minute or more.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wineaux007 said:

It's called "wifi calling."  Since you will be on the ship, make sure your phone is placed in airplane mode.  If you have a wifi connection, turn wifi calling on in your phone.  You can also "facetime" if you have an iPhone.  Make sure you are in "airplane" mode of you may get charged ship charges of $2 a minute or more.

Thanks so much for the info.  In all of the cruises that I've been on, I was never told that I could make calls (wifi calls) from my phone until then.  Kinda freaked me out.  I halfway expected to have a tremendous charge on my phone bill when I got home.  I had just been told (numerous times) very different info, concerning different things,  from RCCL "IT" people so I was a bit skeptical.  I appreciate your info.

3 hours ago, Reijo said:

Thanks so much for the info.  In all of the cruises that I've been on, I was never told that I could make calls (wifi calls) from my phone until then.  Kinda freaked me out.  I halfway expected to have a tremendous charge on my phone bill when I got home.  I had just been told (numerous times) very different info, concerning different things,  from RCCL "IT" people so I was a bit skeptical.  I appreciate your info.

You need to setup your phone for wifi calling before you leave. You can always test by putting your phone in airplane mode at home, turning on wifi, then making a call. 

19 hours ago, new2cruising2006 said:

I was wondering how the voom 1 device works.  Does that mean I can only log in to the same device the entire trip or can I use multiple devices (such as phone, lap top, chrome book at separate times)?  I wasn't sure if it just meant only 1 device can be on at 1 time or only 1 device.  

One account can be used by any number of devices... just one at a time. We share a 1-device plan between 4 phones (2 work and 2 personal), an iPad, and a laptop. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

You need to setup your phone for wifi calling before you leave. You can always test by putting your phone in airplane mode at home, turning on wifi, then making a call. 

I have T-Mobile and turned my phone on airplane then made a call to Ireland.  Result - $3 a minute.  It works while on the cruise ship calling the U.S., but not in the U.S. calling Europe.  

2 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

I have T-Mobile and turned my phone on airplane then made a call to Ireland.  Result - $3 a minute.  It works while on the cruise ship calling the U.S., but not in the U.S. calling Europe.  

For those in the US, wifi calling puts you on a US network. So the rules are whatever you and your carrier coverage is. 

11 hours ago, Reijo said:

Put your phone in airplane mode. You can do all calls through Wi-Fi calling. You don’t get charged. 

The Zoom setup on Royal allows you to log onto several different devices as long as it's only 1 device at a time. We cruised MSC in January and they were very specific that only one device could be used for the entire cruise. We couldn't share the plan between phones or tablets as we do on Royal.

Barb

On 2/3/2023 at 10:17 AM, Wineaux007 said:

I thought you needed Surf & Stream Package to Facetime and use WIFI Calling.  It was my belief that Surf only allowed you to text and browse the internet, with no streaming nor calling.  Has this changed?

2 hours ago, Coochuck said:

I thought you needed Surf & Stream Package to Facetime and use WIFI Calling.  It was my belief that Surf only allowed you to text and browse the internet, with no streaming nor calling.  Has this changed?

We've done wifi calling and facetime using our free 24 hour D+ minutes.  Streaming not so much.  Lots and lots of buffering.  I guess it depends on the signal at the time.

2 hours ago, Coochuck said:

We don't facetime but have used WiFi calling many times without having surf and stream.

14 hours ago, Coochuck said:

Has this changed?

No, but fewer ships even have Surf. Any voice only functionality (wifi calling, voice only Facetime) works fine over Surf and some apps which use video may also work but may have break ups and poor quality.

• Like 1