Taxicabs in Reykjavik?

ladysail2

Will be in Reykjavik in Early September and have a few places I’d like to see.  We’ll be docked in the usual cruise ship port and I want to see the church, then visit the shopping street. Our hours are from 1pm one day to 1pm the next day….not really optimum for a day’s visit, being broken into two half-days.  So I was wondering if there are taxis in Reykjavik so I can get from one place to another quickly and easily.  This isn’t my first time in this port, but the first time I’ve had to go into the town.  Thank you for any information.  😊

I've visited Reykjavik before (although not via cruise) ... I've used Hreyfill for taxis and they are reliable: https://www.hreyfill.is/en/ 

Although many will say the city is relatively small, the cruise port terminal is quite a distance away from the downtown (1+ hour walk but 10 minute taxi ride). Once you get to downtown (Hallgrimskirkja church), a lot of the sights are within 15 minutes of walking distance (but everyone's concept of "walking distance" may vary). You'll still be able to visit Reykjavik in one day ;) 

10 hours ago, yocrui5e said:

I've visited Reykjavik before (although not via cruise) ... I've used Hreyfill for taxis and they are reliable: https://www.hreyfill.is/en/ 

Although many will say the city is relatively small, the cruise port terminal is quite a distance away from the downtown (1+ hour walk but 10 minute taxi ride). Once you get to downtown (Hallgrimskirkja church), a lot of the sights are within 15 minutes of walking distance (but everyone's concept of "walking distance" may vary). You'll still be able to visit Reykjavik in one day 😉

Thank you Yocrui5e……the cruise port did look quite far away for walking.  I did some research too and found that the taxi service is reliable and easy to call.  I appreciate your recommendation.  I normally walk just about anywhere once in a downtown core but the names of the streets are very different to my brain, that I’m afraid of becoming very lost. I do have maps which will help, and I’m not going to be too adventurous.  As long as I know I can get a taxi I will feel more relaxed.  😊

• Like 1

We found the taxi fare from ship to downtown was about the same price as the cruise shuttle (for 2 people that is.)   So the taxi worked well.    I asked the driver where to catch a taxi for the return and they said either at the taxi stand below, or they would be circling the park (with the founder statue, etc.)   there were not as many taxis as you would see in a larger city, so it was good to know where to look when we wanted to return.

taxi iceland.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CalcDiva said:

@PhillyTravelBug  We booked with Flybus for airport to hotel transfer.  We are still comparing prices for transportation from hotel to cruise port, but we are staying further out of the city center so it’s a bit more limited.

Thank you so much! Just looked this up and it goes right from the airport to our hotel for just under 35 USD.

Whatever you all do, do NOT take a taxi from Keflavik (KEF) airport to Reykjavik - it is a 35 mile (50 km) ride and it will cost you upwards of $200! I highly recommend the Flybus as some of you have suggested. 

(If you are somehow landing at Reykjavik airport, then taking a taxi should be okay as it's just a few miles from the city centre. Most flights from outside Iceland would fly into Keflavik.)

Edited by yocrui5e
the airport -> Keflavik airport

Grayline bus from Keflavik to Reykjavik is 24 euros ($25) per person

Taxis can be $207 for 4 people (2023 as listed on Icelandair), so still twice as much per person!

That said, I'd spend twice as much for the speed, availability, comfort and drop-off location (right in front of hotel) if travelling with at least 3 other people

Edited by yocrui5e

On 2/3/2023 at 5:36 PM, ladysail2 said:

Will be in Reykjavik in Early September and have a few places I’d like to see.  We’ll be docked in the usual cruise ship port and I want to see the church, then visit the shopping street. 

Don’t forget to factor in Sunday shopping hours if it applies, and church services.

On 2/9/2023 at 11:52 PM, 3Shelaghs said:

Don’t forget to factor in Sunday shopping hours if it applies, and church services.

Thanks for the tip but we’ll be in Reykjavik on a Saturday. Shopping hours are shorter but at least shops are open.  I made a mistake in my opening statement. We’re there from 11am to 9 pm.   My plan is to go to the shopping street for a look, then go to the church and then have dinner somewhere. 

On 2/8/2023 at 9:55 AM, Nitemare said:

Taxis are easy to find at the airport.  Recent reports on TripAdvisor have been that the fare is about $125.  Worth it vs. the Flybus for 3 or 4 people, not necessarily so for 1 or 2.

https://airportdirect.is

I found this company to be very reasonably priced. They offer both shared and private transfers including meet and greet for less than a taxi. 

On 2/5/2023 at 11:57 AM, CalcDiva said:

@PhillyTravelBug  We booked with Flybus for airport to hotel transfer.  We are still comparing prices for transportation from hotel to cruise port, but we are staying further out of the city center so it’s a bit more limited.

The issue with flybus for me is it is very inconvenient. It only drops off at the bus terminal in Reykjavik, then you need to transfer to a different bus to get to your hotel. Having to unload and reload luggage is just not worth saving a few $. 

I much prefer a direct door to door shuttle which is around $50 per person.

Edited by WNcruiser