Windjammer desserts look way better than they taste

time4u2go

We're just off Allure, and while I have never liked the desserts in WJ before, I was pleasantly surprised this time! There seemed to be a lot of crossover or similarity between the desserts in MDR and WJ, more than I've ever seen. So perhaps the quality of MDR desserts has decreased slightly, but I thought it brought up the quality of the WJ desserts. There also seem to be fewer now in WJ. It feels like the kitchen is now just making a set of desserts, one form of that dessert is served in the MDR and another version is served all over the rest of the ship (there was a small chocolate cake that I saw in WJ, Park Cafe and Cafe Promenade all week - the exact same one, and it tasted fairly good). There was always a bread pudding in WJ that was pretty good with a different flavor every day. I saw them serving hard ice cream several times in WJ - the last night, there was a whole sunday bar with toppings. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

We're just off Allure, and while I have never liked the desserts in WJ before, I was pleasantly surprised this time! There seemed to be a lot of crossover or similarity between the desserts in MDR and WJ, more than I've ever seen. So perhaps the quality of MDR desserts has decreased slightly, but I thought it brought up the quality of the WJ desserts. There also seem to be fewer now in WJ. It feels like the kitchen is now just making a set of desserts, one form of that dessert is served in the MDR and another version is served all over the rest of the ship (there was a small chocolate cake that I saw in WJ, Park Cafe and Cafe Promenade all week - the exact same one, and it tasted fairly good). There was always a bread pudding in WJ that was pretty good with a different flavor every day. I saw them serving hard ice cream several times in WJ - the last night, there was a whole sunday bar with toppings. 

I think it's a good idea for them to focus on fewer desserts in the Windjammer. It seems like they always have 20 or 30 different desserts, none of which are very good. Cutting it down to 5 or 10 would hopefully allow them to have better quality.

• Like 1

My only wish for the WJ and RCCL's eateries, in general, is that they would learn how to make an authentic NY-style Cheesecake.  Not the cheesecake that is light and fluffy.  The kind that is so heavy and thick you almost need a dolly to take it back to your table.  Oh, and I prefer no toppings.  But, that's me.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, WarGuyEd said:

I've said for awhile that these chefs on these ships need to take some cooking/baking lessons from some southern grandmothers!

yes I agree or from Amish women.  Most of the dessert taste like air and not that good.

I found the desserts in the buffet on NCL to be rather good and a lot tasted like home made too.

• Like 2

On 2/7/2023 at 11:47 AM, time4u2go said:

Maybe it's just me, but I find that desserts in the Windjammer look really nice, but are almost always disappointing in how they taste.  They have little flavor (other than sweet).  Does anyone else have any opinion on this?

They are just fine.

• Like 2

On 2/7/2023 at 11:30 AM, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Stick to the ranger cookies. They rarely disappoint.

On 2/7/2023 at 12:08 PM, immjs20 said:

Those coconut ranger cookies others have said!  Stick with them!

Just an FYI, if you ever visit Texas, go into an HEB and try their "Cowboy" cookies.  When we go to Texas to visit with my old Army buddy there, we get 5 - 10 packages (you've got to get there early) of them to bring back home and I also send some to my grandson in Indiana who absolutely loves 'em.  I think they taste much like the "Ranger" cookies on RCCL, but better.  I don't remember if they actually have Coconut in them, but it tastes like it to me.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, VTSKIandCRUISEGUY said:

Coconut Ranger cookies have been my go to dessert since my first Royal cruise 20 years ago.

yes and I loved the cookies with white chocolate/cranberries/cashews.

Back in 2016-2018 I used to see them a lot on Anthem or Oasis class, but now I see less and less.

A couple of times I learned the officers come and grab them to take to the bridge.  Grrrrr

And on my last two ships, I only saw the dark chocolate cookies with peanut butter chips once.

I told one manager in the WJ to just skip the stupid jello and give us more cookies.  He just smiled.

Now I have noticed in the beginning of the cruise folks will grab a dozen to take back to room. I took will do this.  RCI is just getting stingy with cookies more and more. 

• Like 2

Hello,

I don't think the chilled desserts in the WJ taste bad, it's that they don't taste of anything and are there for appearance only.

What I do like are the hot dishes, called 'gunge puddings' from my university halls of residence refectory days, that come with hot sauce that you will probably burn yourself trying to ladle out of the pot. Here appearance counts for nothing and it's all in the eating.

Regards,

Cublet

Just my own experience:

I've found that many, not all, desert bakery items on RCCL ships are much like what we got in the local bakeries in Germany (the last time I lived there was 1985 - 1988) when I lived there, lacking in sugar.  Whipped Cream is just that, not much added if anything.  The fillings are very bland, many of us Americans like/love sugar/sweetness.  But, I've always really enjoyed their dinner rolls.  

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

Just my own experience:

I've found that many, not all, desert bakery items on RCCL ships are much like what we got in the local bakeries in Germany (the last time I lived there was 1985 - 1988) when I lived there, lacking in sugar.  Whipped Cream is just that, not much added if anything.  The fillings are very bland, many of us Americans like/love sugar/sweetness.  But, I've always really enjoyed their dinner rolls.  

But you get the ice cream sunday bar in your fancy dancy suite!

8 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

But you get the ice cream sunday bar in your fancy dancy suite!

We had the ice cream sunday bar on Allure in the WJ at least twice - once in the dessert area and once on rolling carts pushed around. It may have been there more than twice; that is just when we saw it.