NCL drops a Port, not refund of Port fees and Taxes

Beer Belly

On 2/13/2023 at 5:16 AM, Beer Belly said:

Not going detail of how I know it was food poisoning, I have no idea if anyone else was effected as I did not report it . I was the only one to eat a certain dish while dining with friends, and the only one who went down till everything came up, that was one day, the following two days I was leary on any food

Sometimes a histamine intolerance can have similar symptoms as food poising.  Multiple people could eat the same dish, but only the person with the intolerance would get sick. 

21 hours ago, disneydave said:

I'm sure it's in the contract that they keep the fees; sadly, other lines refund the fees if a port is missed  

Please cite the source of this information from the contract.

Edited by KSSS2013

On 2/12/2023 at 10:45 AM, ngrund said:

Its not the $10, its the principle/ethics on the part of NCL , and if there is refund due it should be automatic.

10 bucks each for 3 or 4 thousand passengers adds up

Not for me it doesn't.  

The day I understand all the ins and outs of running a massive cruise ship is the day I'll "just know" it was unfair of them to keep a port fee for a port we ended up missing. To me, there are just too many variables and unknowns to make that kind of assumption. FWIW, we did get a refund on the Epic in December due to a missed port, but that occurred while underway, not prior to departure as in the case of Mr. @Beer Belly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I keep thinking, those who say "It's only $10", and I (and others) state it's the principal, ethical, or whatever, those who say "It's only $10", feel free to hand over $10 to those of us who feel differently.....it's only $10 😂. Anyhow, let's all just let it go as an experience and enjoy the cruise, I know I will, it is what it is I guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Beer Belly said:

feel free to hand over $10 to those of us who feel differently.....it's only $10 😂

Right, and I feel the same about people who say the Premium+ is so cheap, I'm like "well here's my NCL booking number, feel free to pay for my booze, then!." 😝

15 minutes ago, Beer Belly said:

I keep thinking, those who say "It's only $10", and I (and others) state it's the principal, ethical, or whatever, those who say "It's only $10", feel free to hand over $10 to those of us who feel differently.....it's only $10 😂. Anyhow, let's all just let it go as an experience and enjoy the cruise, I know I will, it is what it is I guess.

My point is, any time in line isn't worth $10 bucks to me while on vacation. For a $100, I would probably get in line.  YMMV. I'm not even sure any of us know how to calculate port fees...much less do it for 3,000 plus people.  

I'm all for letting it go...I have 3 cruises booked now, and will not be sweating this in the least.  Only one on NCL this April 1st...One on Celebrity and another on MSC...I will say I have missed ports on many cruises, not sure if I was refunded anything or not.  Wife is in charge.  🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG

23 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

My point is, any time in line isn't worth $10 bucks to me while on vacation. For a $100, I would probably get in line.  YMMV. I'm not even sure any of us know how to calculate port fees...much less do it for 3,000 plus people.  

I'm all for letting it go...I have 3 cruises booked now, and will not be sweating this in the least.  Only one on NCL this April 1st...One on Celebrity and another on MSC...I will say I have missed ports on many cruises, not sure if I was refunded anything or not.  Wife is in charge.  🙂

Shouldn't have to get in line or even request it; NCL should handle like Celebrity does and automatically do it.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, disneydave said:

Shouldn't have to get in line or even request it; NCL should handle like Celebrity does and automatically do it.  

I can comprehend that every cruise line does things a little different....over and out on this one.  

Sail on.  

On 2/14/2023 at 1:18 PM, Beer Belly said:

In my case for our upcoming cruise $10 a pop would be $60 as we are paying for six passengers.     

16 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Post 10 in this very thread?

That says they won't "compensate" you. It doesn't say they won't refund port fees if they're due.

They key thing people don't understand is that port fees are just estimated. So if they change a port or drop a port, it's possible that NCL is paying more that the passengers are charged. They don't come back and ask for more money, they just cover it.

I've stated earlier that I was proactively refunded an overcharge of port fees just a few weeks ago, so NCL does do it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

And then everyone, with washed hands or not, handle the SAME tongs in the Buffet!

I always laugh at this one. I enjoy watching people wash their hands before going to the buffet, then sitting down and eating something resembling food without washing their hands. Just for the record, this is exactly what I do...but I know what I'm doing and don't think my hands are any semblance of spick and span. 

But, oh my, @Lionkingrichard, how on earth did port fees and taxes put washy washy in your head? *Nevermind, I went through the thread to see the downward spiral*

On 2/13/2023 at 3:52 PM, ngrund said:

Hopefully someone that is on one of the Prima cruises before ours reports back on what happens.

Beer Belly (OP)  and I are on the last Prima trip to Bermuda for this season 5/7-5/14

Norfolk was cancelled on our Prima cruise. We were refunded the port fees (about $8) as a refundable OBC.

Folks here make it like they are out thousands of dollars. We missed ports on three NCL cruises last year and got refunded for all. Personally, we don't care about the loose change you get as refunded port fees,,, if we get it great, but it is nothing that we would get all worked up about. 

We missed two ports on our Iceland/Greenland cruise this summer on the Star. We did not get anything refunded. We definitely booked this cruise because of the ports and having 5 sea days on the Star was too much for us. (But yes, we understand it was due to the weather but man, we were bored!)

I did go ask guest relations on the ship about the port fees/taxes refund...and he said that it was already on my account. I asked him to show me and then he backtracked, and said oh, you'll have to contact NCL CS. That was the part that upset me--he wasn't mistaken, he was trying to lie to me.