WiFi Princess Cruises - can you tether?

Bungus

As I understand, many phones can tether from a cellular data signal to a wifi network the phone creates but cannot tether from a (ship) wifi to a phone wifi network because that would require running two wifi networks at the same time. Some phones may have the capability to share a wifi connection over a cable to your computer but I don't know these details.

You can freely switch the connection from one device to another (takes 1-2 minutes each switch) but only one device can be active at a time. I did that when I needed my laptop a few times and it worked great but you can't also use your phone during that time. I just kept the management page loaded on each device at all times so it was simple to push the switch command.

Edited by EconDoc

4 minutes ago, EconDoc said:

As I understand, many phones can tether from a cellular data signal to a wifi network the phone creates but cannot tether from a (ship) wifi to a phone wifi network because that would require running two wifi networks at the same time.

For some crazy reason, that is called wireless tethering.

Where are the oxymoron police?

Most of the current upper samsung phones can do wifi sharing.

I assume others can as well, but I have no knowledge of this.

(but, heck, this is the internet ... all phones can do that!)

An alternative for the original poster would be a travel router.

Make one wifi connection. and share it with multiple devices.

On the fourth hand, there are many, many complaints here about internet speed.

Sharing the connection just lets you share the pain with others. 🙂

My new Pixel 6 (Android v13) does tethering on cellular AND a wifi network. My old Moto G only supported tethering on cellular data. I'm guessing this is a new feature in the newer Android operating system.

I'm boarding Azamara Onward tomorrow. They have a new Starlink system that is very fast, per a Cc thread. I plan to see if I can share a 1-device wifi plan with tethering. 

BTW - If Android users are wondering about the meaning of "tethering", "Hotspot” is the name of this feature on Android, 

On 2/10/2023 at 8:26 PM, Roberto256 said:

An alternative for the original poster would be a travel router.

Make one wifi connection. and share it with multiple devices.

That does, of course, mean that to use the connection you have to be within the range of the router which would normally mean being in your cabin.

Never used this on Princess but have used it on other cruise lines without any problem.

18 minutes ago, georgiavol said:

I gotta say it..... Isn't the point of going on a cruise is to get away from our digital pacifiers lol?!?😁

Not necessarily. At home I usually have to many thing going on to devote lots of time to my movies. Cruising allots me the time to sit back & enjoy them as I like.

Different strokes I suppose. 

53 minutes ago, georgiavol said:

I gotta say it..... Isn't the point of going on a cruise is to get away from our digital pacifiers lol?!?😁

Maybe for you, but not everyone in the world is the same. Wouldn't it be a very boring world if everyone was the same? 

Our adult children and us thoroughly enjoy sharing pictures with each other in real time during our trips. 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2023 at 4:43 PM, david63 said:

That does, of course, mean that to use the connection you have to be within the range of the router which would normally mean being in your cabin.

No...all devices using the tethered signal just have to be near the phone.  The phone could be in the theater and friends/family tethered off of it (also in the theater...seated near you) would still have WiFi.

• Like 1