Looking for advice on Koningsdam Veranda location with Club Orange

dlca1

We booked a Holland America Cruise this weekend.  This will be our first Holland America cruise. (Koningsdam, Inside Passage Alaska,  Late July 2023).  (I was pointed to HAL from another line thanks to these forums) 
We decided to upgrade to Club Orange  (once again thanks to learning from others on this forum)

I'm now hoping to collect advice/tips on ideal veranda location (given our priorities below). I know similar questions have been posted before (I searched over and over)  I'm wondering if the advice would change with Club Orange (incremental cost with V-VH, VQ cabin type is non-factor) + balcony size is not huge priority for us. In case relevant, we will be multi-generational (kids (10,11), adults (45-50), granddad)

Valuable
- Having 4 Verandas next to each other with 2 of them connecting.

- Quiet location
- Convenient/Easy access (to Club Orange, Lido Buffet, getting on/off ship, elevators)  (One senior who walks slowly)
- Nice view from balcony 
- Quick/Easy access to public viewing areas.

Bonus
- Larger balcony

Not Important
- access to paid spa services
- access to bars

What would you do?

Current Location: 
- Beethoven (Deck 4)  AFT 4176-4182. (Our current reservations. Has larger balcony)

Alternate Options that are currently available:  

- Deck5  AFT: 5158-5192, 5203-5213
- Deck6  AFT: 6196-6208, 6199-6227. 
- Deck6  AFT MID 6177 + 6181-6187 (this location is closer to mid, but we would have to sacrifice 4 rooms being together. one  room is split off from other three)
- Deck7 and 8  - Not available
- Deck10 FORWARD (Plenty of availability on both sides of the ship.  Like the idea of getting a more expensive spa room.   Not sure how big of a concern we should have about sea-sickness on Alaska/Inside Passage/July-Aug sailing)
- Deck11 FORWARD (11014-11032)

It sounds like HAL has already optimized for price/cabin desirability. Would it be foolish to simply use cabin pricing to help pick the best remaining location?

Thanks in advance for your tips/suggestions. 

I would drop the Forward Spa cabins as an option.  Although you won’t feel much movement (the ship is super stable and cuts through marine conditions with ease) the balconies are small and they are a good distance from the Lido Market, Club Orange, and the Main Dining Room.  (Thinking of the slow-walking senior.)

Welcome to Holland America!

• Like 3

The view from the aft cabins is wonderful, BUT Koningsdam is one of HAL's largest ships. If you have a senior who walks slowly, I would advise against aft cabins and try to be closer to midship. CO, Lido, and (usually) gangways are closer to midship.

Look at the deck plans to see which options are close to elevators. 

Although you're likely to have a smooth ride, given that you're doing the inside passage, I would still say to avoid the aft cabins. I had the bounciest ride ever (except for a big storm in the North Atlantic) aft on K'dam. When the waves come at the stern, that ship slams and bangs down on them. 

I don't see the big attraction to the spa cabins. You get a yoga mat and I think that's about it. If you expect to use the spa a lot, like a pass to the thermal suite, the forward cabins are convenient for that.  But the spa cabins do not include a pass to the spa. 

• Like 2

Having been in 5160, I suggest you consider staterooms that include that. Club Orange, MDR, Tamarind and the aft entrance to Lido Market are all VERY close to the aft elevator. You will probably dine in those venues for the majority of your meals. The Sun Deck on 11 is just off the aft elevators. Makes it very convenient for one with mobility problems.

The fact that the Deck 5 aft elevator lobby has 2 entrances means very few will walk past the door to 5160. Since the stateroom is not in the indented portion, the views are good.

Others have made good points as well. There is no one perfect stateroom. The Promenade Deck is easily accessible from all elevators.

• Thanks 1

Agree, any deck midship and near the elevators would be the best choice to cover all bases.  

It is a hike to get from one end of the ship to the other. We just got off two very crowded holiday cruise segments,  but found the elevators were never crowded nor much of a wait.  

We also learned when we needed to traverse from one end of the ship to the other,  it just felt easier to take the elevators one of the the main promenade activity deck to cover that distance,  than walking down the very long cabin corridors .Exact same distance, but it just felt easier. 

The one area to avoid on your way to Club Orange's  the entrance to the lower main dining room at the start of the 5:30 as you wish dining time - the lobby filled with waiting passengers which spilled out around the hallways all the way down to Club Orange. So getting access to Club Orange by not using the rear elevator bank that puts you into the main dining room lobby would be one suggestion. 

We were on both Deck 4 -with the extended balcony (nice) and also Deck 8 - closer to the Lido deck - (nice)  - one location did not stand out over the other, since some things were close an other things were not in each case.  

But were we to do it again, we would pick something more in the center of the ship rather than either end. And we would pick Club Orange too. So you are off to a good start. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Having been in 5160, I suggest you consider staterooms that include that. Club Orange, MDR, Tamarind and the aft entrance to Lido Market are all VERY close to the aft elevator. You will probably dine in those venues for the majority of your meals. The Sun Deck on 11 is just off the aft elevators. Makes it very convenient for one with mobility problems.

The fact that the Deck 5 aft elevator lobby has 2 entrances means very few will walk past the door to 5160. Since the stateroom is not in the indented portion, the views are good.

Others have made good points as well. There is no one perfect stateroom. The Promenade Deck is easily accessible from all elevators.

I was on Rotterdam (sister ship to Konningsdam) in cabin 5160 also.  With my currently damaged knee it was very easy to reach most everything on board except the Main Stage and spa.  I would seriously consider this location for the reasons @Cruise Suzymentioned.  

10 hours ago, dlca1 said:

Deck6  AFT MID 6177 + 6181-6187 (this location is closer to mid, but we would have to sacrifice 4 rooms being together. one  room is split off from other three)

These cabins are actually AFT also on the starboard side of the AFT elevators.  One floor up and on the other side of the ship from the Port side Deck5  AFT: 5158-5192 that is the first option listed.  These two groups of cabins are basically the same area one deck separated.  To keep them all together I would for sure pick the Deck 5 AFT 5158-5192 area! (lower numbers are more toward forward)

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Thanks 1

It is a walk from one end of the ship to the other for some but, if you are eating in the Lido, CO or MDR it doesn’t make much difference as you are already aft 😉 

The aft deck balconies on Beethoven deck (deck 4) are substantially  deeper than the others.  If you enjoy time on the balcony I would definitely book those if you can find 4 in a row.  they do quickly so I would not wait too long.

I had one on the Koningsdam and didn’t hear any serious aft noise, nor did I find any serious difference in the motion of the ocean.  Had Club Orange and it was very handy for both CO, Lido and Sea View Pool.

CO dining room is aft - just around the corner from the MDR.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the additional feedback.   I think I've narrowed my choice down to the following options.

MID 6140-6146:   (Found a new block of rooms.)  Centrally located and convenient to aft and mid elevators.   Is on the indent section and saw pics of the boats below. Not sure how much that actually matters?

AFT 5160-5166:   super convenient to aft elevators and key areas we will be going to everyday. Re-assuring that @Cruise Suzy and @oakridger have vouched for 5160.  I like that it is on the outdent.

Are there any practical benefits to a Veranda on the indent? (e.g. more sheltered from wind/weather)?

What would you all pick between these two? Or am I splitting hairs at this point?

I think you can’t go wrong with either of those locations.  The only advantage that the Deck 5 choice has over Deck 6 is that you are not above the lifeboats/tenders.  Meaning, when you look down you will see orange two decks below whereas on Deck 5 you will look down and see sea (but you will see orange if you look forward).  Have a great trip!

If there is a photographer in your group, Deck 5 balconies will have a better shooting angle forward and aft. From Deck 6 the view is somewhat hampered by the outdent balconies.

I would take either set of staterooms in a heartbeat. Don't wait too long to decide or both could be gone.

34 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I think you can’t go wrong with either of those locations.  The only advantage that the Deck 5 choice has over Deck 6 is that you are not above the lifeboats/tenders.  Meaning, when you look down you will see orange two decks below whereas on Deck 5 you will look down and see sea (but you will see orange if you look forward).  Have a great trip!

This was taken from the glass elevator on Eurodam, but it's about the same indent as the Pinnacle ships. 

L2020703.JPG

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

This was taken from the glass elevator on Eurodam, but it's about the same indent as the Pinnacle ships. 

L2020703.JPG

Interesting.  Here is from Deck 7 Koningsdam (Neptune Suite within indent), looking aft then forward. There is no hindrance to view when taking pictures straight out.

AFT

2BFE2826-E4D0-4350-B9AF-1A9D060EDAA7.thumb.jpeg.ecf299e6b7bbc6568c593405e2286a6c.jpeg

FORWARD

8E2927D3-D195-4EC7-B7CD-70A38EE9EF2A.thumb.jpeg.fb5c9e2a2130ef3b18ab247f0dbc6c0c.jpeg

F6CBE3AD-E697-421C-B909-F8460EEAAD57.thumb.jpeg.297fcb1baee2eefbd69b1dd9d209ba46.jpeg

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 1

Just changed rooms over to 6140-6146. Sounds like I had two great options to pick from. I decided to make it slightly easier for granddad to walk to central elevators.   I also figure we couldn't go wrong being in similar location/few floors below the Neptune Suites 😃

Thanks again to all those who chimed in. I over-analyze everything and am super-appreciative how helpful everybody is with sharing their experiences.

@Miss G and @3rdGenCunarder

Love the pics. Makes me even more excited for the cruise.,

• Like 4

You were right to run all these various scenarios out ahead of time - you had a lot of options to juggle.  Agree, I think you made the best choice for all the concerns you had up in the air.

Enjoy and hope everyone appreciates the attention you paid to getting this just right. Lots of experience on this board to draw from -call this your Goldilocks Cruise.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, dlca1 said:

Just changed rooms over to 6140-6146. Sounds like I had two great options to pick from. I decided to make it slightly easier for granddad to walk to central elevators.   I also figure we couldn't go wrong being in similar location/few floors below the Neptune Suites 😃

Thanks again to all those who chimed in. I over-analyze everything and am super-appreciative how helpful everybody is with sharing their experiences.

@Miss G and @3rdGenCunarder

Love the pics. Makes me even more excited for the cruise.,

I over-analyze things, too. But a lot of work up front makes the actual trip much better and easier.

Your first post was quite rare. It was clear that you had done a lot of homework. So many people just post "What's a good cabin on Konignsdam?" 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, dlca1 said:

Just changed rooms over to 6140-6146. Sounds like I had two great options to pick from. I decided to make it slightly easier for granddad to walk to central elevators.

Enjoy your cruise - and the rest of the planning.

A couple ideas you might want to implement once onboard. 1) The last section of the balcony divider can be opened to allow passage. While it does not completely open balconies to each other, you do not have to go into the hallway to visit. Just ask your room stewards to do this. 2) Guest services can make an "access only" keycard for a cabin. We gave one to our DS/DDIL to use on our January cruise. That way if we were on the balcony and didn't hear them knock, they could still come in and visit. They were in an OV 2 decks down from us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2