Most luxurious river boat company

poinsettiaplate

For all of you veteran river boat cruisers:  which is the most luxurious river boat company?  Does cabin choice make a difference in line you would choose?  Does length of cruise make a difference?  Does price or luxury make a difference in how passengers are treated when water levels do not permit cruising?

Thank for your help.

Impossible to answer, as someone would need to have travelled with every line, or with every line that claimed to be luxurious. And, as offerings change over time, a cruise experiences a few years ago might not be the same today

Then there is what you mean by luxurious. You mention length of cruise, but whether a cruise is 5 days or 15 days isn't a measure of luxury IMO, as all companies offer both long and shorter cruises. I prefer long cruises because it seems on a week long cruise I have just got to wind-down and relax in the comfort of everything being there for me when I'm ejected into the real world. There's nothing like being on day 7 of a cruise and knowing one doesn't have to go to the airport but can instead enjoy another week of life on the cruise.

Luxury has to be paid for, and some of the things offered by the more expensive lines are things I don't want and won't use, so why should I pay for them?

An expensive cabin on a cheaper line might offer more than a cheaper cabin on an expensive line. Are there different dining places open to different cabins?

If you are wondering what line to book, then I suggest you draw up a list of non-negotiable wants and 'nice to haves' and go through the various cruise lines web sites to see which offer what you want at what cost.

Oh, and expect a degree of hyperbole in their claims......

• Like 3

Which is the most luxurious river boat company?   My experience is only with Uniworld.  Even though Uniworld calls themselves a boutique company, I wouldn't call it luxurious.  

As mentioned above, what do you consider luxurious?  Is it the decor?  service?  food? 

In my fantasy world... I would consider a butler bringing me a well-brewed pot of coffee to the room in the morning to sip while I'm getting ready for the day, table service at all meals that learns my preferences, champagne (not cava) or other beverage of choice handed to me when I walk on board, nice linens, upscale food, perhaps smaller groups for excursions.  Not that I've experienced all these.  I think most cruise lines may have table-service options at the buffet style meals, instead of going through the buffet, but you'd need to let your server know in and they would need to expect that and take care of you.   But maybe you like seeing the choices on the buffet?   Uniworld has smaller bespoke excursions, but nothing I've felt compelled to pay extra for.  

Does cabin choice make a difference in line you would choose? It wouldn't for me.  We have limited lifetime funds to travel and I'd rather stretch them when I can.  That said, most river cruises have very similar layouts for cabins with limited suites.  Yes, A suite would be more space, but for me I wouldn't pay for the difference as we don't spend that much time in the cabin.  Maybe if I were a repeat cruiser on the same long itinerary of places I already visited it would be nice to have more space to spread out and enjoy private comfort.  However we really enjoy visiting the ports and spend very little time in the cabin.

Does length of cruise make a difference? It may, just because the crew would get to know you better and thus be able to anticipate your needs and learn your preferences.  

Does price or luxury make a difference in how passengers are treated when water levels do not permit cruising?  Interesting question, like would suites get better treatment (more comfortable minivan) than aquarium class (big bus) if the cruise turned into a bus trip?  I've never heard of any differentiating.  We often wondered about extensions if you had a better cabin were you given a nicer hotel room.  No practical experience but an interesting question.  

• Like 2

The general consensus is that Scenic, Tauck and Uniworld are the most 'luxurious' river cruise lines.  Crystal was at the top of this group before they went bankrupt, and their ships are now operated by a German hotel company as Riverside Luxury Cruises.  This may come under the 'hyperbole' heading – don't know as there aren't any reviews of Riverside yet:

Butler.thumb.webp.d6c74eb90bf019d41d946c0734666a27.webp

There’s only one challenge with Scenic it’s their excursions and tours they add and change every year. We’re off on the Seine which we first did 2014 maiden voyage and this year we can do a different excursion every day. Your right the Royal is super and although we don’t us it every time we do usually try for the Diamond deck. It does help with the points we’ve accrued.

We really enjoy the Explorer suites on Viking.  Luxurious - not "fancy"    The wrap-around view from the sitting area is perfect.  The extra amenities are few:   unlimited laundry and room service for breakfast.

Private airport transfers are really nice !  

We do spend time in the suite and enjoy space in the bathroom

On our first river cruise we experienced low water.  We had an aquarium class room and received the same suite hotel room at the Kempinski in Budapest that everyone else did.   No matter what size the room, the treatment we have received has been stellar.  Like others have said, it depends upon what is important to you.  

• Like 1

Tauck has excellent

On 2/14/2023 at 1:28 PM, poinsettiaplate said:

Thank you to everyone.  I really like the suggestion to make a list of non-negotiables and wants and do some research.  And thanks to JazzBeau for his input.

One suggestion is to look at the excursions. Tauck does offer some exclusive excursions not offered on other cruiselines. 

Certain cruiseline’s offer butlers. I would imagine having a butler would be considered luxury. Also the square footage of the cabins and Year built. Wine is included on all lines, but wine quality varies so that is something to research also. 

I have been on Uniworld, Viking and this time we booked Ama. A lot is decided by the itinerary, dates and price. I have never been on a bad or regrettable river cruise. I have been in a suite and in a cabin where the swans can look in the window. River cruises are nothing like ocean cruises where “luxury” has more to do with the experience. Nothing beats a river cruise and pulling into a city center and grabbing a pint with the locals. River cruising is the most relaxing at the same time busy vacation you will experience. (oxymoron intended)
With that said I do love the Uniworld all inclusive. If you have been on Regent cruise, it gives close to the same vibe.

• Like 3

As @pontac said it depends on what you define as luxury.

The treatment with a low water situation might not be different as with any other river cruise company. The ship simply can´t go on. If the company has a ship going the opposite route you can swap ships. If not you can´t. Organizing bus transfers and hotels on a very short notice is always a big problem. I read a review complaining about a hotel which was "not up to par" to the standards of the river cruise line. Sorry, but that was the best hotel in that city you could get. Also a luxury river cruise line can´t provide a 7 star hotel when there are only 4 star hotels in that town available.

My first Danube river cruise was with Deilmann (long gone). They had some standards of luxury although butlers on river cruise ships were unknown by that time. But we encountered high water and our cruise ended after 23 hours. We were bused from Vienna to Bratislava for a day excursion. We were bussed from Vienna to Budapest for an overnight stay. And they apologized that they weren´t able to get enough rooms in a luxury hotel right on the Danube river but sort of "second row" (it was still one of the best hotels in Budapest). When we returned from Budapest we were greeted back home with Champagne and the kids onboard (our DD and 2 others) got a book as a present (according to the age of the kid!). Really top notch service back then!

steamboats

On 2/16/2023 at 7:32 PM, Got2Cruise said:

I would imagine having a butler would be considered luxury. Also the square footage of the cabins and Year built. Wine is included on all lines, but wine quality varies so that is something to research also. 

I posted a long time ago asking what use was a butler, and got nothing that convinced me. We had a butler on our Scenic cruise and used him only once to get us a coffee when the guests' single coffee machine had a long queue. I though he could get one from a bar: he eventually delivered two coffees but it was a long wait. If one wants butler service then it's worth checking how many cabins that butler services. As far as I could see, that one staff member designated as a butler served all the cabins on that deck. So one can imagine that if every cabin requested something at the same time, the majority would be disappointed by getting their service late.

Again check about wine. Riviera standardly do not include drinks with meal. Others do but only with meal, other include drinks at all  times.

As you so correctly say, wine quality varies. 'Fine' wines are promised by some, but if you know about wines, you'll find they are not. If you don't know about wines then by using winesearcher.com you may find the so-called 'fine' wine on the list is available in the local supermarket for peanuts. I'm not a wine snob: I'm happy to have a local 'house' wine, but I take umbrage when that wine is touted as coming from the 'region’s best wineries' (Scenic).

In our youth whilst staying at a pretty high end Bath hotel we got a piece of advice from what was then known as the wine waiter - don’t turn your nose up at the house wine because if it’s undrinkable the hotel would rapidly lose a star or maybe two.

I understand you have been on one Scenic cruise when you’ve been on as many as we have you will find that some of your implications are quite far off the mark.

I enjoy the benefits of a Butler just make use of them, late with your early morning tea or coffee use the phone it won’t be late again, the lengths the staff went to, to find a red wine that I could actually drink on our Bordeaux cruise was impressive. They don’t get everything right but they do try. I do know that if I have to open my (husbands) wallet at the end of a cruise it’s for the shop and or a massage, everything else is covered. 
Luxury on the rivers is Scenic until I find another line then I’ll let you know.

• Like 1