No more masks

So happy to hear this.  We are on the next cruise 11 nights from 24th February.   Perhaps they are only dropping the mask requirement for this cruise because it is a domestic cruise up as far as Cairns and not going to NZ or the islands?  I have not received an email telling us masks are required to be worn on board but only one saying required in the overseas terminal.   I though that was strange as when we were on Majestic in December we had to wear masks on board and had been pre warned about this via email before sailing.  If masks are required of course my husband and I will willingly comply but we will be very happy if we don't have to wear them.  I will let you know once we are on board.  Thanks for the info.  If you get any more clarification,  please share.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can understand some people will be worried about the mask mandate being lifted which it will have to be at some point.  I'm just hoping "TommyH2006" is right about it being lifted on Majestic Princess for cruise 24th February and allowing each guest to choose whether or not to wear one.  I guess each person will have to make what is the right decision for them :

- stop wearing a mask

- keep wearing a mask

- stop cruising until they feel it is safer to do so

• Like 4

People will simply be able to make their own decisions about masks. I'm sick of seeing them around peoples necks, on tables while eating, being fiddled with, people taking them off to sneeze or cough. At this point I think they are irrelevant. 

• Like 5

Quantum of the Seas is a Royal Caribbean ship.  Royal and Celebrity never imposed a mask mandate, only recommended the wearing of masks.  Did our first post covid cruise in November on Carnival Splendour and no mask mandate, so chose not to wear one  Then when Majestic Princess had 800 covid cases Carnival reintroduced the mask mandate.  When on Majestic in December we of course complied with this and wore masks when required even though the whole exercise seemed a bit pointless.   When sail on Majestic again on 24th February will only wear a mask if it is still required.   As Carnival owns Carnival,  P&O, Cunard and Princess I assume whatever decision they make  will be the same across all their cruiselines when sailing in Australia and NZ.  

I will confirm once on board if masks are required or not.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TommyH2006 said:

On board the Majestic Princess.

Just been informed (unofficially) that this is the last cruise where masks will be mandatory.

After this cruise it will be up to the individual.

Good to hear as I will on the Majestic Princess around Australia next month!

On a recent cruise on Quantum not many people wore masks. 

I'm a big supporter of masks as an aide to stopping the spread and was very much ready for mask wearing during the cruise. But, I must admit I hate it! Especially if it's hot and humid or if you've been exerting yourself.

I'll keep on wearing it cos it's not just all about me but I don't like it.

Oh and I do see people with mask exemption lanyards. I assume that means they have a medical condition. Interesting that one couple both have them.....what are the chances?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Pushka said:

People will simply be able to make their own decisions about masks. I'm sick of seeing them around peoples necks, on tables while eating, being fiddled with, people taking them off to sneeze or cough. At this point I think they are irrelevant. 

There could be an argument that masks actually increase the spread of the virus (due to the actions above). However no "study" could prove this in the same way that no study could disprove it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Yep, I wonder why they are cruising if their health is that bad they need an exemption for masks, I do also wonder if they have travel insurance for medical.

A medical exemption can be given for lots of reasons. Especially at this stage. Religious, mental health, asthma etc. your health doesn’t need to be that bad.

I’m going on Sunday and masks are mandatory indoors as the cruise is over 10 days. It will be interesting to be how closely it is followed. 

Oh no!  My cruise is for 11 days so really hoping that doesn't mean we will still be under mask mandate rules.  Ah well, what will be, will be.  Wearing a mask on Majestic for 13 nights in December didn't stop us from having a wonderful time and it certainly won't for this upcoming 11 night cruise on her. We will eat, drink and be merry either way.

• Like 2

I'm afraid I just don't understand this hysteria about having to wear a mask. If you have a  medical condition then fine, but otherwise, apart from being a bit annoying if you wear glasses as I do, not an issue for me.  On our Majestic cruise at Christmas the most annoying thing was when I forgot my mask (which was often)  and I'd have to go back to my cabin to get it. The positive from that though was that I got to go up and down the stairs a few more times which can only help on a cruise.

I was happy to wear a mask because I didn't want to end up isolated in my cabin for half the cruise which is what happened to the friends we were travelling with. ....and they did wear masks which shows that masks don't offer 100% protection but certainly more protection than going mask-less.

I also think that some people just don't like being told what to do,...which really means there's no point in arguing with them about mask wearing.

We are off on the Coral in a month for 28 days around Australia and I will certainly be having my 5th vaccination before that  and if masks are optional then I will wear one when I feel it  appropriate.

cheers

Stu

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Official from Princess

From February 16, the requirement for all guests and crew to wear masks in all indoor settings for voyages 10 nights or longer has been relaxed, and is no longer mandatory. Some guests and crew members may still choose to wear masks voluntarily, and is not a negative reflection on them. Masking requirements may change at any time, so we ask for flexibility from our guests. Guests are advised to check with Guest Services if they have any concerns.

• Like 4

We’ve cruised twice with masks now - on Coral last year and less than a month ago on Grand.  It is a small thing to do to keep us safe.  Happy to continue so we don’t get sick.  Next cruise is on Splendour and it will be interesting to see the difference.

Mask compliance was great both cruises and there was little evidence of spread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

TommyH2006, thank you so much for this clarification.   Now I will enjoy our 11 night cruise on Majestic next week even more than our December cruise on her when masks were still mandated.   My husband and I will choose not to wear a mask, but totally understand other guests will still continue to wear them.  That's the great thing about a democracy.   We are cruising on Pacific Adventure in late March and Carnival Splendour in late May so really hoping this is the new norm (which of course is the old norm).

I will just say that it didn't bother me wearing a mask whilst indoors. There was basically no "sip and cover"  Once sat at a table the masks stayed off.

I would say that mask compliance would have been around 95%.

Just happy to be cruising again.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stuartm said:

I'm afraid I just don't understand this hysteria about having to wear a mask. If you have a  medical condition then fine, but otherwise, apart from being a bit annoying if you wear glasses as I do, not an issue for me.  On our Majestic cruise at Christmas the most annoying thing was when I forgot my mask (which was often)  and I'd have to go back to my cabin to get it. The positive from that though was that I got to go up and down the stairs a few more times which can only help on a cruise.

I was happy to wear a mask because I didn't want to end up isolated in my cabin for half the cruise which is what happened to the friends we were travelling with. ....and they did wear masks which shows that masks don't offer 100% protection but certainly more protection than going mask-less.

I also think that some people just don't like being told what to do,...which really means there's no point in arguing with them about mask wearing.

We are off on the Coral in a month for 28 days around Australia and I will certainly be having my 5th vaccination before that  and if masks are optional then I will wear one when I feel it  appropriate.

cheers

Stu

We will have the 5th vaccination before cruise in May which is overseas. We will likely wear masks in Mumbai airport, but that's it. I don't think they make a difference to be honest. Just need to touch something, touch your mask and potential infection. I don't like wearing them. Others can do as they wish. 

Edited by Pushka

22 hours ago, Pushka said:

At this point I think they are irrelevant. 

Masks will never be irrelevant. There is ample evidence that good mask wearing is effective in reducing risk of both getting or spreading an airborne virus like COVID. 

You can choose the level of risk you are willing to live with. And others can choose theirs. But no mistake - without a mask you are accepting a higher level of risk than someone wearing one. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2