Celebrity vs Princess

shofer

Ok, I know I have seen this somewhere on this thread but I never really paid attention until now. We are thinking of booking a Princess Panama Canal 10-days RT Miami for next February. As a dedicated Celebrity cruiser, will I find Princess more to my liking or less?

Celebrity's prices have really gotten out of line in the past year and we can get so much more for our money on Princess. Booking early no longer guarantees you a lower price.

I hear that Princess's cabins are larger, is that true? We would be getting some kind of balcony, haven't figured the categories out yet. (There are so many)

Celebrity is limited in their fleet and our only choices for a 14 day traverse of the Canal are Summit & Mercury, both of which we have already been on.

Any info is welcome.

We did the Panama Canal on the Sun Princess one year and it was my favorite cruise of all time. A lot of it was because I loved the Panama Canal, but Princess was a great cruise line. The CD on that cruise (Janet) was the best ever, the food was good, and there was lots to do. The price was also good. I'd guess the cabin size would depend on the ship. Some of the larger ships can't get through the canal.

I highly recommend Princess though if it fits your price/itinery needs.

Tom

Since you're asking here, I bet you'll find that most will say you'd find Celebrity more to your liking. You'd probably get a answer saying Princess would be more to your liking if you ask at the princess forum.

Both are nice ships. If you do a search on these boards you'll find lots of Celebrity v. Princess threads. Here is one other place to consider: look at the roll calls, both for current princess and Celebrity panama cruises (of the type you're considering) and for future cruises of each line you're considering. We really enjoy meeting people through the CC roll calls, and have noted there is generally (but not always) lower interest and participation on Princess cruises.

My own spin: I like the ship layout of Princess more, especially the staterooms. The mini-suites on Princess are great. I also like Princess's comedy and non-singing and dancing shows more, but like lounge and other non-stage-show entertainment on Celebrity more. I like all other features on Celebrity more and prefer Celebrity overall. My guess is you'll have a great time on either!

I am in agreement with Larry and Sue. In the past 4 years we have sailed princess 7 times ( 2 Panama canal sailings) and Celebrity 7 times, with the 8th coming up in a little over two weeks:) :)

I find, like a lot of other folks, that there are some small differences between the two lines. Some things I like a little better about Princes and the reverse is also true.

You won't go wrong, either way that you choose.

Personally, I give a slight edge to celebrity:)

phil

Shofer, whether or not you would enjoy Princess depends greatly on what you like about your Celebrity cruises. I sail on both cruise lines and enjoy both--the products are similar, but there are differences. IMHO the service on Celebrity is better, but our service on Princess has been quite good. Also, we like the food on Celebrity better, but again, the food on Princess has been quite good.

There have been several posts comparing the differences, but many of those differences have compared Celebrity against a Princess Grand Class ship. The Princess ship cruising that Panama itinerary in Feb. 2007 is the Coral Princess. It is not a Grand Class ship--it is smaller. But I really like the Coral Princess.

The Coral Princess is different than the Sun class also. It is a bigger ship than the Sun Princess, but has the same amount of passengers. So there is much more public room. The Coral Princess has the freshwater pools including the spa pool (adult only) with the swim against the current feature. But unlike the Sun Princess, the Spa area is covered with a glass dome which is can be opened in warm weather. Unless recently changed, all of the pools and hot tubs are open 24 hours.

There are lots of balcony and minisuite rooms on the ship and deciphering the different categories can be confusing. But the layout is a little trickier than what you may read on some of the other Princess comparisons because there is a bump-out on the Coral. So if you are planning to book a minisuite or balcony, and you would like information on rooms affected by the bumpout, info on which balconies are covered or not, or other information/questions, please feel free to email me at kacruiser@ev1.net.

You are right about the pricing. Princess is usually cheaper now, especially with the Celebrity no-discounting policy. And as a first time Princess cruiser, you can also get further discounts with a referral credit and sometimes there are other promos too. However, while Princess will honor price drops before final payment, they usually won't after final payment.

Infinity is also doing 14 days from Fort Lauderdale through Canal to San Diego in March 2007, nothing really to choose between Summit and Infinity, but the dates are different and also the departure and ending ports.

Just a suggestion, I booked Infinity back to back Panama, then Hawaii for March of 2007, this afternoon.cabins are still available for both cruises.

Hope this helps

Thanks all for the info. We are still debating what we are going to do. Now we have 2 other couples coming so there will be more factors involved.

The Coral Princess looks a lot like the Summit. A little bigger 92,000 to 91,000 tons but about the same number of passengers. The bigger cabins would be a plus but I hear the showers are tiny.

We have never done Princess and I know they do upgrade past passengers as I have talked to several people about this. IMHO, this is something Celebrity SHOULD do for frequent/return passengers. The CC benefits are just fluff and not really worth the paper they are printed on.

The backstage tour that about 40 of us showed up for was at 10:30 PM, not AM as we all thought. Well I never went to that. Galley tour, been there, done that. I liked the video tour I saw on Horizon once.

At one time, I would never have thought about trying another line, but as I said, the 10 itinerary would be a better fit for us than the 14 day. And we might consider Infinity if it came to that.

Shofar, perhaps if you explained some of the activities or things about Celebrity that you like, we could help you better with a comparison.

The bathrooms are smaller in the balcony cabins, and the showers are small. I am not that tall, so the showers are fine for me. But I know that taller/bigger folks have complained about the size.

The minisuites might be a better choice if you decide to sail on the Coral Princess. They have a shower/tub combination in the bathroom and the bathroom is larger than the bathroom in the balcony room. There is a sitting area, two televisions, and a refrigerator. The minisuites have upgraded bedding and linens, including a duvet, upgraded toiletries from the spa, and a welcome glass of champagne (Princess doesn't offer the welcome glass upon boarding generally as does Celebrity). There are some differences in the balconies of the minisuites and there are two with no balconies (think Celebrity Suite, but not a Suite). So if you decide to go book this category and have some questions or need info, please feel free to email me at kacruiser@ev1.net.

Princess does sometimes upgrade past passengers. But they also give upgrades to new passengers too. They do not sell upgrades at the pier--when Princess gives the upgrade, it is complimentary. But no one knows how the Upgrade Fairy works. :)

I have cruised over 30 times with many on Celebrity and Princess. I was on the Sapphire Princess last December and somewhat disappointed. To me, it looked like Princess has reduced it's level of service since Carnival bought them. Other long time passengers said the same thing. As an example, they now charge for basic ice cream except for one hour a day. Lemonade is gone from the buffet. No more free daily newspaper, they charge if you want some news. PC dining was a mess. You could only make reservations for 6:15PM or after 8:00PM. Just like traditional dining.

The crew and staff were very nice and helpful. But it felt more like a Carnival cruise. I took three cruises last year. One on the Oosterdam and one on the Radiance. These two were better in terms of service and value.

I'm on the Mercury next month and will compare it.

I think Princess may be going down since Carnival bought them. I herad the same thing about Cunard.

I have cruised over 30 times with many on Celebrity and Princess. I was on the Sapphire Princess last December and somewhat disappointed. To me, it looked like Princess has reduced it's level of service since Carnival bought them. Other long time passengers said the same thing. As an example, they now charge for basic ice cream except for one hour a day. Lemonade is gone from the buffet. No more free daily newspaper, they charge if you want some news. PC dining was a mess. You could only make reservations for 6:15PM or after 8:00PM. Just like traditional dining.

The crew and staff were very nice and helpful. But it felt more like a Carnival cruise. I took three cruises last year. One on the Oosterdam and one on the Radiance. These two were better in terms of service and value.

I find it interesting that you mention a reduced level of service since carnival corp. owns princess, but then go on to say, that a Holland America ship had a better level of service.:confused: Of course I am sure that you are aware that Carnival Corp owns Holland America, as well as the very up scale seaborne and the Cunard line. So does that mean that they also suffer, as princess does, because they are owned by Carnival Corp?

I think Princess may be going down since Carnival bought them. I herad the same thing about Cunard.

Makes no sense to me

The reviews of Grand and Galaxy listed below deal specifically (and in some depth) with where X or Princess wins/loses. We sail both (Select on X and Platinum on Princess) and just adjust our expectations accordingly.

Either way, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

When I cruise on the Mercury in April, it will be 4th crusie in one year. Those Princess cutbacks last December were obvious to a number of us on the ship. I only listed a few. When you go on as many crusies as I do, it's easy to compare.

I am worrried that HAL is next. If you doubt what I said about Carnival and Cunard, read some recent posts. Once those bean counters from Carnival get going, who knows what is next. For a while, I'll take RCL and Celebrity.

When I cruise on the Mercury in April, it will be 4th cruise in one year. Those Princess cutbacks last December were obvious to a number of us on the ship. I only listed a few. When you go on as many crusies as I do, it's easy to compare.

I am worrried that HAL is next. If you doubt what I said about Carnival and Cunard, read some recent posts. Once those bean counters from Carnival get going, who knows what is next. For a while, I'll take RCL and

lebrity.

Odd , I sailed on princess in December, and did not notice any cutbacks when compared to my last cruise with them (Sept of 2003) My last 7 cruises have been on X and quite frankly, found the food on my December cruise with princess a notch better than X

but hey, just my opinion, but I do feel that you might be giving the Carnival angle way to much play:)

Phil

Both of my Princess cruises have been a huge disappointment. Princess customer service is impossibly horrible and frankly, I can't see myself booking a Princess cruise again at any time in the future.

My Carnival and NCL cruises were better than Princess. Perhaps it was bad luck on my behalf that our Princess cruises had multiple problems but you know the old saying; Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I have learned my lesson.

Perhaps if a tremendous deal on a Princess ship came along or if we decide to cruise Austrailia, Tahiti, or Asia, then we might consider Princess, but until that time comes, you will see us firmly planted on Celebrity or Royal Caribbean ships!

Thanks all for the info. We are still debating what we are going to do. Now we have 2 other couples coming so there will be more factors involved.

The Coral Princess looks a lot like the Summit. A little bigger 92,000 to 91,000 tons but about the same number of passengers. The bigger cabins would be a plus but I hear the showers are tiny.

We have never done Princess and I know they do upgrade past passengers as I have talked to several people about this. IMHO, this is something Celebrity SHOULD do for frequent/return passengers. The CC benefits are just fluff and not really worth the paper they are printed on.

Sounds like Princess and Celebrity are close in overall satisfaction. Having not been on Celebrity yet I cannot compare, but I have sailed on the Island the twin of Coral.

Expect an older crowd for Panama. Yes the showers are so small on this ship. And I thought they were small on other ships!!

If you can afford a balcony the BB categories on Caribbe deck have larger balconies and they are 1/2 exposed and 1/2 open. They are great!! Any JJ inside are on convenient decks. The mini suites are really nice and they have a bathtub and most are on Dolphin Deck one below Caribbe.

If you choose Princess read on the Princess board how to make PC dining work for you. I love this style of dining. You can also openly bring on wine and champagne on Princess. If it is a varietel they carry they will not even charge you a corkage fee, but $10 if not. Also the drink prices are much cheaper at least from what I have been reading.

Also note the Lido buffet is zig zag style not necessarily a line. People often complain about this.

Yes the fresh water pools/spas are another reason I really like Princess.

Good luck with your choice. I know there will be advantages to both lines.

Very nice synopsis about the Princess experience. I agree with all your remarks except the buffet area, I feel that it is much more efficient way for a buffet area to have the island concept rather than the straight line that Celebrity uses.

Since we cruise with Princess and celebrity, I can tell you, IMO, that you won't be disappointed with Celebrity. They are both great cruise experiences.

Phil

I will be anxious to read your review after you sail the Mercury. You could be correct, but I think it has more to do with cruising today versus yesterday. All the lines, certainly Celebrity falls into the catagory have done some cutting back: it is either cut back or raise prices which will put a strain on those who want to travel but don't make a fortune. We noticed the difference on the Zenith last Dec. The food certainly was good especially the meats, but the serving sizes were about what most would expect on a child's menu. The canapes served in the late afternoon if you have CC service were not worth the bother, etc. We had a great cruise, I loved the ship and am not knocking it but am simply pointing out the difference in the past year, 5 years and 10 years. NMNita

Very nice synopsis about the Princess experience. I agree with all your remarks except the buffet area, I feel that it is much more efficient way for a buffet area to have the island concept rather than the straight line that Celebrity uses.

Since we cruise with Princess and celebrity, I can tell you, IMO, that you won't be disappointed with Celebrity. They are both great cruise experiences.

Phil

love the island concept; NCL has added this to their newer ships as well. Why does anyone want to wait in a line with 10 people of more in front of you when all you really want is a small salad or at breakfast, you want the loxs, not eggs, cereal, etc. NMNita

Anyone who has been on a RCCL Radiance class ship would agree that their buffet setup is among the best. While Princess is far better than those long lines, the buffet area are quite small and often crowded. Radiance class ships have huge, flowing buffet areas.

Anyone who has been on a RCCL Radiance class ship would agree that their buffet setup is among the best. While Princess is far better than those long lines, the buffet area are quite small and often crowded. Radiance class ships have huge, flowing buffet areas.

How did the Radiance compare to the Oosterdam in this area? I leave on the Oosterdam next Saturday, but cruised on the Zuiderdam in December, so am familiar with the set up. I've cruised RCI, but not the Radiance class.

Thank you.

Marie

I personally like the Princess buffet "Scramble" myself as others pointed out as I only grab a salad and maybe something from the carving station. The reason I mentioned it is because people can't seem to get the idea and they complain.

One thing I know I am going to like about Celebrity is that Cova Cafe or whatever it is called where I can get a "pay for coffee". I have no problem paying for a good coffee and most cruise lines coffee's stink at least Princess does!! But I also bring those Foldgers coffee singles now in case I am too lazy to leave the room before I have my morning coffee. We are also going to Ocean Liners for dinner one night. I like the speciality restaurants on Princess and this one sounds equally as nice and a different menu for a change will be nice.

But I also bring those Foldgers coffee singles now in case I am too lazy to leave the room before I have my morning coffee.

Are you too lazy to put out a card on your door before you retire ordering room service for your morning coffee. I know they spoil us roten on these cruises.

We are doing a Princess Panama cruise this next holiday season -- have done it twice before on Celebrity. We took our first Princess cruise last December. Most of our cruises have been on X.

It seemed to us that the Princess mini suites are about the size of Celebrity's Family View cabins and have upgraded linens and a few amenities similar to Concierge Class. The prices on the minis seem quite reasonable.

We do traditional dining and Princess was roughly comparable though we give X the edge on both food and service. We didn't like the food in the buffet on the Golden and avoided it for the most part. Pursor's desk is open 24/7 which was very handy. Most of the other differences are covered in the regularly reappearing XvP threads. As for declines post mergers, we see the same on X compared to ten years ago.

The Century mods looks great, those new aft cabins... It's a temptation to go back to X.

Archived