OBSERVATIONS FROM THE POOP DECK SEASCAPE FEB19-26 2023

morpheusofthesea

54 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

The party started the moment we got on board. The order was given “bring a pitcher of beer every 7 minutes until someone passes out, then bring one every 10 minutes” Thornton Melon

I will omit repeating the Triple-Lindy reference, Morpheus. However, here is the original beer order.
😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, sabres431 said:

As I understand it, you have to pay taxes on drinks while in port.  Is this the case with such a significant delay?

That is a good question. With our all inclusive beverage package we do not experience this taxable situation. The ship opened the shops up immediately upon leaving for just one hour of business. We purchased a couple of shirts and I just checked the receipt. No tax.

12 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

That is a good question. With our all inclusive beverage package we do not experience this taxable situation. The ship opened the shops up immediately upon leaving for just one hour of business. We purchased a couple of shirts and I just checked the receipt. No tax.

Interesting....we will also be in YC, so we'll have the same package as you.  I thought the tax situation applied to everyone..  I'll be happy to be wrong 😄

33 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

This 23 second video of tonights violinist in the Cabaret Rouge took 3 minutes to upload.

Speaking of Cabaret Rouge, I assume there is no listing of the performers and one has to view the show in order to learn anything.

If that is the case and if you happen to see the show in its entirety, could you list the acts? Any advance knowledge for next month would be appreciated. (Of course, depending on performers' contracts, some may come and some may go before we board in mid-March.) Thank you very much, Morpheus.

6 hours ago, no1talks said:

Speaking of Cabaret Rouge, I assume there is no listing of the performers and one has to view the show in order to learn anything.

If that is the case and if you happen to see the show in its entirety, could you list the acts? Any advance knowledge for next month would be appreciated. (Of course, depending on performers' contracts, some may come and some may go before we board in mid-March.) Thank you very much, Morpheus.

You are correct. No listing. Four acts and a accompanying band. Last month the band had their own night, giving the cast a night off. Haven't seen the band yet and do not know if they will be performing this cruise due to illness. Rommulous is MC. Last cruise he was taken ill and Calie, the female vocalist, MCed. The hula hoop girl is gone and the juggler/comedian is gone as well. Each set is about 50 minutes. We missed the last set to catch some sailaway and wanted to checkout the shops and buy a couple of shirts. 

10 hours ago, sabres431 said:

As I understand it, you have to pay taxes on drinks while in port.

Interesting that you brought this up. I recall this being true for our NCL Haven cruises. I had expected it then, from knowing that was the usual practice. It is similar to why on some international flights departing US airports the PDB (pre-departure beverage) can be a bit restricted. We have never experienced the added tax in our MSC YC cruises though and did not even consider why until you just mentioned it. I wouldn't mind knowing if MSC is (maybe) covering this for us.

9 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

No, the guests pay the taxes one way or another. How the cruise lines go about it can differ but the guests pay the taxes.

So why no charges for alcohol before initial departure? Someone must be covering -- or is the situation somehow different and no taxes are due on those drinks?

(Not trying to be difficult, just truly curious.)

Please let us know if you discover an answer, @morpheusofthesea

Edited by Best Cat Mom

2 minutes ago, Best Cat Mom said:

So why no charges for alcohol before initial departure? Someone must be covering -- or is the situation somehow different and no taxes are due on those drinks?

(Not trying to be difficult, just truly curious.)

Using Miami as an example, the cruise line is charged a tax based on guest occupancy. Let's just say $10k for simplicity. MSC uses money collected by guests who paid to cover that expense just like paying for fuel. A guest who never drinks alcohol pays some of that $10k. The guest doesn't "see" it but the guest still pays it.

On NCL, guests who drink while in port will see an 8% tax added to their drinks even if the drink is covered by the PBP and the guest has already paid the 20% service charge on the PBP. That $1.xx tax goes into that pot to help pay that $10k. Anything remaining is paid by NCL using money from the paying guests fare.

MSC, Celebrity, etc. aren't being nice and covering the tax for you while in port. You've already paid it. NCL is using the drinkers to pay a larger percentage than the non-drinkers but both groups are paying that tax.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, jules815 said:

Can you find out what bubbly is included with the now YC package?

Went to the bar and inquired what are the available Champagnes in the YC package.. Answer "Whatever is available at the moment." Sometimes Moet, sometimes Pommery, Today Monopole.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Using Miami as an example, the cruise line is charged a tax based on guest occupancy. Let's just say $10k for simplicity. MSC uses money collected by guests who paid to cover that expense just like paying for fuel. A guest who never drinks alcohol pays some of that $10k. The guest doesn't "see" it but the guest still pays it.

On NCL, guests who drink while in port will see an 8% tax added to their drinks even if the drink is covered by the PBP and the guest has already paid the 20% service charge on the PBP. That $1.xx tax goes into that pot to help pay that $10k. Anything remaining is paid by NCL using money from the paying guests fare.

MSC, Celebrity, etc. aren't being nice and covering the tax for you while in port. You've already paid it. NCL is using the drinkers to pay a larger percentage than the non-drinkers but both groups are paying that tax.

Does the tax apply to non-alcoholic drinks?

The only time we were charged a 7% tax was before leaving Miami at the Venchi Chocolate kiosk. Before I signed the receipt I looked at the bill and asked about the tax. Told them to hold my order, will be back later to make the purchase. They did and repriced with out the tax as I was purchasing a couple kilos (did not want them to sell out of my favorite flavors). Have learned that there are a certain few things one must do immediately when they get on board, like my pergola/cabana.There are 5 on the starboard side, 3 of which are located next to the smokers. On the port side are 9.

• Like 2