2023 HAL changes?

Leigha7

1 hour ago, Banditswife said:

Talking about food waste- I wish there was a way to order a "senior portion."  I have asked for a child's portion & told they don't do that.  

Canaletto will.  I usually order a half portion of an appetizer, and then an appetizer size portion of an entree.  Dessert I take "as is" - although if I'm getting the gelato I'll probably specify the 1 or 2 I like best rather than having 3 small portions.  

Many years ago I asked in Pinnacle if it was possible to get a smaller portion of the filet mignon and was told no.  I assume the pieces of meat are all pre-cut at that point.  I dislike wasting food, and hate feeling stuffed even more so if the portion's too big it's going to go to waste.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

How much smaller can portions get?  I’ve had fish portions that were one, maybe 2 ounces with one baby potato on the plate.  I guess I may be different then some in that I eat pretty sensibly until dinner.  I’m not eating plates of cookies, pizzas, burgers fries etc during the day.

I am mainly talking about in the MDR when I order a pasta dish or other main, they pile on the sides & give me way too much of the main.  A fish portion would be different.  And yes I am guilty of snacking during the day, where it is so readily available.   

2 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

I am mainly talking about in the MDR when I order a pasta dish or other main, they pile on the sides & give me way too much of the main.  A fish portion would be different.  And yes I am guilty of snacking during the day, where it is so readily available.   

Yes the other proteins are definitely larger.  I don’t usually have pasta.  I know someone that says they don’t like sel de mer because it’s too much food.  Yes it is but I am careful what I order.  They also mentioned how good and hot the fries were at the Dutch cafe.  I can say I’ve never eaten one fry from there. 

3 hours ago, Banditswife said:

Talking about food waste- I wish there was a way to order a "senior portion."  I have asked for a child's portion & told they don't do that.  

I always ask for a "half portion" and they try, but some things just can't be cut in half.

Or I order an appetizer for my entree, which they sometimes double to make it a little more substantial, but still a relatively small portion size.

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

How much smaller can portions get?  I’ve had fish portions that were one, maybe 2 ounces with one baby potato on the plate.  I guess I may be different then some in that I eat pretty sensibly until dinner.  I’m not eating plates of cookies, pizzas, burgers fries etc during the day.

From the Way Back Machine 9 (1960's): College nutrition class had us memorize what constituted adequate serving portions of what was then called "The Basic Four":

2-3 ounces was a serving portion for cooked meat; 3-4 ounces when raw before it was cooked was the adequate "meat" portion of the Basic Four for nutritional needs  - with  two "meat" servings per day. Peanut butter and eggs could be substituted for "meat" back then. (1960's).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

From the Way Back Machine 9 (1960's): College nutrition class had us memorize what constituted adequate serving portions of what was then called "The Basic Four":

2-3 ounces was a serving portion for cooked meat; 3-4 ounces when raw before it was cooked was the adequate "meat" portion of the Basic Four for nutritional needs  - with  two "meat" servings per day. Peanut butter and eggs could be substituted for "meat" back then. (1960's).

That was 60 plus years ago.  Where do cookies fit into that?  My former mil used to fill up on pies and sweets all day then would get upset when we were making food for ourselves wondering how we could be hungry.  I've never gotten away with eating like that.

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

On Eurodam last month, I found the beef portions to be significantly larger than the fish portions in the MDR. 

Yes, the “12 oz” strip steak seems always a lot bigger on the Rotterdam and Nieuw Statendam.

14 minutes ago, vicd1969 said:

Is the Pinnacle now charging for extra dessert as well? My nephew finished two crème brûlées there last summer, that was the highlight of his meal.

Don't give them any ideas ;). I'm wondering if any other cruise line is charging for an extra appetizer in specialty restaurants or is hal alone in this silly endeavor.