2023 HAL changes?

Leigha7

Are there any significant changes on HOL in 2023?

We will be traveling on the Koningsdam with a group of 20 family members. We are all dining at Tamarind one evening, and some of us at Pinnacle Grill on another evening. My sister-in-law is bringing her teenage boys who eat quite a bit and generally order multiple items in the main dining room. Is this permitted free of charge at the Pinnacle and Tamarind?   If it’s not, I would like to save her some embarrassment and give her a heads-up, and a warning that she will be charged extra.  Thank you.

I  believe it is now printed on the menu that ordering multiple appetizers are charged extra in the Pinnacle.

Which means they won't be able to literally be in hog-heaven ordering repeats of their yummy Hanging Bacon. Though some do order two appetizers, but in lieu of a main entree choice at the Pinnacle. 

Pinnacle has surcharges for some more premium menu items, but the regular menu is quite substantial for the original Pinnacle surcharge amount. 

• Like 1

In the Pinnacle Grill, a second starter/appetizer is $7 and a second main/entree is $15. There are also some supplement/upcharge selections. In Tamarind, there is a $10 charge for a second main/entree.

See the menus at https://rogerjett-photography.com/   The charges for additional items are in the fine print on the relevant pages,

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

HAL needs some decent entertainment  for the World Stage . Wonder if that will ever happen in the foreseeable  future?

Sure doesn't sound like it. All we've heard about the changes in the entertainment is what's going away. What's replacing it is unclear. If Lincoln Center is going to be on World Stage as a group that travels form ship to ship, with my luck, they won't be on any cruise I'm taking. I still haven't seen Cantare. All I ever see is Step One. 

Although there is an additional charge for multiple appetizers or entrée, you can order as many sides and desserts as you wish in the Pinnacle. 
The baked potato itself could satisfy a family of three easily, but there are other potatoes and vegetables that can also be ordered in addition. Same with the desserts. 
All this, in addition to a single appetizer and meat, should satisfy even a male teen (the kind with hollow legs).   

• Like 7

I find it odd that the Pinnacle charges for an extra appetizer, yet you can order as many sides as you wish.  Kind of silly IMO.  I can understand an upcharge for an extra main entree.  

IIRC there was no charge for an extra appetizer in Tamarind or the MDR.  

Although not new in 2023, but since the restart- the muster drill is now a simple check in at muster station & a safety briefing on the TV in your stateroom.  Time to check in to your muster station is not pre set, you just need to do that before sail away.  We just go there soon after boarding, get checked in & we are on vacation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Banditswife said:

I find it odd that the Pinnacle charges for an extra appetizer, yet you can order as many sides as you wish.  Kind of silly IMO.  I can understand an upcharge for an extra main entree.  

These sides are often a lot smaller than in the past. On the Koningsdam, I would usually receive a half baked potato (for each person) and 5-6 mushrooms for the mushroom dish. They clearly only want you to order what you will eat.

Edited by ChinaShrek

3 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Try the  Pinnacle Restaurant  for lunch on sea days only , Charges are dar less than dinners ,like $15 pp . Imo Canaletto is the best of all 3  special restaurants & the least un price

We don’t have a problem with the dinner price, I just don’t want my SIL to deal with having to tell the boys to only have  one item per course in front of everyone. It is better for her to be aware and let them know  beforehand. One course apiece is more than plenty for a normal person, but her boys eat an inordinate amount of food (and don’t waste).  However, IMO they should only order what’s permitted and then go fill up in the Lido buffet later if they’re still hungry.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Banditswife said:

Although not new in 2023, but since the restart- the muster drill is now a simple check in at muster station & a safety briefing on the TV in your stateroom.  Time to check in to your muster station is not pre set, you just need to do that before sail away.  We just go there soon after boarding, get checked in & we are on vacation.

Thank you for the info!

4 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

In the Pinnacle Grill, a second starter/appetizer is $7 and a second main/entree is $15. There are also some supplement/upcharge selections. In Tamarind, there is a $10 charge for a second main/entree.

See the menus at https://rogerjett-photography.com/   The charges for additional items are in the fine print on the relevant pages,

Thank you!  This is exactly what we need to know! 👍

There is always room service or late pizza, before and after dinner at the Pinnacle if one is worried about teenage appetites not being satiated at the Pinnacle itself. 

Food waste was just one of the many "green issues" tha have now affected all cruise ships. Various ways of tackling this - smaller portions; limits on extra portions, less self-serve, getting rid of the former Lido trays.

Lots of people besides passengers are now looking over the shoulders of cruise ships and one of the loudest are the environmental activists. Read some of their websites (Friends of the Earth is a good one) and you will not even recognize their version of cruise ships compared to our own realities about them.

However, these groups do carry a lot of political weight and are shutting down some ports because  they are active, organized and relentlessly vocal.  Food waste and ship waste disposals are very high on their lists of cruise ship crimes against nature.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leigha7 said:

We don’t have a problem with the dinner price, I just don’t want my SIL to deal with having to tell the boys to only have  one item per course in front of everyone. It is better for her to be aware and let them know  beforehand. One course apiece is more than plenty for a normal person, but her boys eat an inordinate amount of food (and don’t waste).  However, IMO they should only order what’s permitted and then go fill up in the Lido buffet later if they’re still hungry.  

I think that normal.  You can't compare someone that is eighty to someone that is young and probably quite active.  One of the posters i think it was @Hlitnerhad a great idea. Order your one appetizer than go up to the Lido and grab a salad or whatever and bring it back to the pinnacle. I love this idea. Stupid is as stupid does.

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

There is always room service or late pizza, before and after dinner at the Pinnacle if one is worried about teenage appetites not being satiated at the Pinnacle itself. 

Food waste was just one of the many "green issues" tha have now affected all cruise ships. Various ways of tackling this - smaller portions; limits on extra portions, less self-serve, getting rid of the former Lido trays.

Lots of people besides passengers are now looking over the shoulders of cruise ships and one of the loudest are the environmental activists. Read some of their websites (Friends of the Earth is a good one) and you will not even recognize their version of cruise ships compared to our own realities about them.

However, these groups do carry a lot of political weight and are shutting down some ports because  they are active, organized and relentlessly vocal.  Food waste and ship waste disposals are very high on their lists of cruise ship crimes against nature.

I think it has a lot more to do with a cash grab than food waste.

3 hours ago, Banditswife said:

.  Although not new in 2023, but since the restart- the muster drill is now a simple check in at muster station & a safety briefing on the TV in your stateroom.  Time to check in to your muster station is not pre set, you just need to do that before sail away.  We just go there soon after boarding, get checked in & we are on vacation.

Are you able to find out where your Muster Station is without first going to your stateroom?

53 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Are you able to find out where your Muster Station is without first going to your stateroom?

No. Your muster station is on your key card which will be in your mailbox by your room when you board.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Sure doesn't sound like it. All we've heard about the changes in the entertainment is what's going away. What's replacing it is unclear. If Lincoln Center is going to be on World Stage as a group that travels form ship to ship, with my luck, they won't be on any cruise I'm taking. I still haven't seen Cantare. All I ever see is Step One. 

We just got off the NS. We dined in the Canaletto and are used to ordering a handful of Mains to "family" share. We were very surprised when told "only one main per person and no extras"! Some sides are too small for sharing, yet some mains are too large for one person to eat. Italian sharing with a group is what it's always been about in the Canaletto! This was definitely a different policy than we've experienced on all of our sailings over the last 6-12 months. I know every ship has their own policies, however this was definitely not a policy we hope becomes fleet wide!

Edited by boze9999
typo

12 minutes ago, boze9999 said:

We just got off the NS. We dined in the Canaletto and are used to ordering a handful of Mains to "family" share. We were very surprised when told "only one main per person and no extras"! Some sides are too small for sharing, yet some mains are too large for one person to eat. Italian sharing with a group is what it's always been about in the Canaletto! This was definitely a different policy than we've experienced on all of our sailings over the last 6-12 months. I know every ship has their own policies, however this was definitely not a policy we hope becomes fleet wide!

That’s the issue.  People don’t voice their displeasure and they keep doing this.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

My mother was an environmentalist before anyone knew what the word meant.  I am very careful about waste ... and our last two cruises (NCL & Princess) were great when it came to small portions.  I was really happy to not be served too much food and a) waste it, or b) eat it all.  I know that the activists continue to grow in loudness, but usually not knowledge ... but in this case they've done us all some good.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

My mother was an environmentalist before anyone knew what the word meant.  I am very careful about waste ... and our last two cruises (NCL & Princess) were great when it came to small portions.  I was really happy to not be served too much food and a) waste it, or b) eat it all.  I know that the activists continue to grow in loudness, but usually not knowledge ... but in this case they've done us all some good.  

Our mothers also knew how to deal with left-overs. Ship sanitation rules require everything not consumed gets  thrown out after four hours.  A trip on the Trans-Siberian train followed different rules - what we did not eat one day kept showing up later in different forms from soups, to stews to sausages until every bit left on our plates was gone.

So cutting down on food waste  in this setting is not just about "saving money". Though you can't blame them when they got shut tight rather arbitrarily tight for 2 years and are floating now on mountains of debt to repay. I don't mind doing my part to help save the industry right now in these little ways, if we can. 

Even cookies do not escape the tossed out food rules, when I begged our waiter to see if he could find some of those yummy palm sugar wraps after the Indonesian tea. He looked at his watch and said they had probably already been thrown out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1