Newbie Q~ Dinner Reservations

Kalscruise

I’m in charge of making our reservations for four to six of us.  I make it using our cabin and adding two to four guests.  We also always link our reservations together.  Silversea never has had a problem with that and even in the fee restaurants they have sorted it out without any problem.  

• Like 3

Yes, to expand on what Randy said: Go to "my.silversea..." and make your dinner reservation for the guests in your cabin, then add the number of additional guests from the dropdown menu just below your names. Screenshot of my reservation where I'm adding a booking, and adding guests:

ForCCdinnerreservation.thumb.jpg.88fe9ade49b3559b0c4b502ba2e1cd00.jpg

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Kalscruise said:

Easy enough to get 1st choice of dining times??  FOMO.. time after excursion to relax and have pre dinner cocktails, leisurely dinner and evening show...  over thinking it all, I know!  

Usually it’s the very early dining times that fill up quickly.  Typically we take later times, usually without too much trouble, especially on port intensive itineraries where we’re off the ship a lot.   As you posted we like to have time to clean up, relax with a cocktail, and enjoy our meal.  Probably means we eat a little later than we do at home but then again we’re not prepping, cooking, and then cleaning up before and after dinner.  We don’t run ourselves ragged on a cruise but we are a lot more active than just sitting on our patio like at home.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, lauraleigh9mm said:

How hard is it to book restaurants when onboard?

It’s possible but it depends somewhat on the ship, the length of the cruise, and the weather.  For example, on a warm weather 7-day cruise it may be hard to get a reservation at the Hot Rocks venue as it can be very popular and with limited days it fills up quickly.  Another case is La Terrazza.  That restaurant is always very popular and it can fill up quickly.  It really depends on a number of factors and hard to say it is either possible or impossible.  Best suggestion is if you don’t book reservations before you board work with your butler, they can usually but not always find you a table reservation.   

On a related topic, I am on the Muse in April and after I had paid the fare in full I was able to make dinner reservations in Silver Note and LaDame.  Checked the other day and they had all disappeared.  Now I am waitlisted for LaDame.  Anyone else have the same experience?

3 hours ago, white oak said:

On a related topic, I am on the Muse in April and after I had paid the fare in full I was able to make dinner reservations in Silver Note and LaDame.  Checked the other day and they had all disappeared.  Now I am waitlisted for LaDame.  Anyone else have the same experience?

Unfortunately yes it happens and I have no idea why.  I just stay after it and luckily we have been able to make our reservations happen.  Your butler is your best friend once in the ship, they can often straighten things out. 

21 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

Unfortunately yes it happens and I have no idea why.  I just stay after it and luckily we have been able to make our reservations happen.  Your butler is your best friend once in the ship, they can often straighten things out. 

I have had more success securing dinner reservations going to the venue myself and requesting a reservation. I wish Silversea would do away with the Butlers.  I find them superfluous - except on our very first cruise, our wonderful butler brought camomile tea to our cabin (without me asking) as we were crossing the Gulf of Mexico in sort of rough weather. It was SO appreciated. 

7 hours ago, lauraleigh9mm said:

How hard is it to book restaurants when onboard?

Easy.

6 hours ago, white oak said:

Anyone else have the same experience?

Sure. Lots of folks have.

2 hours ago, Randyk47 said:

Unfortunately yes it happens and I have no idea why.

Because it’s not a reservation system, but a request system.  No dining venue booked online is guaranteed, neither date, nor time.

That makes no sense to me.  If it is just a request system then why did it reflect on the "activities" or "my dining reservations" page the dates and times I had requested for a week or so and then every one of them disappear.   I have now made new "requests" as you put it and apparently they are subject to the same disappearing act.  Seems like a nonsensical waste of everyone's time.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, white oak said:

If it is just a request system then why did it reflect on the "activities" or "my dining reservations" page the dates and times I had requested for a week or so and then every one of them disappear.

Why?  Because your requests aren’t a confirmed reservation until on board.  You will receive your confirmation in your suite.

Like JP said, your requests will usually work out. Sometimes they don't. When that has happened to us and we didn’t like what had been confirmed, we just work with our butler and Maitre d’ of the ship to make changes accordingly.

I'm a newbie too but traveling solo. I was planning on figuring it out at the time, in case I meet some other travelers who are open to me joining them, or just end up eating solo, which I'm comfortable doing. I'm hoping since I'm just a party of 1 they can sneak me in somewhere, especially if I'm happy to wait and have a drink.

Is this a bad idea?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, irvington said:

I'm a newbie too but traveling solo. I was planning on figuring it out at the time, in case I meet some other travelers who are open to me joining them, or just end up eating solo, which I'm comfortable doing. I'm hoping since I'm just a party of 1 they can sneak me in somewhere, especially if I'm happy to wait and have a drink.

Is this a bad idea?

I only sail solo......you will not have any issues with dining and they won't sneak you in...I hope you are kidding.  The wait/bar staff is excellent and will always be happy to seat you, just like anyone else.

And just to make you aware, SS offers an area in one of the lounges (Usually Dolce Vita) for cocktails.

If you want to join, you may, if not you can sit at the bar. But it can be a nice way to meet others (IF you are so inclined) and folks do end up dining together.  No pressure but that option is available.

And if you want it eat solo, again, that is not an issue.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Lois R said:

***I should have said there is an area set aside for solo guests in the lounge for drinks. 

This is great to know. I wasn't really kidding about the sneak me in 🙂 I travel a lot for business and, even locally, will sometimes just eat at the bar. I'm comfortable chatting with the host and the waitstaff/bartender and doing something in a low impact way. The flexibility in not making a reservation is what I need, and I'm just not very high maintenance about where I sit.

That said, I do look forward to connecting with other solo travelers (or other travelers period) so that's cool to know there may be some ways to do that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, irvington said:

This is great to know. I wasn't really kidding about the sneak me in 🙂 I travel a lot for business and, even locally, will sometimes just eat at the bar. I'm comfortable chatting with the host and the waitstaff/bartender and doing something in a low impact way. The flexibility in not making a reservation is what I need, and I'm just not very high maintenance about where I sit.

That said, I do look forward to connecting with other solo travelers (or other travelers period) so that's cool to know there may be some ways to do that.

Glad to help. I have it very easy to meet other folks on board🙂

My fingers are typing too fast. I should have  posted I have found it very easy to meet others on board.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I am booked on the Silver Nova departing Vancouver to Tokyo next Sept 2024.

As a Silversea newbie, I am wondering when would restaurants reservations open as I am not able to see it on my.silversea account.