RoyalUp - not for everyone

On 3/2/2023 at 9:15 AM, lme901 said:

Depending on your booking, it might not be eligible. I have two cruises booked through Costco Travel and remember seeing they would not be eligible somewhere in the booking process. In both cases, I’m ok with that. We have an extended balcony on one and are traveling with another couple on the other. I’ll happily take the money we saved with Costco over Royal up bidding chances. 😊

We book our cruises through "C" and were told that they do not participate in Royal Up.  I am with you, prefer "C's" perks

24 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Really? Never looked at them. .. more than just OBC?

The OBC is not something you can use on the cruise.  Rather, it was in the form of a gift card that we could use to redeem merchandise at their store.  Last year we took quite a few cruises and the sum total of the cards allowed me to purchase a nice desktop computer. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jacelyn said:

did you save any money by bidding over just reserving it?

Absolutely, we bid just over minimum. I looked up to see what it would be before we bid, I was like $5,000 more. But as I said before, we were on an older ship, with a lot of older passengers, I believe it would be different on an Oasis or Quantum Class Ship.

On 3/2/2023 at 12:00 PM, robmtx said:

Ok I'm bored today. Here's an example of how a RU decision might be made. I'm using the knowledge someone shared that they went from a GS to OS for $100. I'm also basing this on a similar scheme from another industry (not travel), that generates revenue in a familiar way.

It's all about revenue. So let's look at two Royal Up "Tree" scenarios, and why one scenario might get chosen over another, despite someone getting an OS for $100.

Accepted Bid Tree
1. Inside RU to > Balcony $200
2. Then Balcony RU to > JR Suite $400
3. Then Jr Suite RU to > GS = $700
4. Finally GS RU to > OS = $100
Total rev generated = $1,400

Rejected Bid Tree
1. Balcony RU to > OS = $700
2. Then Inside RU to > Balcony $200 (to fill the empty cabin created by step 1)
Total rev generated = $900

So, in this fictional example, the cruise line had an OS available. Rather than just giving it to someone who bid $700, they give it someone who bid $100 because that generated a better revenue stream overall.

Makes sense, and on top of that they may have a market need to free up some staterooms (a wedding party or a request from a broker), and it makes money for them to let people pay to upgrade, then they can sell the newly vacant cabins for a premium price. They also might be trying to free up a specific cabin or two so that somebody can get connecting rooms or some other VVIP treatment.

11 hours ago, jacelyn said:

did you save any money by bidding over just reserving it?

There are 16 cabins left in the category I want.
Currently it would cost me £6000 more than I have paid already, to actually buy that cabin so I’d be happy to bid £1000 to secure it…. When and if the option to bid opens for me! 

• Like 1

I looked earlier and got the “30 days” message. Today I got an email offer. My cruise isn’t until May 19. I am solo in an interior, so I low bid balconies and outsides. I’m happy if I get an up sale and I’ll be happy in my interior.

Enjoy

We have won six bids so far, and have never bid more than the minimum. We have submitted winning bids as far out as 60 days and as close in as 3 days before sail date. Maybe it is because we are starting out in at least a JS that we have been successful but who knows why they do anything that they do...