Has anyone been on Viking's optional tour-"Resurrection Bay Wildlife Cruise in Seward, Aalaska??

moatenote

I’ve done a cruise on Resurrection bay a few years ago, on an independent driving trip to Alaska. It was fantastic, we saw lots of wildlife, birds, and some whales. (though never a large breaching whale!) It was worth the money, and we booked with Major Marine I think. All cruises depart from the same area so no need to go with the cruise line tour if others have good times and lower prices. 

We did it independently. It was fabulous. On our disembark day on Orion. Viking held our luggage as the train to anchorage leaves in the afternoon. Cheaper to do it independently and through major marine at the dock

Edited by Pushka

If it fits your schedule I’d highly recommend the 8-hour Northwestern Fjord tour with either Kenai Fjord Tours or Major Marine.  It travels farther than the tours that stay within Resurrection Bay and the scenery and wildlife sightings are amazing.  We saw humpback, orca, puffins, bald eagles and more.  You motor up to a calving glacier in a gorgeous bay with sea lions floating on the ice.   It was one of the most memorable excursions we’ve ever taken.  Geez, the memories are flooding back, I need to book another Alaska trip!!

• Haha 1

EE34282D-EC7E-4CD0-8355-E603C6765B0C.jpeg

The tiny dots in the water on the left? Sea lions. This glacier was spectacular. And as for the Orcas, humpbacks, puffins, seals, birds....what a day. This was early June. 

D68BCD11-D850-4A02-914F-CB414561B9F9.jpeg

883E08A4-D034-44FB-93E3-3CBBE23728DC.jpeg

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 2

We sailed on Orion in June 2022. We did a tour through Viking in Seward. We took the Kenai Fjords National Park Boat. The weather that day was perfect in that it was a clear sunny day. We have sailed on 20+ cruises and this excursion was in the top 5. We saw a pod of killer whales that even dove under the catamaran we were on. Saw a group of humpback whales that were doing the bubbling technique where they dive down together, blow bubbles to force plankton and small fish up to the surface and then the whales open their mouths and feed on fish and planktons as they surface. Saw bald eagles and puffins. Also went to a large glacier and saw some more humpback whales. A friend of mine did the same cruise in late August and did not see any whales, so later in season the whales have already started their migration south. Just a perfect excursion to end the cruise portion of our cruise.

Don’t hesitate to book the tour with Viking. We also were on the Orion in June 2022.There were 2 excursions offered.   One titled Resurrection Bay wildlife tour  and the other a longer trip (by one hr ) Kenai Fjords National Park.  We took the longer one and it was the highlight of the whole Alaskan cruise. So much wildlife. Bucket list orcas.   The tour provided a memory glass and a beverage and a sack lunch.  I am sure you can do it independently as they have quite the operation operating out of Seward with multiple boats.  The transfer with Viking was very easy.  There is a ramp to the boat, which fluctuates with the tide.  We are so glad we chose to stay in Seward for a few days this trip as we usually go on the Homer.   We rented a car, at the last minute and visited the Glacier and a salmon run, bear creek weir.  We stayed at the “boutique” hotel Harbor 360 run by major marine.   We had stayed there previously when it was a holiday inn. If you opt for a waterfront view room be aware that they load the boats outside your window and not all rooms have tubs. 

3 hours ago, gradydude said:

Don’t hesitate to book the tour with Viking. We also were on the Orion in June 2022.There were 2 excursions offered.   One titled Resurrection Bay wildlife tour  and the other a longer trip (by one hr ) Kenai Fjords National Park.  We took the longer one and it was the highlight of the whole Alaskan cruise. So much wildlife. Bucket list orcas.   The tour provided a memory glass and a beverage and a sack lunch.  I am sure you can do it independently as they have quite the operation operating out of Seward with multiple boats.  The transfer with Viking was very easy.  There is a ramp to the boat, which fluctuates with the tide.  We are so glad we chose to stay in Seward for a few days this trip as we usually go on the Homer.   We rented a car, at the last minute and visited the Glacier and a salmon run, bear creek weir.  We stayed at the “boutique” hotel Harbor 360 run by major marine.   We had stayed there previously when it was a holiday inn. If you opt for a waterfront view room be aware that they load the boats outside your window and not all rooms have tubs. 

We used to live in Anchorage and have taken the Kenai Fjords tour out of Seward. I agree, not to be missed!

• Like 1

Many thanks for this wonderful information!  Our only hesitation to taking the Keani Fjords tour insstead of the Resurrection Bay one is that they caution us that the water in the Gulf of Alaska can be rather rough and a problem for those of us who tend to get seasick----and that's me!!

I would suspect that Major Marine or Kenai Fjords is the provider actually doing the excursion as they do most of the Kenai boat excursions.  Check out both of their sites to try to match the Viking offering w the tour operator offering to compare tours and prices.  Regardless of exactly what Viking is offering you should take the longest tour that your port stop allows.  One advantage of the longer cruise is that they take you to 2 glaciers instead of 1.

We have done either 3 or 4 Kenai excursions w Major Marine and they were all wonderful.  Two of the advantages of Major Marine over Kenai is that you get reserved seating on the ship that is yours for the duration.  Also I think that the lunch is better on Major Marine.

DON

Another vote for Major Marine - 

I researched it thoroughly before a 2020 planned Alaska trip and had decided on them for 2020 trip which never happened.

One local kayak guide I’m still friends with from a 2019 trip vouched for them as having the best safety practices, conservative Go-NoGo decisions, and boat maintenance.  All very important in Alaska.

My personal Go-NoGo decision was

If the resurrection bay waves were > (what was it…) 7 feet?  Or 5 feet, I’d stay on land and go to the Seward aquarium

Can’t recall the website, but there’s a site you can check that morning

Edited by SempreMare