Post cruise driving trip of North Island from Aukland

Hi all, I understand that it's preferable to do a land trip rather than a driving trip of New Zealand.  Since we've wanted to do it via cruise, we are hoping to add on a 5- to 7-day driving tour of the north island after our cruise, which ends in Aukland.  I've done a bunch of reading on self-driving tours and interestingly, the majority of driving tours suggest going to where the cruise ship will have already stopped.  For the north island, the ship goes to Wellington, Napier, Tauranga, and Bay of Islands, granted for just a part of one day.  Is there a driving experience that people recommend for post cruise?  From Tauranga we will plan to do Hobbiton so we will miss the cultural and natural things in Rotorua.  Just trying to make the best use of our precious travel days.  We love the outdoors and cultural activities.  Thanks in advance for suggestions - Maureen

I've cross posted this in the "Ports of Call" section of the board.

Edited just now by maureenk

4 hours ago, maureenk said:

Hi all, I understand that it's preferable to do a land trip rather than a driving trip of New Zealand.  Since we've wanted to do it via cruise, we are hoping to add on a 5- to 7-day driving tour of the north island after our cruise, which ends in Aukland.  I've done a bunch of reading on self-driving tours and interestingly, the majority of driving tours suggest going to where the cruise ship will have already stopped.  For the north island, the ship goes to Wellington, Napier, Tauranga, and Bay of Islands, granted for just a part of one day.  Is there a driving experience that people recommend for post cruise?  From Tauranga we will plan to do Hobbiton so we will miss the cultural and natural things in Rotorua.  Just trying to make the best use of our precious travel days.  We love the outdoors and cultural activities.  Thanks in advance for suggestions - Maureen

I've cross posted this in the "Ports of Call" section of the board.

Edited just now by maureenk

It is true the best way to see NZ is by road.

The best is the centre of the South Island and I would fly into Queeestown and do a loop.

The road to Milford Sound is the best ,a few of nights in Queenstown would be the highlight.

• Like 2

As the OP has mentioned a short driving tour in the North Island, I will focus on that. You make a good point that the ship is calling into the important cities in the north. However, with a visit to Hobbiton while you are in Tauranga, you would miss Rorotua and I feel that is very important. To visit it by road before or after you cruise, you would probably need two days whereas visiting while the ship is in Tauranga, would take just one port day.

On the internet, I see it is possible to stay overnight at Hobbiton. If you are a fan, you might enjoy this, but obviously it would be something you would do on an independent driving tour. If you are driving presumably after picking a car up from Auckland, you could visit Rotorua, Hobbiton and the glow-worm caves at Waitomo in a three-day car hire. If you planned to do this, you could do something else when the ship calls into Tauranga.

• Like 1

We have done several car trips in the North Island, which we love.  We visit Northland and the beautiful Bay of Islands and the Coromandel Peninsula.  We live like a local in baches, holiday shacks unique to NZ.  new zealand.com

Things to see on that long of a North Island car trip in addition to Rotorua could include Taupo, Tongariro National Park, the Waitomo caves and glowworms, and one of the winery areas. Also consider driving to Wellington and then taking the scenic Northern Explorer train back to Auckland. If you do Hobbiton on your own instead of as a cruise excursion, consider going there in the evening--the massive dinner feast is lots of fun, it's much less crowded then, and the area is beautiful when all lit up. 

4 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

As the OP has mentioned a short driving tour in the North Island, I will focus on that. You make a good point that the ship is calling into the important cities in the north. However, with a visit to Hobbiton while you are in Tauranga, you would miss Rorotua and I feel that is very important. To visit it by road before or after you cruise, you would probably need two days whereas visiting while the ship is in Tauranga, would take just one port day.

On the internet, I see it is possible to stay overnight at Hobbiton. If you are a fan, you might enjoy this, but obviously it would be something you would do on an independent driving tour. If you are driving presumably after picking a car up from Auckland, you could visit Rotorua, Hobbiton and the glow-worm caves at Waitomo in a three-day car hire. If you planned to do this, you could do something else when the ship calls into Tauranga.

No unfortunately. It was a 1-off for a very luck winner of the competition (staying at Hobbiton)! Don't know why they don't make it a thing.. it would be amazing 🙂 

Auckland to Waitomo Caves then across to Rotorua - the back route from Te Kuiti used to be a lovely drive but I haven't done it for many years. Allow two full days in Rotorua. 

Then head for the Coromandel Peninsula via Tauranga. There is a loop you can do up one side from Waihi - stay two nights at Whitianga so you have a full day there. I recommend a boat trip to Cathedral and a visit to Hot Water Beach (check the tides as to the best time to go there). Then go around to Coromandel, stay there, then head back to Auckland via Thames.

That's 7 days. If you want more detailed directions let me know.

If you like a little adventure check out Blackwater rafting at Waitomo caves. You also get to see glow worms from a different perspective.

https://www.waitomo.com/black-water-rafting

I've done two road tours of the North island and went Blackawater rafting both times. Last time was Feb 2020 at age 71 and my travelling companion was 69.

I can't see any mention of the date that you will be in Auckland but I would like to remind you that here in North Island we had a recent disaster and lots of roads damaged that will be months to repair.

With this in mind you will have to stay clear of Coromandel and the east coast of North Island with all roads going north from Napier closed.  The Taupō to Napier road is badly damaged in two places and they are working on temporary bypasses and the main road into Coromandel is restricted to essential traffic as it is also badly damaged.

If you want to see the real New Zealand then can I suggest you stay off the main highways as you will see nothing but nose to tail traffic.

From Auckland, take the motorway to Pokeno and turn right to Tuakau and if you have the time head to Port Waikato, if not then keep heading south to Raglan then south again and if you must go to Rotorua than head for Te Awamutu, Putaruru and Rotorua.  If not doing Rotorua then keep heading south to Te Kuiti and at Pio Pio take the coast road to New Plymouth or stay inland to Stratford then to Hawera, Patea, Wanganui, Foxton, Levin and at Waikanae consider going inland to Upper Hutt, Lower Hutt and Wellington.

The driver does not see much while driving so I suggest you time your trip to fit in with the rail journey from Wellington to Auckland and sit back and look at the scenery.  The railway line takes in many sights and places that you will not see by road.

• Like 2

Some cruise lines offer a combined Hobbiton and Rotorua excursion in one day. We were on Celebrity in January and that particular excursion was booked out pretty quickly. I agree with Iainmac, there have been a lot of roads closed in the areas mentioned but still some wonderful places for you to explore.