Cape Liberty hotel recommendation?

Cruisin'4Us

Can you please suggest some hotels within a 30 minute drive of Cape Liberty.  We will park in the Cape Liberty parking garage, so we don't need other transportation.  Preferably, the hotel will have safe parking and a restaurant within walking distance.  We just need a hotel that is relatively nice for about $200 or so for one night, 3 people.

We are thinking of the Hampton Inn & Suites Elizabeth Newark Airport (formerly the Country Inn.)  There is a Ruby Tuesday's next door.  Thoughts?  The Mills at Jersey Gardens mall is close to the hotel.  I'm afraid to ask - what's the crime rate like in this hotel/mall area?

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Cruisin'4Us said:

Can you please suggest some hotels within a 30 minute drive of Cape Liberty.  We will park in the Cape Liberty parking garage, so we don't need other transportation.  Preferably, the hotel will have safe parking and a restaurant within walking distance.  We just need a hotel that is relatively nice for about $200 or so for one night, 3 people.

We are thinking of the Hampton Inn & Suites Elizabeth Newark Airport (formerly the Country Inn.)  There is a Ruby Tuesday's next door.  Thoughts?  The Mills at Jersey Gardens mall is close to the hotel.  I'm afraid to ask - what's the crime rate like in this hotel/mall area?

Thank you!

I often recommend staying at one of the hotels in that enclave adjacent to The Mills at Jersey Gardens because of the proximity to a few chain restaurants and the mall. 

In addition to The Hampton Inn and Suites, there's an Extended Stay America, Embassy Suites, Courtyard by Marriott and Residence Inn by Marriott. If you have favorite among those chains then book it.

The are isn't Shangri-La or the Garden of Eden but I wouldn't be overly concerned about safety. 

Agree...Hampton Inn & Suites as it was just finally renovated. Hated this hotel when it was the Country Inn Suites. We're booked there for our cruise this coming October.

Thank you njhorseman and Ashland!

We stayed at the County Inn in 2015.  It needed a renovation even back then, which is why we were interested in exploring alternatives.  It should be better with the recent renovation.  We had a direct view of the runway, which was interesting.  If we wanted a quieter room, which side and floor of the hotel do you believe would be better?

We stayed at Country Inn Suites in 2017 and it was owned by Radisson then and it was a dump, continually under renovation that went no where until Hilton purchased it and it became Hampton Inn & Suites and was recently renovated.

Our room faced the front and we had no noise issues then...just disgust with our upgraded room booked with points...what a waste !!!

From the new pictures I'm hoping for the best.

23 hours ago, Cruisin'4Us said:

.  Preferably, the hotel will have safe parking and a restaurant within walking distance.  We just need a hotel that is relatively nice for about $200 or so for one night, 3 people.

I mentioned in another similar post the Hilton Short Hills which is located about 30 minutes from Cape Liberty and is in an extremely safe area. The hotel itself is across the street from the toney Mall at Short Hills with plenty of dining both on site and over at the mall. Sometimes the rates exceed $200 but on the weekends especially they will be in your budget and its a full service 4 star hotel. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I saw online (and confirmed with the hotel) that the Ruby Tuesday restaurant that was next to the Hampton Inn & Suites Elizabeth has closed.  That's a shame since it was so convenient to walk next door for dinner.

Any suggestions for other restaurants nearby (for dinner)?  The Bossa Fish restaurant has great google reviews.

Edited by Cruisin'4Us

11 minutes ago, Cruisin'4Us said:

I saw online (and confirmed with the hotel) that the Ruby Tuesday restaurant that was next to the Hampton Inn & Suites Elizabeth has closed.  That's a shame since it was so convenient to walk next door for dinner.

Any suggestions for other restaurants nearby (for dinner)?  The Bossa Fish restaurant has great google reviews.

IHOP is walking distance from your hotel. The Jersey Gardens mall will have food options too.

• Like 1

Has anyone considered staying in Jersey City which is just a 20-minute drive from Cape Liberty? I want to arrive a night before our cruise, but I would like to stay someone with some ambience and good restaurants without having to go to Manhattan again. Any thoughts?

23 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

Has anyone considered staying in Jersey City which is just a 20-minute drive from Cape Liberty? I want to arrive a night before our cruise, but I would like to stay someone with some ambience and good restaurants without having to go to Manhattan again. Any thoughts?

It’s a great idea, beautiful views.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

Hotels in Jersey City will be more expensive and probably charge for parking.

It is not necessary to stay 20-30 minutes from Cape Liberty. Look at Morristown, NJ hotels, a city that will have the ambience you seek. Parsippany,NJ is much more rural than the area around Bayonne and will have dining choices but lacking in ambience.

41 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

Hotels in Jersey City will be more expensive and probably charge for parking.

It is not necessary to stay 20-30 minutes from Cape Liberty. Look at Morristown, NJ hotels, a city that will have the ambience you seek. Parsippany,NJ is much more rural than the area around Bayonne and will have dining choices but lacking in ambience.

Google directions says Morristown is a 40 minute drive to Cape Liberty. And since we will be arriving at Newark airport and taking a taxi/Uber, I want to be getting closer to Cape Liberty not further away.

8 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

Google directions says Morristown is a 40 minute drive to Cape Liberty. And since we will be arriving at Newark airport and taking a taxi/Uber, I want to be getting closer to Cape Liberty not further away.

Wrongly assumed you were driving. As mjkacmom stated, the views of lower Manhattan from Jersey City are spectacular. 

Downtown Newark hotels, not area airport hotels in Newark or Elizabeth, will provide outstanding dining choices in the Ironbound section, known for its Brazilian, Portugese and Spanish cuisine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, meadowlander said:

Wrongly assumed you were driving. As mjkacmom stated, the views of lower Manhattan from Jersey City are spectacular. 

Downtown Newark hotels, not area airport hotels in Newark or Elizabeth, will provide outstanding dining choices in the Ironbound section, known for its Brazilian, Portugese and Spanish cuisine.

I was just going to suggest the doubletree at Penn station, there are amazing restaurants in the area. 

On 7/17/2023 at 2:56 PM, meadowlander said:

Hotels in Jersey City will be more expensive and probably charge for parking....

Even the Hampton Inn & Suites Elizabeth Newark Airport online booking system shows $20/night for "self parking."

However, their "AAA Park and Stay" rate appears to include parking for 1 vehicle per room.

Thank you for the dinner suggestions!

Edited by Cruisin'4Us

3 hours ago, Alex618 said:

Booked Westin in Jersey City for our May Bermuda cruise.  Looking for recommendations for transportation to Port Liberty?

When you book Uber or Lyft, or if booking a car service, and even if you take a taxi, be sure to use the correct name of the cruise port, Cape Liberty. There's an area of Jersey City named Port Liberte, which happens to have a ferry terminal. You don't want to be taken there by mistake.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, njhorseman said:

When you book Uber or Lyft, or if booking a car service, and even if you take a taxi, be sure to use the correct name of the cruise port, Cape Liberty. There's an area of Jersey City named Port Liberte, which happens to have a ferry terminal. You don't want to be taken there by mistake.

Thank you