Sitka,Victoria, and crab legs

melinda0222

Family of 5 with 3 teen boys 14 and up.  Juneau, Skagway, Sitka, Victoria on Quantum mid June 2023.   Juneau we have private salmon/halibut fishing with whale watching.  Skagway renting a jeep and driving on our own.  Looking for:

Sitka:  wanting to just rent bicycles (not e bikes) and see the town on our own or hiking in the area (need bear spray?).   Does anyone know if there is company at the pier, that rents normal bicycles?  If we decide to go hiking on our own, is bear spray needed here like in other parts of Alaska (assuming so). 

Victoria:  I have been here, this is a short evening stop.  Any suggestions for something you love with teens?  I really thought this town was charming but all we did was walk around

Crab legs:  Yes I want to eat crab legs (king or snow).  No we aren't going to have time in Juneau.  Will I have any luck in Skagway, Sitka, Victoria?  If you have your favorite stop I would love that suggestion as well.  Yes I know I can eat them at home (I do all the time), I want to eat them in Alaska.   Thanks for the help. 

• Like 1

Yellow Jersey bike shop near the harbor in Sitka rents bikes.

Victoria might be your best bet for king crab legs.  Due to the stock collapse they will be very expensive.  I would expect to see prices over $100 per pound. 

• Like 1

Last time in Sitka 2017 the old cruise dock had a crab shack at the top of the ramp.  As the boat pulled in some guy put on a big show of hauling up a trap and showing off crabs.  Didn't stop as I was cruising with my mother and she was not into crabs. Will try it next time  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

Keep in mind that crab season was canceled this year due to a supply shortage.

Summer is Dungeness season in SE Alaska and as far as I know, has not been cancelled.  We used to start the water on the stove, run down to the dock and buy a few dungies, and get back before the water boiled.  Best crab ever.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, melinda0222 said:

……. If we decide to go hiking on our own, is bear spray needed here like in other parts of Alaska (assuming so). …..

Just a quick comment from someone who lives in Alaska — I don’t understand why a tourist would ever need bear spray unless they are doing a remote trek in a place such as the Brooks Range.  Don’t overthink the issue.  

• Like 7

15 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

Summer is Dungeness season in SE Alaska and as far as I know, has not been cancelled.  We used to start the water on the stove, run down to the dock and buy a few dungies, and get back before the water boiled.  Best crab ever.

I'll take Dungeness crab over any other crab and lobster.  I remember the long gone days when they were 39 cents a pound when living in Washington.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

I was thinking of going to anabelle’s for dungeness crab legs. I am going the end of june. Should the crab be fresh-at that time?

As I remember, the Southeast Alaska fishery opens around mid-June.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 5:33 AM, Northern Aurora said:

Just a quick comment from someone who lives in Alaska — I don’t understand why a tourist would ever need bear spray unless they are doing a remote trek in a place such as the Brooks Range.  Don’t overthink the issue.  

Thank you.  I remember when we were in Skagway in 2017 our tour guide had some with him so this makes me feel better that we don't need it if we are just hiking around the Sitka area.  

On 3/12/2023 at 4:45 PM, wolfie11 said:

Yellow Jersey bike shop near the harbor in Sitka rents bikes.

Victoria might be your best bet for king crab legs.  Due to the stock collapse they will be very expensive.  I would expect to see prices over $100 per pound. 

Thank you for the bike shop and I was afraid of the pricing for King.  

Keep in mind that bear spray is a weapon (basically really strong mace) and you can't take it on the ship or a plane.  It costs around $50 a can.  I have been hiking in Alaska for 25 years and have never carried bear spray unless I was required to.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, melinda0222 said:

Thank you.  I remember when we were in Skagway in 2017 our tour guide had some with him so this makes me feel better that we don't need it if we are just hiking around the Sitka area.  

Be aware, Holland America is an order of magnitude MORE restrictive than even airplanes.  Pepper Spray (which is what bear spray is) is a prohibitive item.  You can buy it I'm sure in skagway, but will have to throw it away before you get back onboard.

-gregma

• Like 1

We live near Victoria.  If your teens are shoppers, there are quite a few quirky, hip stores in Downtown Victoria. You might also want to take a walk to Fan Tan Alley, "known for being the narrowest commercial street in North America, being less than 0.9 m (3.0 ft) wide at its narrowest point."  The alley is right across from MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op), which is a great outdoors clothes and equipment store (similar to REI in the U.S.), if that's of interest.  You could also stop by the Bard and Banker for a drink and/or snack - it's a pub (all ages) in a former old bank. These are all within walking distance of each other, and unless mobility is an issue, from the ship.

Hope that helps. 

Edited by SeaCBear
  • Like 4

On 3/15/2023 at 7:08 PM, SeaCBear said:

We live near Victoria.  If your teens are shoppers, there are quite a few quirky, hip stores in Downtown Victoria. You might also want to take a walk to Fan Tan Alley, "known for being the narrowest commercial street in North America, being less than 0.9 m (3.0 ft) wide at its narrowest point."  The alley is right across from MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op), which is a great outdoors clothes and equipment store (similar to REI in the U.S.), if that's of interest.  You could also stop by the Bard and Banker for a drink and/or snack - it's a pub (all ages) in a former old bank. These are all within walking distance of each other, and unless mobility is an issue, from the ship.

Hope that helps. 

This is so very helpful and I love the narrow street.  Thank you

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/17/2023 at 1:51 PM, tropiclvrs said:

Could you share who you are using for your Juneau fishing/whale watching charter?

Thanks!

I apologize as I am just now seeing this.  I am using Local Guys Charter