Cruising Then and Now--Not Better or Worse, Just Different!!!

Sthrngary

Our first cruise was on the Carnival Triumph in October1999. It was a 5 day cruise from Manhattan to Halifax Nova Scotia, with a stop in St. Johns. We paid $326.00 p.p. for a inside cabin.

Boy it was dark in there! Remember looking in a cabin across the hall that was a balcony cabin when the room was being cleaned and no one was around.

We have cruised 13 more times since and never in a inside cabin.

I remember the chocolate fountain or waterfall and being run over by the portly cruisers in the midnight buffet line. Sailing down the Hudson was very cool as well.

We have not cruised since covid and are not likely to either, too much has changed and not for the better. Cruising is not the same value it used to be.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 2:49 PM, wil e coyote said:

@Sthrngary, thanks for this. Our first cruise was in 1992, and I remember many of the same things that you list.

One other thing was that the ships were much, much smaller. Our first cruise was on the Starward, which held about 800 passengers, I believe. I still remember the day we visited St. Thomas. We tied up behind a new RCL ship (perhaps Majesty of the Seas? It's been 31 years so I won't swear to that). It was massive - at 2,500 passengers! Today, a 2,500 passenger ship is small on most cruise lines.

Another thing that many don't think about is cost. I don't have our receipt from that first cruise, but like you, it was an inside stateroom - basically the least expensive cabin available. No drink package, no free airfare, no internet, no specialty dining. I wish I could remember the exact amount, but my DW and I think it was close to $2,000 for a week for the two of us. Today, if I Look enough, I can get into a balcony stateroom with a drink package, specialty dining, and internet for...about $2,000 for the two of us. Now, as you have noted, the "luxury level" has definitely gone down over the last 31 years, but considering that everything else has gotten more expensive, that shouldn't be a big surprise. This is part of the reason why I don't mind paying for the Haven. Yes, it is more expensive. But compared to the adjusted-for-inflation pricing from 30 years ago, it is actually not all that expensive.

I DO miss the flaming baked Alaska parades. But on second thought, flaming food on a ship probably isn't a great idea!

My first cruise was also on my honeymoon on the Starward. We were in an outside with a tiny port hole and the entire room was metal and felt we were on a Navy ship. I also remembered if pulling right into town for both St  Thomas St Martin. You can still see those ports today - very tiny and unused. I remember having to dress up for every dinner and didn’t have the right clothes. 

Our first cruise was in 2003 on the Dawn when she was still fairly new. I remember her having coin laundry for passengers! Chocolate on the pillows. DSC was $7.95 pp and the charge for the specialty restaurants was $20 (no added gratuities!) The service was amazing! After having napkins placed in our laps all week, the joke was who was going to do it when we’re back on land 😹

Good times! The following year was The Dream with the same amazing service. Another dozen or so cruises since then. The differences are striking …

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

@Sthrngary I basically agree with your assertion. "Not Better or Worse, Just Different". 

But one thing that I really miss is that cruising used to make you feel like you were "special". Nowadays, not so much.  I do miss that.  

@PATRLR I understand your comment.  For my wife and I, it depends on the brand, level of suite chosen (VIP Area's) and amenities.  I call what you are referring to as "Personalized Service".  Making me feel like a rock star. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

My first cruise was 22 years ago: a weekend "booze cruise" on RCL just after 9/11.  Inside cabin was ~$99 because people were petrified to travel (sound familiar?)  I didn't cruise for 10 years after that then took my first NCL cruise on the Epic because of the studio cabins.

Agreed, some things have suffered in the ensuing years but other things are much improved.  Inflation adjusted, I believe the "all in" cost of a cruise is less now than it was then but there's annoying "nickel and diming" now, making it harder to compare among cruise lines.  As you mentioned, balcony or better is standard for most cruisers now.  I was not a fan of assigned dinner seating nor dressing up so I usually skipped MDR; now I bake in the cost of specialty every night.  And I let my hair down a bit more now, knowing I won't have a bar tab approximating a mortgage payment.  You commented about difficulty getting a drink; for me, that's infrequent.  Perhaps that's because I hate crowds so avoid poolside bars at sailaway etc.  I do throw a few bucks to the bartenders but would like to think I'd get reasonably attentive service either way.  

I do miss the twice a day service and the towel animals.  I also think the dress code has gone from one extreme to the other (though not as much in the specialties) but, on the whole, I prefer things the way they are today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My first cruise was as a teenager with my parents on Costa Carla “C” we had a inside cabin somewhere in the bowels of the ship had to take the stairs to get to the cabin and you also had to step over the weird water proof door hatch’s on the floor. Surprisingly the cabin itself was not real small and the bathroom was probably the size of our whole cabin on the Epic on inside cabin.  The food and service were amazing.

• Thanks 1

On 3/15/2023 at 2:32 PM, FLAHAM said:

Crossing the Atlantic in 1961 with my grandmother, first class on the S.S. United States, the maitre went around the dining room at dinner time with a gold scoop, followed by a waiter with a large bowl, and dumped a mound of caviar on your plate.

I grew up in Philadelphia and still live in the burbs.  As you may know, the S.S. United States is docked on the Delaware River waterfront in South Philly and has been for many years.  I've passed it countless times.  It is not in good condition and there's an ongoing struggle to pay the docking fees.  I realize you can't make every retired ship into a tourist attraction but this state of (somewhat) stabilized ruin is just sad.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 3:16 PM, Sthrngary said:

Good point.  My first cruise was on the SS Norway.  It had a fire and stop sailing.  True story. It also was the largest cruise ship on the sea at the time.  The cost was $500.00 per person.  Same as you, no air, no drink package, internet did not exist, you gave your gratuities on the last day in cash and it was so grand. 

The Baked Alaska was kind of average and I always felt bad for our waiters.  The always seem to roll their eyes.  Still a great memory.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment/memory.

We honeymooned on the Norway!  What a grand Lady she was!  Her demise was so sad.

• Thanks 1

Our first cruise was the maiden voyage of the Sky. We took the cruise because we would be able to take in the last total eclipse of the 20th century. Because the ship was south of England, NCL sprang for a helicopter to find a spot where the fog wasn't. We didn't see the moon approaching the sun, but just as totality began the ship found a clear area and we were able to experience totality for a few minutes. That was our first total eclipse.  Eclipse number 3 will a trip to BIL's in Ohio next April.) 

Not only did NCL spring for a helicopter to spot an opening, but it also paid to have one of the Apollo 11 astronauts onboard. Of course, back then NCL wasn't part of a holding company.

As the Sky was brand new, they were still working on bugs, like delays when flushing the toilet. Of course, freestyle dining did not exist, but we landed up at a table with an NCL rep who gave us lots of great tips. It took us another few years to cruise again, but now that we're semi-retired, we have started to cruise at least annually. Unfortunately for our pocketbook, we've learned about the Haven. Onward to the Prima and its Haven in June. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, EngrJones said:

Standard?  Are you suggesting that nobody books an inside or studio?

One reason I stick with an inside cabin is because it reminds me of the old days.  But today's inside cabins have a private bathroom and that is luxury lol.   Now if there some with bunk beds I'd be really happy!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, NJGeorge said:

Boy it was dark in there!

Some people like dark.  That's why they use sleep masks to achieve that.   On my recent trip I slept much later in the morning  (not late, just later) in my inside cabin. A window or balcony would be nice too.  I really want to try a studio. To me, that seems like luxury

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phillygwm said:

I also think the dress code has gone from one extreme to the other (though not as much in the specialties)

In tourist class in the 1960's we didnt "dress" for dinner. Back then people tended to dress better in general but no formal attire.  I was 16 and remember I wore mostly dresses routinely. (we had to for school)

3 hours ago, phillygwm said:

As you may know, the S.S. United States is docked on the Delaware River waterfront in South Philly and has been for many years.

I know the SS United States has a history and I respect that but compared to passenger ships at the time she was quite plain.  After my trip on the Cunarders at 16 I became a ship "groupie" and visited the different liners when they docked in NYC.   Most were elegant with plenty of brass and red carpets.  I remember when the Hamburg came on the scene- absolutely stunning. And then the QE2, another beauty.  But  the SS United States had linoleum floors and lots of chrome. Of course, that style now is vintage but in the 1960's it was just old. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PATRLR said:

But one thing that I really miss is that cruising used to make you feel like you were "special". Nowadays, not so much.  I do miss that.

That depends on how you live at home.  I find the cabin bathrooms luxurious lol (and I have to say that the Joy had a much nicer bathroom that the QM2)  and anyone who serves me dinner and calls me "madam" makes me feel pretty special  

1 hour ago, EngrJones said:

Standard?  Are you suggesting that nobody books an inside or studio?

Allow me to answer this.  Not at all.  What I am saying is most folks attempt to use the NCL Bid program to upgrade their stateroom from INSIDE to Balcony.  If the space is available, it usually is a total bargain.  Studio's have a different policy because it is usually for solo travelers.  

I in no way am suggesting that an inside cabin is bad.  I have had many over the years.  I am suggesting lots of folks end up with a balcony.  Hope that makes sense and sorry for any misrepresentation. Not my intent.

51 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

But there were the classes. First Class dining room was elegant even on a small ship like the Sylvania (Cunard)

My experience was not seeing any classes on the SS Norway.  Now Cunard or Queen Mary maybe but those were to rich for my bleed at the time.  

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

Now Cunard or Queen Mary maybe but those were to rich for my bleed at the time.  

I dont think they were outrageously expensive. My mother would never have paid anything she considered too "dear"(scottish for expensive)  

• Like 1