I messed up big time

Booked an Oasis cabin forever ago, planning for 3 of us with a possible 4th. Turns out I grabbed a 3 person max cabin. Now that the big sale is over, the same Central Park balcony is $12k for 4 people (!!!!!!!!!???????). 

Definitely not prepared to pay another 7k for my kid to bring a friend. I still don't know for sure she's coming. 

So....what are the odds of having another big sale between now and final payment day? (Sail Aug 4 2023)

If friend is not sure, wondering if i pay more to switch now "in case" she comes, or stay put and wait it out.

I'm so upset with myself.  😪😪😪😪

9 minutes ago, sadiwest said:

Booked an Oasis cabin forever ago, planning for 3 of us with a possible 4th. Turns out I grabbed a 3 person max cabin. Now that the big sale is over, the same Central Park balcony is $12k for 4 people (!!!!!!!!!???????). 

Definitely not prepared to pay another 7k for my kid to bring a friend. I still don't know for sure she's coming. 

So....what are the odds of having another big sale between now and final payment day? (Sail Aug 4 2023)

If friend is not sure, wondering if i pay more to switch now "in case" she comes, or stay put and wait it out.

What specific cabin did you book.  If there are 4 person cabins available to book in the same category perhaps you could switch to that at no charge?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

What specific cabin did you book.  If there are 4 person cabins available to book in the same category perhaps you could switch to that at no charge?

Tried that.   Same category now is a $12k booking, where I've paid in full the under $4k for the 3 of us. 

1 minute ago, sadiwest said:

Thanks but a little upset and looking for insight if anyone knows how their sales go. 

What may be cheaper is to move one adult and the extra passenger into a different cabin and go with two Central Park balconies 

• Like 2

Sorry to hear of the honest oversight. The ‘sale’ that has been offered lately is up to $650 off, kids sails free. Give it a day or two and it will likely be back. That’s the best/most common standad sale I’ve been seeing lately. Reading what Tree skier said, that’s a great idea.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sadiwest said:

Tried that too. 4k. 

Switching to an Oceanview balcony instead of the Central Park balcony seems to be the cheapest option. 

Current pricing...

ScreenShot2023-03-16at11_54_08AM.thumb.png.ab817bf71c940b609c557becac6efb68.png

If you have a C&A balcony discount your price might be a little lower.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SV1432 said:

Is the $4k per cabin when booking 2 balconies? 

Sorry I know I'm throwing out a lot of numbers.

Original category for 4 instead now sells at $12k.  So we'd have to pay $8k more to move to the same category. 

If i book a new cabin for 2, and do 2 and 2, it's about 4 to 6k more than what we've paid. 

1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

Switching to an Oceanview balcony instead of the Central Park balcony seems to be the cheapest option. 

Current pricing...

ScreenShot2023-03-16at11_54_08AM.thumb.png.ab817bf71c940b609c557becac6efb68.png

If you have a C&A balcony discount your price might be a little lower.

Yes that's. Most likely what ill have to do unless her mother tells me now there's no hope she's coming.  Funny thing is that I was price checking and suddenly ocean views are all sold out. 

1 minute ago, Starry Eyes said:

Tell your kid this is a family only vacation as it would cost 4K to add the friend.  (And besides, four in a cabin, including an unrelated child, is pretty tight).  Maybe some other trip.

My daughter has no idea this is happening.  She's turning 13 in two weeks with a Bat Mitzvah the following day. This was her surprise gift. 

• Like 1

Just now, sadiwest said:

Yes that's. Most likely what ill have to do unless her mother tells me now there's no hope she's coming.  Funny thing is that I was price checking and suddenly ocean views are all sold out. 

They are not... I'm looking at them right now.  There are lots of them on decks 6, 7, and 8.  You need to get a commitment from this extra kid's mom pronto though. The longer you wait the more you will pay

• Like 5

Ok, I understand now. Tree Skier beat me to it, but with 4 ‘adults’ for pricing purposes, two cabins is probably the best way to go giving everyone the most room/comfort without breaking the bank. I’m not sure what your original category was. 

Need a commitment to also help get connecting rooms which you might want given their ages. 

Edited by SV1432
  • Like 2

How old are your daughter and her friend?  Is it possible a “kids sail free” sale might happen that would help?  Although I believe it will still be considerably more than what you have already paid.

If I (or my child) had been invited to go on a cruise with a friend and the offer was later withdrawn, I would want to know as early as possible, before I had time to make plans and get excited about it. 

Just now, ZoeyVictoria said:

How old are your daughter and her friend?  Is it possible a “kids sail free” sale might happen that would help?  Although I believe it will still be considerably more than what you have already paid.

If I (or my child) had been invited to go on a cruise with a friend and the offer was later withdrawn, I would want to know as early as possible, before I had time to make plans and get excited about it. 

I just saw the statement about the age of your daughter (typing at the same time).  It sounds like only the girl’s mother knows about the invitation, which would make it easier to withdraw. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, sadiwest said:

Thanks but a little upset and looking for insight if anyone knows how their sales go. 

I was watching this cruise because family members are doing a group cruise on this date. I've been watching since about late January and the price has only gone up. A cruise out of Cape Liberty during summer is going to be popular. Unfortunately, I would not expect any discounts between now and sailing.

Since the mother has been uncommitted until this point, there is no way I would pay that much more 'just in case'.  

Edited by marci22
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, sadiwest said:

My daughter has no idea this is happening.  She's turning 13 in two weeks with a Bat Mitzvah the following day. This was her surprise gift. 

Got it.  Well, taking the friend is oncoming an expensive potential addition to the gift.  You know your daughter and whether this would be money well spent or if there might be a better alternative.

51 minutes ago, sadiwest said:

Booked an Oasis cabin forever ago, planning for 3 of us with a possible 4th. Turns out I grabbed a 3 person max cabin. Now that the big sale is over, the same Central Park balcony is $12k for 4 people (!!!!!!!!!???????) ... 

That's a huge price for a balcony that doesn't face the ocean!  Well, it's a huge price for a balcony that does face the ocean. 

No way would I bring a friend for that price.  That's a semester of college tuition!  

25 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Tell your kid this is a family only vacation as it would cost 4K to add the friend.  (And besides, four in a cabin, including an unrelated child, is pretty tight).  Maybe some other trip.

I was going to bring this up.  I wouldn't enjoy sharing a single small room with an unrelated child.  

2 hours ago, sadiwest said:

A Central Park balcony that holds 3 is the exact same category that holds 4.  That means all you need to do is call Royal and move to a room that will hold 4.  Don't mention anything about number of people just move the room.  Once moved then call back and get a 4th guest added at the same rate you paid for the third guest.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1