LIVE ALASKA NCL BLISS 04-22-2023 to 04-29-2023 Review

graphicguy

11 minutes ago, LauraAnneC said:

I’ve been looking at Caribbean cruises for next year out of San Juan. How was the trip from Dublin? That’s where I’d be flying from too. Would you do it again?

thanks! Laura

I was very glad I’d booked to arrive a couple of days early as there was a big storm across the northern states that caused quite a few flight cancellations the day before and day of embarkation. The roll call was filled with stories of folks driving to the airport that was originally supposed to be their connection hub. That trip was in late February. JFK terminal 5 is vastly improved over the terminal Aer Lingus used to use but the food options are a bit weird, however a lot of the covid restrictions were still in place and on the return there was the usual thing of most things airside in the terminal closing hours before the Dublin flight boards. 
basically the outbound to San Juan is a full day of travel and arriving late evening so make sure your accommodation allows check-in after midnight just in case of delays.  I found a B&B that had key code entry for the gate and front door so self check-in no problem. However the airport taxi stand will only take cash so make sure you’ve dollars with you.

Yes I would do it again, there are more ports that appear on those itineraries and with different amounts of time in port. I’ll be choosing between Hawaiian cruise or southern Caribbean out of San Juan for my next roundy birthday.

Edited by eileeshb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, depplep said:

Uggh, I hate to even think about Ireland to Seattle.

I used to work for an American multi national and my first day of work was flying to San Francisco from Ireland, a full 24hours of travel including a lengthy layover in JFK. I’ve plenty of practise at long haul travel, I don’t sleep on planes so I always get an aisle seat so I can get up  and move around easily. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

I used to work for an American multi national and my first day of work was flying to San Francisco from Ireland, a full 24hours of travel including a lengthy layover in JFK. I’ve plenty of practise at long haul travel, I don’t sleep on planes so I always get an aisle seat so I can get up  and move around easily. 

You are my hero, because I couldn't do it. And JFK, NEVER AGAIN. RUDE!

1 hour ago, AK Dreaming said:

I packed on Sunday.  Woke up this morning realizing everything I forgot.  Plan to repack tonight after work.  Flying out on Friday.

Tomorrow is laundry day.  

Will pack the hoodies, since I don’t need them around here now.  Same for the jeans and khakis!

Thursday is bill paying and house tidying!  Also double checking cables needed, plugs, and “stuff” for the Meet and Greet.  Will download movies on my iPad for the flight.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, depplep said:

You are my hero, because I couldn't do it. And JFK, NEVER AGAIN. RUDE!

It used to be so much worse, I flew through there on my J1 summer in 1994 and a couple of times in the early 00s. Terminal 5 is all shiny and new, and most importantly spacious! The previous time I transited the old terminal was so busy you could barely even get floor space to sit let alone an actual seat. 

15 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

Same for me…large tech firm.  Would be in Boston (actually Marlborough and Acton) one week.  The next I’d be in Silicon Valley.  The next I’d be in Brazil, Manchester, etc.  Those miles rack up fast!

• Like 1

Just now, graphicguy said:

Same for me…large tech firm.  Would be in Boston (actually Marlborough and Acton) one week.  The next I’d be in Silicon Valley.  The next I’d be in Brazil, Manchester, etc.  Those miles rack up fast!

I was basically tech support for our customers, officially Europe, Middle East and Africa but the Brazilians didn’t like the Americans so would call me in Ireland and the Australians didn’t like the Malaysians so called Ireland too despite a 12hr time difference. I had a couple of long haul trips per year for conferences and the like, the worst of the lot was Russia as they kept changing the flight time by 6 hours and of course when they finally locked it in, the office in Moscow had closed for the day so the taxi they’d arranged had the wrong flight arrival time. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MAMA "B" said:

Graphicguy. Could you please let us know when they serve prime rib on your Alaska cruise? We will be on the Bliss on August 19th.

This week’s cruise did prime rib in the buffet on embarkation day according to the dailies posted on Facebook 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eileeshb said:

This week’s cruise did prime rib in the buffet on embarkation day according to the dailies posted on Facebook 

It was.  The beef was forgettable.  Unlike the fillet in Ocean Blue on Monday. That was delicious. I asked the server before ordering.  Always a good plan with NCL steaks.  

bonus content:  with the cancellation of Pricilla, Six is now the official @ChiefMateJRKworst NCL show. 😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, IdRathrBCruzn said:

When and where is the meet and greet? I lost track of the sign up.

Heading to Seattle tomorrow. Can't wait to board the Bliss on Saturday!

Hi…..the Meet and Greet info is here, in the Roll Call section for the NCL Bliss.   Looks like we’ll have a nice turn out!

-Demaris

-Sandy, Art (gotchya covered on the correction)

-Scatterbrain (Daniel)

-Malia and Brian
-Stan and Elizabeth

-Mary and Jeff

-Victoria and Owen

-Sarah, Marcia, and Bobbie

-Donna Robinson Ala

-Owen Byrne plus one other

-Beth

-Kathy

-Sandra

-Debbie and Bob

-Edie and Don

-Dawn and Martin

-Stan and Elizabeth

-Frank and Roseann (DaDead)

-Kristen and Daniel

-AKDreaming (Tina, Jean, Becky)

-graphicguy (Dan)

Just to remind everyone where and when…

MEET AND GREET

Date:  SUNDAY-APRIL 23

Time:  10:30 A.M.-11:30 A.M.

Place:  THE DISTRICT BREWHOUSE

BTW…there is no monetary amount that’s required for the gift exchange.  

• Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 11:22 AM, ChiefMateJRK said:

It was.  The beef was forgettable.  Unlike the fillet in Ocean Blue on Monday. That was delicious. I asked the server before ordering.  Always a good plan with NCL steaks.  

bonus content:  with the cancellation of Pricilla, Six is now the official @ChiefMateJRKworst NCL show. 😎

Hard disagree. SIX is a great show. I can get if you’re not a fan of pop music, though. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 12:55 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

I’ve been making a meaningful dent in the Guinness and Bulleit stock, but will try to leave some for you.

How is the champagne holding up? I upgraded for the Veuve but have read they have had runs on the ‘good’ stuff. 

I am a single malt* and champs enjoyer usually at home .. however, if I see Blanton's that will be my call. It’s still so hard to find in Seattle. Slowly coming back, trying to gather horses for my boozy Xmas tree. 

*do they have any hidden rare, single malt,  secrets not listed? I can’t exited about macallan or Johnny walker -any label. 🫣🥱

(Trying here and posted in the roll call) Does anyone following have any information about the winemakers event happening on this sailing? Is this the ‘secret’ charter group or possibly an open event that last minute people can attend? 

D8175E41-CA84-4302-A916-474B7DDF3101.jpeg