LIVE ALASKA NCL BLISS 04-22-2023 to 04-29-2023 Review

graphicguy

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from graphicguy! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

graphicguy was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Wellllllllll...we're about a month of this sailing out of Seattle.  It's going to Skagway, Juneau, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan and Victoria B.C.  Am in a Club Balcony and as been my recent cruise experience, I'm solo.

Kind of quiet Meet and Greet, but I've organized it. Go to the end of the thread if you're on this sailing and sign up so I can give NCL a more accurate count.  They usually proved some snacks and drinks.

The particulars......Seems any cruise I've taken since the restart (hard to believe, but I've sailed 5X since then) has been last minute bookings.  Have done this itinerary before and probably ranks as one of my top 2 or 3 (Bermuda and Mediteranean being the others).  What got me to look at this cruise was a targeted promo NCL was offering.  It's still not clear to me who they were targeting or why.  Just that some of us here at CC received coupons.  In particular, 20% off the cruise fare on Alaska itineraries.  It went as high as 50% off the cruise fare, but that is for sailings on the older ships.  Plus, I've never been on the Bliss before.  

While many look for deals on fares only, I look for the high value cruises.  That is, I don't worry about what the DSC is, what the tips will be, etc.  I look at the total cost of what's coming out of my pocket.  That includes the fare, the tips, the perks, the service charges, etc.  Individually, all those charges may be higher or lower than any other cruise line's similar charges.  But, the only thing that really matters is what my total out of pocket is by the end of the cruise.

So, let's take a look....the pricing is a little wonky.   Not sure how it happened the way it happened, but I'm not complaining.

FARE=$2,822

(DISC)=-$1,064

TOTAL=$1,758

Let's stop right there for a moment.  For those of you more astute mathematicians out there, 20% off is $564, amiright?  My discount was $500 more than that, or the $1,064.  How?  Why?  I dunno.  But, in fairness (and a genuine desire not to be surprised with an NCL email stating "whoops, we made a mistake, here's the correct fare"), I contacted NCL and told them of the error.  They admitted to it, but also said they could not change it as it was already booked.  Alrighty, then!

IF you've followed any of the threads here at CC about the Alaska discounts, you'll note it's a weird deal.  Those of us Latitude members have had a 10% discount showing on the Encore to the Caribbean.  Nothing to get excited about.  But, the Alaska one, was a good and real discount.  Apparently, it was also one that caused NCL agents fits, as it was relayed to me. Good idea, just poorly implemented. 

Not one who is a Cracker Jack decoder of NCL's discount jargon, but for those of you who know this stuff, here they are as they appear on my invoice.  

ALL4CHO

DISC50

EASYFARE

LATDBLX

LATREW

SHX50

I think what some of this means is I have the drink package, the SDP (2 of them).

Let's add those in...

FARE=$1,758

BEV SRV CHARGE=$153

DIN SRV CHARGE=$18

TAX AND PORT FEES=$325

TOTAL=$2,253

NCL, out of their infinite generosity is giving me $75 OBC.  AMEX Platinum is giving me $200 OBC.

My TA would have probably kicked in at least $50 OBC on this one, but she went on to other, greener pastures to work.  Not sure where, she just sent me an email saying "au revoir" (actually, not that term).  Tried to hook up with someone else at her agency, but apparently, they are in flux.

So, booked this directly through NCL.  I then transferred it to one of those YouTube travel vloggers/Travel Agents.  So far it's going well.

We'll continue this as things come up.  

The goal is to do this live from the time I leave my house to the time I walk off at disembarkation, chronicling everything in between (WiFi willing).

• Like 10

Great information Graphicguy!

Thank you for sharing it. I took advantage of the NCL Latitudes 20% off deal too and I booked it straight through NCL, since I was booking it so close to sailing. Got my helicopter tour booked for Juneau already. This is our 1st time sailing to Alaska. Does anybody have a suggestion on a few "must-see" things for the Skagway or Ketchikan ports? 

• Like 1

We get on the Bliss as you are getting off. This will be our 4th Alaska cruise. Three on the Bliss and one on the Encore. I personally like the Bliss better but both are nearly identical. I will be curious how full the cruise is and who is entertaining in the various bars. Our last trip (Sept 2022) was great overall but the Beatles group had a brand new George who was pretty lacking. We saw the show in the theater but skipped going to the ones in the Cavern Club. Hopefully they will be better on your (and my) cruise. Thank you in advance for doing this review.

• Like 2

Make sure you read up about Skagway and the results from last years rock slid. I think that RRA last year was a tender. Not sure about this year. Then Juneau has just limited visits to 5 ships per day. Several ships may be shuffling ports. 

sightcrr

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SightCRR said:

Make sure you read up about Skagway and the results from last years rock slid. I think that RRA last year was a tender. Not sure about this year. Then Juneau has just limited visits to 5 ships per day. Several ships may be shuffling ports. 

sightcrr

I had heard about the rock slide.  Also heard everything was back to normal.  Can’t remember the source of the reports.  So, who knows?

Always enjoy your reviews, especially as another solo cruiser, and Bliss is my favorite ship in the fleet (3 times so far).  I always say if Bliss had Onda on board, it would be the perfect ship. I have become a very last minute booker (last month it was the Joy at 21 days out...booked and checked in the same day). Will be checking back in 30 days from now (or maybe a few earlier to check your pre-cruise posts). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

Always enjoy your reviews, especially as another solo cruiser, and Bliss is my favorite ship in the fleet (3 times so far).  I always say if Bliss had Onda on board, it would be the perfect ship. I have become a very last minute booker (last month it was the Joy at 21 days out...booked and checked in the same day). Will be checking back in 30 days from now (or maybe a few earlier to check your pre-cruise posts). 

Thank you!

19 hours ago, mmcm1886 said:

Great information Graphicguy!

Thank you for sharing it. I took advantage of the NCL Latitudes 20% off deal too and I booked it straight through NCL, since I was booking it so close to sailing. Got my helicopter tour booked for Juneau already. This is our 1st time sailing to Alaska. Does anybody have a suggestion on a few "must-see" things for the Skagway or Ketchikan ports? 

Skagway….even if you just roam around the town (which is touristy), it sits with a backdrop of a mountain so close it looks like you can touch it.

The White Pass and Yukon Train excursion is worthwhile, too.

Ketchikan has the lumberjack shows, which is kind of kitschy.  But, if you like that sort of thing, it’s available.  I did enjoy the Crab Fisherman’s excursion.

• Like 3

Just going over the perks….

Took Free at Sea.  By now, everyone knows what that is…

-Drink package

-2 Specialty Dining credits

-$50/cabin shore excursion credit

-a little WiFi

You pay for tips for the drink package and the dining package.  Get this out of the way up front.  Drink Package tips are $153.  I know for a fact, without the drink package I would probably spend that amount after day 2 of the cruise.  So, well worth it for me.

$18 SDP tip?  Two really good dinners for $18?  Absolutely!  Sign me up.  This is particularly true given the Bliss has two of my favorite SDP venues…..Food Republic and Los Lobos.

Given I’m Sapphire Latitudes, I get two more SDs, which means I’ll probably hit up Teppanyaki and Ocean Blu, too.  

I’m an outlier.  But, as much as people have praised LeBistro, I’ve never had a meal worth my while.  The last time I dined there I had Lobster Thermidor.  The Lobster was tough.  The sauce was pretty gross looking and tasting.  Had Coq Au Vin one other time.  It was so salty, I could not eat it.  Both times the restaurant manager said they’d credit the meal.  Problem was, it was “free” and they credited nothing.  They didn’t even put the dining credit back in my account (believe me, I tried to get them to do just that).

Cagney’s has always serviced me well prepared steaks and sides with great service.  I know some have had issues with the venue.  But, no complaints on my end.

Food Republic has such a wide variety of thing I like, I’ve never had even a mediocre meal there.

To me, Ocean Blu is the best restaurant on ANY NCL ship.

I get a “bag” of free laundry for being in a Club Balcony, and another free bag because I’m Sapphire.  That means, I pack light and get laundry done as needed.  Given this is an Alaska itinerary, my clothes will be more sweatshirts and Khakis, which are bulkier, than the usual Caribbean outfits of light weight Hawaiian Shirts and shorts.  Will need that extra laundry perk.  Plus, they always do a great job with my laundry.

• Like 5

Did you add any time to your cruise to see Seattle?  If you do, I could make some suggestions for you.

There should be a Port Valet program again this year-- your bags are collected on the ship, send directly to the airport, to your particular airline and see see them again at your home airport.  You will be given information and instructions for the Program during your cruise.  This is a Port of Seattle program not a program of Norwegian.  The program is free to use.

Enjoy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

LATDBLX  = double cruise credits. 

LATREW = you are getting the Latitudes on board discounts for the level you are

Enjoy!

CC mods/admin have made it easier by designating the NCL decoding a sticky, just look it up on the top of page 1 here with the NCL forum, it's right there for all the previous & currently "known" codes - 

Going to fix this for GC ... goin' to be a happy guy b/c

LATDBLX

2 extra Latitude points per night.  That shall be 3 points

per night for this particular cruise.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Did you add any time to your cruise to see Seattle?  If you do, I could make some suggestions for you.

There should be a Port Valet program again this year-- your bags are collected on the ship, send directly to the airport, to your particular airline and see see them again at your home airport.  You will be given information and instructions for the Program during your cruise.  This is a Port of Seattle program not a program of Norwegian.  The program is free to use.

Enjoy

I’ve actually used that program.  It’s great.  Thanks for the reminder.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AK Dreaming said:

I'm on this cruise too!  Heard our whole Haven is booked by a charter, but we don't know who.

I had heard that.  I put in a “POOR” bid, anyway.  Who knows, maybe someone in the charter group doesn’t show up on the day of the cruise and they pick my name out of a hat without tossing it back. 😉

Trying to decide whether it's worth it to book the VIBE given it's Alaska, in April.  Rainy?  Cold?  I sure would like the views from there, however.  Ping-Ponging back and forth on this.

On the one hand, I'm wondering if the cruise is going to be crowded given the lack of much activity on the Roll Call.  But, if it is sold out, I would appreciate being in the VIBE, but only if I can use it given the weather.

I will be on this cruise with a small group of friends.  I just signed up for the meet and greet.  It's my 5th Alaska cruise but everybody elses 1st.  I get to be the guide, "we're walking...we're walking!"   I have been packing for weeks now and have the days numbered on my calendar.  See you there!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Trying to decide whether it's worth it to book the VIBE given it's Alaska, in April.  Rainy?  Cold?  I sure would like the views from there, however.  Ping-Ponging back and forth on this.

On the one hand, I'm wondering if the cruise is going to be crowded given the lack of much activity on the Roll Call.  But, if it is sold out, I would appreciate being in the VIBE, but only if I can use it given the weather.

This early in the Season, I would not waste the money on the VIBE.  Use that money for the train ride to Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada.  If the train is running, this early in the Season that would be a gorgeous trip-- cold but gorgeous.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

This early in the Season, I would not waste the money on the VIBE.  Use that money for the train ride to Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada.  If the train is running, this early in the Season that would be a gorgeous trip-- cold but gorgeous.

Great advice!  Good suggestions.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Just check the Port of Seattle 2023 Cruise Ship Schedule, when you board you will be the ONLY cruise going out that day.  Coming back in, HAL Eurodam will also be dismebarking passengers.  SEATAC (the airport) will be crowded but not nearly as bad as a couple weeks later when the Season really fires up.

If you have not cruised out of Seattle before, be sure to be outside as you leave Pier 66.  You should be able to see the Seattle Space Needle built for the 1962 Worlds Fair and is still in use today.  There is an Observation Floor near the top of the Needle-- the elevator going up the outside is glass enclosed.  On a clear day you can see for ever.  To the South of Pier 66 is the Washington State Ferry Terminal and South of that hopefully you will be able to see Mount Rainier which is a do dormant volcano.

Enjoy

• Like 6