LIVE ALASKA NCL BLISS 04-22-2023 to 04-29-2023 Review

graphicguy

Going to be following - perhaps, Starlink will be up & running on the Bliss by then.  I might have issues on my end as not optimistic about getting a better connection at sea, except and until later in the month roaming.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Trying to decide whether it's worth it to book the VIBE given it's Alaska, in April.  Rainy?  Cold?  I sure would like the views from there, however.  Ping-Ponging back and forth on this.

On the one hand, I'm wondering if the cruise is going to be crowded given the lack of much activity on the Roll Call.  But, if it is sold out, I would appreciate being in the VIBE, but only if I can use it given the weather.

I would skip the Vibe for the thermal spa. I spent a wonderful afternoon as the only person there on a port day (after going out for a short stroll on a drizzly day in Ketchikan). Weather is just too unpredictable in Alaska.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Going to be following - perhaps, Starlink will be up & running on the Bliss by then.  I might have issues on my end as not optimistic about getting a better connection at sea, except and until later in the month roaming.  

Henry....one can only hope!  Every time I hear of some new WiFi/Internet play on cruise ships, I'm invariably disappointed in the actual results.  But, maybe...just maybe...this time.......

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

I would skip the Vibe for the thermal spa. I spent a wonderful afternoon as the only person there on a port day (after going out for a short stroll on a drizzly day in Ketchikan). Weather is just too unpredictable in Alaska.

That's a really good idea.  Thanks!!!!!!

21 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Are 🐀🐀allowed at your meet and greet?

(asking for a friend)

That may have been a somewhat serious question.

FYI: show bookings (SIX and Jersey Boys) are now available on NCL.com for the April 15 sailing, so they should be for this sailing very soon.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

That may have been a somewhat serious question.

FYI: show bookings (SIX and Jersey Boys) are now available on NCL.com for the April 15 sailing, so they should be for this sailing very soon.

Anyone who wants to attend can attend.  Would like to have everyone signed up at the same place so I don't have to go to several threads (or FaceBook) looking for attendees.  I'm just trying to get a relatively accurate count, as I know NCL likes to have officers there, some wait staff passing out beers and snacks.  

Am just starting to look at booking activities.  Gonna pass on Vibe.  Drink package looks like a pass.  Internet upgrade looks like a "go" if I'm going to be posting live.  Thermal Spa looks like a "go".

I’m sailing on Bliss for Alaska in October so following with interest as I suspect the weather will probably be similar. 
I’ll be opting for the thermal spa pass rather than vibe for that sailing and I’m bringing a novice cruiser along who had originally planned an Alaska cruise for her honeymoon but the relationship broke up so instead she’s celebrating a roundy birthday. 

If you’re going along to any of the solo meet-ups please share their general plan for the week if it’s more than just the evening meet-up and dinner in one of the MDRs. 

• Like 1

Another request, can you post about what happens at Skagway? I see for your sailing bliss will be the only ship in port and it’s listed for RRA pier, last year I believe the ships that docked there after the rockfall had to send passengers to shore via tender rather than gangway. Bliss is also scheduled similarly for my sailing in October. 

• Like 2

Will be on the Bliss to Alaska a couple of weeks after you (3rd time to Alaska, 2nd time on the Bliss). Our itinerary substitutes Sitka for Skagway & I'm excited that we've booked the "Alaska Bears and Silver Bay Homestead Experience" for that port. I'd love to hear about the weather during your cruise and how full the ship is. Thank you so much for sharing your adventure with us!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, eileeshb said:

Another request, can you post about what happens at Skagway? I see for your sailing bliss will be the only ship in port and it’s listed for RRA pier, last year I believe the ships that docked there after the rockfall had to send passengers to shore via tender rather than gangway. Bliss is also scheduled similarly for my sailing in October. 

The plan is to do a live review.  So, I’ll be posting pictures of the activities I undertake throughout the cruise.  Plus, I’ll be giving my impressions as I go. (Fingers crossed).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I am still jealous about your impressive Alaska discount and continue to hope that my threat to never sail on NCL ever again might elicit some attention or sympathy from the NCL gods. While my NCL cupboards remain empty, I shall journey vicariously through you on your Alaskan voyage. Mush!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

I am still jealous about your impressive Alaska discount and continue to hope that my threat to never sail on NCL ever again might elicit some attention or sympathy from the NCL gods. While my NCL cupboards remain empty, I shall journey vicariously through you on your Alaskan voyage. Mush!

5ADB7889-0467-4BAA-9F86-2C33E9D98EC6.jpeg

• Haha 4

Not sure what the status of Skagway is with the rock slide.  But, someone mentioned the narrow rail train tour.  I know NCL offers its $50/excursion credit.  But, you might want to see if you can get a ticket at the pier.  Even with the NCL credit, it’s still about 2X more than buying a ticket at the kiosk at the station.

Again, not sure how that’s working out with the rock slide and if there’s even a kiosk still there.  But, if the train is running, worth it to save a bit of money by buying your ticket there.

Following along for the ride. Crazy how those coupons were distributed among the masses, even crazier that it was an actual sale. After two subpar cruises ( GA and BA ) this past January we have dialed back to yesteryear and are sailing on the Sun in May, hope it doesn't turn into a HAL cruise.  Looking forward to all your information, comments, and photos.

DW also got the same coupons which are burning a hole in my pocket, still have 20 days to find something.

Jim 

Edited by JIMESOPUS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JIMESOPUS said:

Following along for the ride. Crazy how those coupons were distributed among the masses, even crazier that it was an actual sale. After two subpar cruises ( GA and BA ) this past January we have dialed back to yesteryear and are sailing on the Sun in May, hope it doesn't turn into a HAL cruise.  Looking forward to all your information, comments, and photos.

DW also got the same coupons which are burning a hole in my pocket, still have 20 days to find something.

Jim 

Yeah...the Alaska coupons were sort of a "cluster".  Even the PCC I booked it said it created chaos.  The only thing I could tell was it was distributed to some Latitudes members who didn't have an Alaska cruise booked.  But, I also heard that there were at least a few Latitudes members who didn't get the coupons and didn't have an Alaska cruise booked.  

Promo is good.  Implementation of it, not so much.  I still can't figure out how they came up with my fare. Not complaining, though.  I tried to alert them.  So, I did my part.

I've never sailed the Bliss. I chose that ship as a result.  Although, the 50% off fares on the smaller ships were mighty tempting.  The Observation Lounge kind of tipped it for me.  That's a great space for an Alaska cruise.

• Like 2

On 3/23/2023 at 2:06 PM, VUCruiser said:

On the Bliss the week before-we’ll get the ship warmed up for you! 😊

Will you post pictures of the Dailies.  I know they are very different in Alaska.  I'd like to plan my dinner reservations.  TIA

6 hours ago, Cruisercl said:

@graphicguy following along, new to your reviews.

Was on the Bliss last August in Alaska, it was great!

Bliss is my favorite NCL ship so it will be good to re-live the cruise.

Agree, too cold for the Vibe; had a pass and could hardly use it.😊

Thanks!  Forgoing the Vibe.  Appreciate the insight.

Excited about sailing the Bliss.  Had sailed to Alaska for the first time right after the start up.  It was like trying to drink from a fire hose.  So much to see and do.  I literally didn’t know where to start.  

This time I’ll have a little more of an understanding and will be able to focus on what I really want to do and see with that knowledge.

Thanks for following along.

• Like 2

Check in today.

-Pic taken and posted

-Passport checked for expiration date (all good) and logged

-Credit Card (and a back up put in my travel pouch) listed on the check in page

-Travel insurance Card printed and laminated

-Checked for Meet and Greet participants....it's going to be a sizable group and should be fun (still have time to sign up)

-Reservation for both cruise and flight printed in addition to having the NCL and Delta app updated for redundancy

3 Weeks away from boarding.  Time to keep an eye open for weather forecasts (which I'm sure will change in the next 3 weeks).  I'm thinking between 30º-50º in about 3 weeks.

Preliminary packing...

-3 pair of khakis

-3 Hoodies

-1 raincoat

-Boxers

-Socks

-1 pr tennis/hiking shoes

-1 pr of Crocs (to walk around the ship)

-Toiletries (on board soap and shampoo work fine for me), electric razor, meds (including hydration packets and Starbucks Instant Coffee Packets)

Given I have 2 coupons for free laundry (one for staying in a Club Balcony the other for being Sapphire Latitudes) I should have clean clothes the entire cruise.

Not thinking I'll make Specialty Dining Reservations until later.  Still perusing the Excursions.

Packing one Backpack and one Rollaboard.  Checking NO luggage.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Check in today.

-Pic taken and posted

-Passport checked for expiration date (all good) and logged

-Credit Card (and a back up put in my travel pouch) listed on the check in page

-Travel insurance Card printed and laminated

-Checked for Meet and Greet participants....it's going to be a sizable group and should be fun (still have time to sign up)

-Reservation for both cruise and flight printed in addition to having the NCL and Delta app updated for redundancy

3 Weeks away from boarding.  Time to keep an eye open for weather forecasts (which I'm sure will change in the next 3 weeks).  I'm thinking between 30º-50º in about 3 weeks.

Preliminary packing...

-3 pair of khakis

-3 Hoodies

-1 raincoat

-Boxers

-Socks

-1 pr tennis/hiking shoes

-1 pr of Crocs (to walk around the ship)

-Toiletries (on board soap and shampoo work fine for me), electric razor, meds (including hydration packets and Starbucks Instant Coffee Packets)

Given I have 2 coupons for free laundry (one for staying in a Club Balcony the other for being Sapphire Latitudes) I should have clean clothes the entire cruise.

Not thinking I'll make Specialty Dining Reservations until later.  Still perusing the Excursions.

Packing one Backpack and one Rollaboard.  Checking NO luggage.

No fan?

• Haha 8