LIVE ALASKA NCL BLISS 04-22-2023 to 04-29-2023 Review

graphicguy

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Check in today.

-Pic taken and posted

-Passport checked for expiration date (all good) and logged

-Credit Card (and a back up put in my travel pouch) listed on the check in page

-Travel insurance Card printed and laminated

-Checked for Meet and Greet participants....it's going to be a sizable group and should be fun (still have time to sign up)

-Reservation for both cruise and flight printed in addition to having the NCL and Delta app updated for redundancy

3 Weeks away from boarding.  Time to keep an eye open for weather forecasts (which I'm sure will change in the next 3 weeks).  I'm thinking between 30º-50º in about 3 weeks.

Preliminary packing...

-3 pair of khakis

-3 Hoodies

-1 raincoat

-Boxers

-Socks

-1 pr tennis/hiking shoes

-1 pr of Crocs (to walk around the ship)

-Toiletries (on board soap and shampoo work fine for me), electric razor, meds (including hydration packets and Starbucks Instant Coffee Packets)

Given I have 2 coupons for free laundry (one for staying in a Club Balcony the other for being Sapphire Latitudes) I should have clean clothes the entire cruise.

Not thinking I'll make Specialty Dining Reservations until later.  Still perusing the Excursions.

Packing one Backpack and one Rollaboard.  Checking NO luggage.

Wish I could pack that lightly but my carry-on will be fully loaded with camera kit for Alaska so checked bag will be a necessity. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

No slippers?

2 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

No fan?

Y’all are a hoot!  🙂

I’m still trying to ween myself off my old beat up back pack for a new one that’s been sitting in the bullpen for the last year!

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

Wish I could pack that lightly but my carry-on will be fully loaded with camera kit for Alaska so checked bag will be a necessity. 

Used to haul my GoPro, my Digi Nikon, and associated lenses, batteries and tripods.  IPhone has become so good, it’s my sole source for vids and pics.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

3 pair of khakis

-3 Hoodies

-1 raincoat

-Boxers

-Socksp

No shirts??  Not even a t-shirt??

I admire those that can pack lightly. I am a notorious over packer but am trying to reform. I took one carryon roller bag and a tote bag on my 5 day Joy cruise and survived but it wasn't easy. And yes, I admit to being high maintenance...once I get on board and unpack, I hate everything I brought, LOL. I also know that no one else will notice or care what I am wearing but I dress for me and no one else. 

Looking forward to your adventures.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Used to haul my GoPro, my Digi Nikon, and associated lenses, batteries and tripods.  IPhone has become so good, it’s my sole source for vids and pics.

I’m hoping to get some wildlife pics and the zoom on a phone is never going to match the reach of a telephoto lens. I don’t usually bring the high end kit with me on vacation but for Alaska I’m hoping it will be worth the effort. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Haha, I am switching from my SS Galaxy S22Plus to Pixel 7 Pro, IP68 rated and looking forward to fully using its Magic Eraser & Live Translate (as we'll probably find it handy on our next adventure, soon ... also completed OLCI and eDocs ready.)  

Compared pictures we took from this January's cruise using 2 G22+ vs. Google Pixel 7 Pro, liking 7 Pro's 3rd tele-lens - but, tossed the Samsung in the backpack as a backup with an eSim enabled, just in case.  Net cost to trade up the G22+ 128M storage to S23+ 256M, $60 via Google Fi plus taxes ... should I or wait, very tempting, LOL.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Y’all are a hoot!  🙂

You thought I was kidding?  I may soon have the opportunity to prove to you that I wear slippers on a cruise ship.  Just sayin'...

Reminds me of a breakfast in the buffet on an AK cruise a few years ago.  I was still struggling to wake up and get the first Bloody Mary going, when I was stopped dead in my tracks by the fanciest slippers I have ever seen.  Some lady had a pair of those big fluffy bear/beast slippers with big paws/claws sticking out the front.  I couldn't help but raise my voice and proclaim NICE SLIPPERS!!  She was flattered/complimented but I'm guessing I may have ruined breakfast for the non-slipper crowd.   Stick with the Chief GG, we'll get you there.😎🐀

• Haha 6

58 minutes ago, wacruiselover said:

We're on the sailing that leaves the 29th so I don't get to check in until next week. Curious as to when Six and Jersey Boys are scheduled - days and times. Looking forward to your live posts!

4/22 sailing:
Six: Sunday and Tuesday at 7:00 and 9:30.

Jersey Boys: Wed and Thur at 6:30 and 9:30

• Like 2

Eagerly following...

On the Encore Alaska itinerary in September - not exactly the same ports, but this will whet our whistle. Booked Alaska over a year and a half ago and cannot wait to go. Will look forward to living vicariously through your trip and thank you in advance for posting.

Warmest, Amy

• Like 2

17 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

No shirts??  Not even a t-shirt??

I admire those that can pack lightly. I am a notorious over packer but am trying to reform. I took one carryon roller bag and a tote bag on my 5 day Joy cruise and survived but it wasn't easy. And yes, I admit to being high maintenance...once I get on board and unpack, I hate everything I brought, LOL. I also know that no one else will notice or care what I am wearing but I dress for me and no one else. 

Looking forward to your adventures.

Have never been a T-Shirt kid of guy since I don’t wear suits anymore.  I have them (maybe 3 of them).  And, if I’m at a function where I need to wear a dress shirt, I’ll don one.   But, that’s very rare.

Depending on what the weather looks like a few days before departure, I may pack a long sleeve ribbed shirt.  But, that’s as close as I come.

Some of my hoodies are light weight.  Some are heavier.  NCL tends to keep their ships on the cool side.  Plus, I’m usually inside and outside a lot, either on the balcony or the Waterfront.  So, I don’t mind having a hoodie on all the time.

My packing list comes as a result of experience over many cruises to both warm and cold climes.  I make mental notes every time I return from a cruise as to what I did or did not use.  Having laundry done on board helps to keep packing to a minimum, too.

I find it’s much easier on me to only have a roll aboard and back pack.  I wear what I bring.  Am comfortable.  May not be the most stylish guy on the ship.  Then again, I’m not trying to impress anyone, either.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, eileeshb said:

I’m hoping to get some wildlife pics and the zoom on a phone is never going to match the reach of a telephoto lens. I don’t usually bring the high end kit with me on vacation but for Alaska I’m hoping it will be worth the effort. 

I get it.  I’m sure you’ll get better shots than I will.

Side story, when cruising started back up from the shutdown, I booked a really good rate on an Alaska itinerary on the Encore.  I took one of the wale watching excursions.  There was a guy who had all his equipment with him on the tour.  I had my (then) iPhone 13.  Aside from this guy being kind of a pain because he elbowed his way in front of the rest of us swinging his lenes he had over his shoulders around in the process.  

I’m on vacation, so I let this guy “do his thing” because there were so many wales on this excursion, if he was on the right looking for wales, there would inevitably be wale sightings on the left, where we were.  And, he couldn’t get into the front because we would stand up to take pics in front of him.

Anyway, as we were headed back to the pier after the excursion, we were sharing the pics we shot.  I’m sure if pice were printed, his probably would look better.  But in reality, I save all my pics on a digital frame.  And, they looked great.

Again, I understand those of you who are photographers as a hobby (or even pros).  You got the nice gear.  So, use it.

15 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

You thought I was kidding?  I may soon have the opportunity to prove to you that I wear slippers on a cruise ship.  Just sayin'...

Reminds me of a breakfast in the buffet on an AK cruise a few years ago.  I was still struggling to wake up and get the first Bloody Mary going, when I was stopped dead in my tracks by the fanciest slippers I have ever seen.  Some lady had a pair of those big fluffy bear/beast slippers with big paws/claws sticking out the front.  I couldn't help but raise my voice and proclaim NICE SLIPPERS!!  She was flattered/complimented but I'm guessing I may have ruined breakfast for the non-slipper crowd.   Stick with the Chief GG, we'll get you there.😎🐀

Hey…..go for it.  LOL!  I am by far the least fashion forward guy you’ll ever meet.

16 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Haha, I am switching from my SS Galaxy S22Plus to Pixel 7 Pro, IP68 rated and looking forward to fully using its Magic Eraser & Live Translate (as we'll probably find it handy on our next adventure, soon ... also completed OLCI and eDocs ready.)  

Compared pictures we took from this January's cruise using 2 G22+ vs. Google Pixel 7 Pro, liking 7 Pro's 3rd tele-lens - but, tossed the Samsung in the backpack as a backup with an eSim enabled, just in case.  Net cost to trade up the G22+ 128M storage to S23+ 256M, $60 via Google Fi plus taxes ... should I or wait, very tempting, LOL.  

Phone cameras have become so good, I quit bringing separate camera set ups, including action cams.

Sold my GoPro on “FleaBay” a little while ago.  Actually, it was bought by one of the crew on a Carnival ship, as that was the shipping address.  Got a very nice note from the guy who bought it.

Personally, I’m in the Apple ecosystem (iMac, iPad, iPhone, Apple Watch).  As such, I use my iPhone a lot.

Had some issues on my iPhone 13 when it was under warranty.  At the time, there were some stock constraints on the 13.  They were going to send the 13 somewhere for repair.  I explained to them that was the only phone I had.  Apple Store just replaced the 13 with the 14, no charge.  Apple does good customer service.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Phone cameras have become so good, I quit bringing separate camera set ups, including action cams.

Sold my GoPro on “FleaBay” a little while ago.  Actually, it was bought by one of the crew on a Carnival ship, as that was the shipping address.  Got a very nice note from the guy who bought it.

Personally, I’m in the Apple ecosystem (iMac, iPad, iPhone, Apple Watch).  As such, I use my iPhone a lot.

Had some issues on my iPhone 13 when it was under warranty.  At the time, there were some stock constraints on the 13.  They were going to send the 13 somewhere for repair.  I explained to them that was the only phone I had.  Apple Store just replaced the 13 with the 14, no charge.  Apple does good customer service.

Never have been an " apple " person, I have been a Samsung disciple for a while, but either way, unless you can get a great deal they are getting expensive. Thinking about hitting the reset button and going out and trying something new, the same as the phone plan. Need something to work in Europe as that's where we are heading this fall aboard the Star and Viva.   

• Like 1

@graphicguy Customer care, support & after-sales service - I agree - is excellent - I'm on both and hasn't travel without an iPhone (SE 2020 with integrated battery case for multi-day standby & as MiFi hotspot, using Google Fi's data only nano sim - chipset plentiful fast for my needs)  Just heard from our friends that boarded the Norwegian Sun a short while ago in Lisbon, Spain on a 16 nights TA, their Air Tags saved them as LH lost both of their (JFK) checked bags in FRT 2 days ago during their 2+ hour layover, fumbled with the courier failing to delivered last night, and had to Uber to the airport spending 3 hours retrieving the bag.  As my nephews joked often, things happened and it wasn't Delta this time, United has routed our bags to IAD when it was supposed to go LGA-ORD-YVR & luckily, we flew in early too ... 

Samsung is pretty good with their warranty & extended sales support, they replaced the OEM battery at no extra charge when another friend's just out-of-warranty Galaxy S22 Mo.Board failed & had to pay $199 + tax, not bad as the entire device received a 12 month full warranty extension afterward.  Yeah, these flagship adult toys are getting too pricey & out of hand, timed our trade-in during the early Black Friday sales on Google and Fi Store so it wasn't bad as I won't paid full MSRP for them.  Hate the SS bloatware so I'm on pure Android 13 by Google, waiting for "14" to roll out this Fall - 5 years of OS and security upgrade/patches ... if the OEM battery holds up.  iOS updates got my head spinning this winter ... 

Hey, it's 20 Days To Go ... will we be chatting via Starlink on both ends later this month ??  One can dream b/c the folks on Prima reported this week that it's still awful.  Just reset my monthly Google Fi data metering, on the Unlimited Plus global package with tethering/hotspot & up to 4 data only sim with no extra charges - saved us from being entirely offline twice in the last 2 months when squirrel(s) chewed our FiOS feeder cable in the basement crawl space and Verizon truck rolled again to restore.  

@JIMESOPUS - seeing Jim chimed in ... have you look into Google Fi (T-Mobile being their backbone) for travel & "home" base as I think their towers & signal should be as good as VZW up & down the Hudson River and nearby.  We could do T-Mo's senior plan for 2 lines for less but not the flexibility & global coverage when traveling abroad.  Maybe do a trial & time it when sailing the Star and/or Viva, stay tune as I will probably, hopefully "report" semi-live from Portugal & Spain, et. al. soon enough.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Can you take a few pictures of the landslide area at the dock and post them?

Curious what it looks like, and what they have done there.

Any opinions of the bus or tender process is good too.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Can you take a few pictures of the landslide area at the dock and post them?

Curious what it looks like, and what they have done there.

Any opinions of the bus or tender process is good too.

Thanks

If I remember, of course!

They used to dock near the area.  Not sure they still are.  I don’t know how close we’ll be to that area!

Edited by graphicguy

4 hours ago, JIMESOPUS said:

Never have been an " apple " person, I have been a Samsung disciple for a while, but either way, unless you can get a great deal they are getting expensive. Thinking about hitting the reset button and going out and trying something new, the same as the phone plan. Need something to work in Europe as that's where we are heading this fall aboard the Star and Viva.   

My current iPhone is the exception.  Ordinarily I get previous iPhone gens from Apple’s refurb site.

But agree, they can get pricey if you don’t have a trade in.  Trade values on iPhones is quite good!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I get it.  I’m sure you’ll get better shots than I will.

Side story, when cruising started back up from the shutdown, I booked a really good rate on an Alaska itinerary on the Encore.  I took one of the wale watching excursions.  There was a guy who had all his equipment with him on the tour.  I had my (then) iPhone 13.  Aside from this guy being kind of a pain because he elbowed his way in front of the rest of us swinging his lenes he had over his shoulders around in the process.  

I’m on vacation, so I let this guy “do his thing” because there were so many wales on this excursion, if he was on the right looking for wales, there would inevitably be wale sightings on the left, where we were.  And, he couldn’t get into the front because we would stand up to take pics in front of him.

Anyway, as we were headed back to the pier after the excursion, we were sharing the pics we shot.  I’m sure if pice were printed, his probably would look better.  But in reality, I save all my pics on a digital frame.  And, they looked great.

Again, I understand those of you who are photographers as a hobby (or even pros).  You got the nice gear.  So, use it.

I normally bring a compact system camera (lumix GM1) with me and to be honest for landscape and people pictures there’s not a huge difference in picture quality between that and my phone (currently Samsung s21) even in print. I get A4 sized photo books printed and both work, it’s when you’re taking a picture where you’ve used the zoom that the difference in quality arises, e.g. getting pictures of neighbouring islands when I was in St Kitts. 

I’m going to test out the camera options on a dolphin watching excursion here locally to see if it’s just going to be too unwieldy on a crowded boat. The friend travelling with me keeps thinking about getting a camera so she’s going to try my usual travel kit while I try the sports kit (Canon 7D&7DII ) on the dolphin watching. 

• Like 2

It's been a while since I was able to get a GTY Room assignment this soon before sailing.  But, indeed I did.....

TERMINAL ARRIVAL TIME:
10:00 am - 10:30 am 

• GUEST NAME:
    XXXXX SSSSS
  • RESERVATION NUMBER:
    XXXXXX
  • SHIP:
    Norwegian Bliss
  • SAIL DATE:
    04/22/2023
  • STATEROOM:
    CLUB BALCONY SUITE MC
  • STATEROOM #:
    XXXX
  • STATEROOM LOCATION:
    9 MID
  • LATITUDE NUMBER:
    XXXXXXX
  • LATITUDE REWARD LEVEL:
    SAPPHIRE
  • Like 3

At The Pier

SHIP NAME SAILING DATE STATEROOM BOOKED BY
Norwegian Bliss 04/22/2023 XXXX- MID DECK 9 TRAVEL QUEST NETWORK, LLC
BOARDING PROCESS PIER ADDRESS
Google Maps
Print Luggage Tags  
•Boarding begins at 12:00 PM.
Please note the time you have selected to arrive at the pier.
Guest arriving to the pier before your select arrival time will be asked to come back at the appropriate time.
Pier 66
2225 Alaskan Way,
Seattle WA 98121
Save time by affixing these tags to your suitcases before arriving to the pier.  
•Departure time: 05:00 PM DATE: 04/22/2023
All Guests must be on board the ship no later than 2 hours prior to the departure time noted on these documents or they will not be permitted to sail.

• Like 1

PORT OF CALL/ITINERARY   ARRIVE DEPART
SEATTLE     04/22/23 05:00 PM
AT SEA      
JUNEAU, ALASKA, US DOCK 04/24/23 01:30 PM 04/24/23 11:00 PM
SKAGWAY, ALASKA, US DOCK 04/25/23 07:00 AM 04/25/23 08:15 PM
CRUISE GLACIER BAY, AK      
KETCHIKAN (WARD COVE), ALASKA, US DOCK 04/27/23 07:00 AM 04/27/23 01:15 PM
VICTORIA BC CANADA, CANADA DOCK 04/28/23 08:00 PM 04/28/23 11:59 PM
SEATTLE DOCK 04/29/23 06:00 AM  

SHORE EXCURSIONS
We notice that you haven't booked any Shore Excursions. But it's not too late. You can book adventures ashore up to two days prior to sailing. Click here for all your options. You may also call the Norwegian Cruise Line Shore Excursion team at 1.866.625.1167. Outside the U.S. and Canada you may reach us at 0845.201.8900.

Lightbulb Image TIP: If you have not yet booked any onboard experiences such as Dining and Entertainment or would like to book more, it's not too late. Click here to explore your options on My NCL.

Amenities
DESCRIPTION PROMO CODE QUANTITY
2 Meal Specialty Dining Package DINPK2 1
Shore Excursion Discount  SHDC50 1
Free $75 On-Board Credit Certificate Non -Refundable OB75. 1
Internet Package (150 Minutes) CHI150 1
Unlimited Open Bar Package BEVPK1 1
Note: For changes to your amenities please contact your travel professional prior to sailing. All changes must be done no later than 48 hours prior to sailing date. No changes to selected amenities will be done once onboard.
  • Like 1

Club Balcony and Sapphire Latitudes "stuff"....the only things I really care about on this list is the free laundry, Specialty Dining and the in room Coffee Maker.

• Distinctive Purple Keycard
  • Pre-book onboard entertainment and dining as early as 125 days prior to sailing
  • 1 complimentary valet laundry
  • 1 bottle of sparkling wine upon embarkation
  • Treats delivered to your stateroom twice per week.
  • Bliss Collection by Norwegian™ featuring fine linens and pillows
  • Lemongrass bathroom products
  • Bathrobes
  • TV, refrigerator, safe, and hair dryer
  • Sitting area
  • Lower beds arranged as a queen-size bed.
  • Coffee maker & ice bucket available upon request.
  • 24-hour standard room service menu
  • Continental breakfast menu
  • All Bronze, Silver and Gold perks
  • Complimentary dinner for two at Cagney's or Le Bistro (with wine)
  • Complimentary dinner for two at Moderno or La Cucina
  • Wine around the World tasting
  • 15% off internet package 
  • Prebooking for dining, entertainment and activities 125 days 
  • Chocolate-covered strawberries
  • Behind-the-scenes ship tour
  • Concierge service to help with reservations for dining, shore excursions and shows
  • Dedicated Pre-cruise Service Desk
Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2