LIVE ALASKA NCL BLISS 04-22-2023 to 04-29-2023 Review

graphicguy

8 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

There is no "stand."  You just go to the designated area in the parking garage and input your trip request in your app.  The driver will text you which numbered spot they're pulling into.  I can't imagine anything be quicker or more simple.

As @ChiefMateJRK stated…for either Taxi (stand) or Uber/Lyft you walk the same way.  Taxi is to the left upon entering garage and you crossover the driveway then left for Uber. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

There is no "stand."  You just go to the designated area in the parking garage and input your trip request in your app.  The driver will text you which numbered spot they're pulling into.  I can't imagine anything be quicker or more simple.

I must be thinking of another airport.  

I’ve sailed out of  SEA, Vancouver, NYC, MIA, and FLL on my recent cruises.  One of them had a long stand about ½ mile from baggage claim for Uber/Lyft.  And, once I found the driver, there was an added fee because he had to wait 10 minutes for me to find him.  

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I must be thinking of another airport.  

I’ve sailed out of  SEA, Vancouver, NYC, MIA, and FLL on my recent cruises.  One of them had a long stand about ½ mile from baggage claim for Uber/Lyft.  And, once I found the driver, there was an added fee because he had to wait 10 minutes for me to find him.  

That's not this.  See below satellite of SeaTac terminal.  Uber/Lyft is indicated on the right (obviously, not on the top level of the garage).

image.png.6672baa399b3ad38c20dfd639956b1ba.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wacruiselover said:

We are on the Bliss leaving the day you get in - April 29. With the online show reservations is it possible to book two nights of the same show? We would like to see Jersey Boys (early showing) twice if possible.

Yes….they won’t care.  No one is limited how many times they can see any show!

• Like 1

We stay at the Seattle Marriott Waterfront as it's totally easy-peasy - you just walk across the street to Pier 66 on embarkation morning. Last time, we used Seattle Shuttle to get from SEA-TAC to the hotel  and we probably will again next month as they provided great service. We're all about convenience even though it might cost a bit more. 

https://seattleshuttle.net/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NikiPinkston said:

Last time, we used Seattle Shuttle to get from SEA-TAC to the hotel  and we probably will again next month as they provided great service. We're all about convenience even though it might cost a bit more. 

https://seattleshuttle.net/

We used to use those types of services.  They were fine but had a few drawbacks.

a) we sometimes had to wait a while for the van to arrive and/or fill up

b) often times we had to squeeze through to one of the back rows and that isn't easy for somebody like me who barely fits into an airline seat

c) depending on your luck of the draw, you might have to stop at several other hotels for drop offs before reaching your hotel

d) they typically required advance purchase and were non-refundable in some scenarios

As I mentioned earlier, Uber/Lyft have become our transfers of choice.  I resisted for a while because of typical human "reluctance to change," but eventually forced myself to try them out and I've been very pleased with them.  When DD travels with us we need to order an XL, which theoretically seats up to five.  That's a joke, but typically the driver will let one of us sit in the front seat so it's very comfortable.

WRT Pier 66, I've had Uber pick us up on Bell street before and that makes it very quick and simple, as they don't have to navigate the chaos that is Alaskan way during ship loading/unloading.  We may try that for drop off next AK cruise, as it avoids being delayed by trains which for some reason are blocking the streets every single time.

• Like 2

Not a shill for these guys (although if they want to send me free product, I'll take it).  But, I despise the "urn" coffee on any cruise ship, NCL included.  Plus, having to leave my cabin just to get a decent cup of coffee when I get up defeats the purpose of my total laziness when I'm on a cruise.  And, we can't have that now, can we?

I used to bring those Starbucks instant packets with me on my cruises.  They're good for what they are, and certainly way better than the urn coffee.  But, I still need cream and sugar to get that to where I want it.

So, last cruise, I took these based on another lazy cruiser's recommendation (seems to be a theme developing).........

https://maxpressocoffee.com/what-is-maxpresso

It's an all-in-one type of coffee packet.  But, it's hella better than urn coffee and would say it's even better than the Starbucks stuff (cheaper too).

Highly recommended.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

So, last cruise, I took these based on another lazy cruiser's recommendation (seems to be a theme developing).........

It's an all-in-one type of coffee packet.  But, it's hella better than urn coffee and would say it's even better than the Starbucks stuff (cheaper too).

Interesting.  What do you do for hot water?

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Not a shill for these guys (although if they want to send me free product, I'll take it).  But, I despise the "urn" coffee on any cruise ship, NCL included.  Plus, having to leave my cabin just to get a decent cup of coffee when I get up defeats the purpose of my total laziness when I'm on a cruise.  And, we can't have that now, can we?

I used to bring those Starbucks instant packets with me on my cruises.  They're good for what they are, and certainly way better than the urn coffee.  But, I still need cream and sugar to get that to where I want it.

Highly recommended.

I also bring those Starbucks instant packets even though I am not a Starbucks fan. I do not use any sweetener in my coffee. How sweet is Maxpresso?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

We used to use those types of services.  They were fine but had a few drawbacks.

a) we sometimes had to wait a while for the van to arrive and/or fill up

b) often times we had to squeeze through to one of the back rows and that isn't easy for somebody like me who barely fits into an airline seat

c) depending on your luck of the draw, you might have to stop at several other hotels for drop offs before reaching your hotel

d) they typically required advance purchase and were non-refundable in some scenarios

As I mentioned earlier, Uber/Lyft have become our transfers of choice.  I resisted for a while because of typical human "reluctance to change," but eventually forced myself to try them out and I've been very pleased with them.  When DD travels with us we need to order an XL, which theoretically seats up to five.  That's a joke, but typically the driver will let one of us sit in the front seat so it's very comfortable.

WRT Pier 66, I've had Uber pick us up on Bell street before and that makes it very quick and simple, as they don't have to navigate the chaos that is Alaskan way during ship loading/unloading.  We may try that for drop off next AK cruise, as it avoids being delayed by trains which for some reason are blocking the streets every single time.

@ChiefMateJRK, when we've taken Seattle Shuttle, we've been the only ones in the vehicle and, although they're not cheap, maybe we were just lucky. I, too, hate having to climb over other passengers to get in the back. I'm just getting too old for that! Our granddaughter gave me a lesson on using Uber and I have the app on my phone but I guess I do have that human reluctance to change, plus I really enjoy having everything scheduled ahead of time, but I'm sure we'll try it at some point so I appreciate your tips! I always wondered about those tracks in front of the Marriott as we haven't yet been stopped from crossing Alaskan Way by a train, but I guess we've been leading a charmed life LOL. BTW, DH has the "dressy" sweatpants you recommended already packed for our Alaska cruise next month and seems extraordinarily happy about it!

Edited by NikiPinkston
  • Like 2

It's been several years since we've been on a cruise and it appears a lot of things have changed. I have questions about the Add-ons that were included in our fare:

1. Does the two - 2 meal speciality dining package have additional hidden fees? Is there a way to make a reservation prior to leaving or does it have to be made on the ship? Which restaurants are best?

2. Does the unlimited open bar package have additional hidden fees?

3. I just read it's important to put your phone on airplane mode so your messages and emails don't continue to come in on your phone. If we do that, then what's the best way to use the 150 minute internet package? I also read there is an app that you can download to text and talk to others onboard and it's a one time fee of $9.95 per person to use the whole cruise. Is this what most use?

15 minutes ago, NikiPinkston said:

I always wondered about those tracks in front of the Marriott as we haven't yet been stopped from crossing Alaskan Way by a train, but I guess we've been leading a charmed life LOL.

We've been on four AK cruises and, IIRC, had to wait for trains on three of them.  No big deal.  Once was a hotel shuttle, which we weren't paying for delays.  Once was a cab (paid by the hotel because their shuttle had a "flat tire."  Right 🤣) so we didn't pay the cab to sit and wait.  The other was an Uber, which was a flat rate so the driver took a bit of a detour to minimize his down time.

18 minutes ago, NikiPinkston said:

BTW, DH has the "dressy" sweatpants you recommended already packed for our Alaska cruise next month and seems extraordinarily happy about it!

Nice!!  Once he wears those on a ship, he'll be asking for more.  Never to early to start that Christmas list 🎅. 😎  Don't forget to pack his slippers! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Gibberish1 said:

3. I just read it's important to put your phone on airplane mode so your messages and emails don't continue to come in on your phone. If we do that, then what's the best way to use the 150 minute internet package?

My iPhone receives messages and emails over wi-fi, so turning off cellular talk and data (i.e. putting it in airplane mode) has no impact.  Beyond that, just log into and out of your free minutes as you see fit.  When in a domestic port it is sometimes best to take the phone out of airplane mode and to use my plan's cellular data instead of consuming the free ship minutes.  I just need to remember to put it back into airplane mode so it doesn't ping some foreign tower and purchase a $10 day plan (ATT).  That's only happened to me once. 

• Like 2

Just noticed that you are at Ward Cove in Ketch. fyi that is at least a 20 min bus ride to downtown. It might be better now but in years past the bus rides had long waits to get back onboard and actually seeing things was quite reduced. 

15 hours ago, Gibberish1 said:

Hi! Can you please give advice on whether or not buying the unlimited internet package (not premium) is worth the $110 per person charge?

It is for me.  I get it everytime, but I use it alot.  Not everyone does.  I just like the convenience of not logging in and out.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

I also bring those Starbucks instant packets even though I am not a Starbucks fan. I do not use any sweetener in my coffee. How sweet is Maxpresso?

It's about as sweet as putting in one of the STEVIA packets (which is what I like).  So, maybe too sweet for you?  Again, your username says otherwise.... 😉

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Gibberish1 said:

Hi! Can you please give advice on whether or not buying the unlimited internet package (not premium) is worth the $110 per person charge?

Depends on what you want to do with it.  If you're only going to text, stick with the "regular" internet package.

But, I usually do a live picture blog (which will show up in this thread, hence the title) and it's imperative to have the Premium Unlimited plan.  Logging in and logging out (which is what you have to do on the standard plan) is a pain.  Plus, internet speeds are slow enough with the Premium plan.  I can't even imagine what they'd be like with the standard plan.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, SightCRR said:

Just noticed that you are at Ward Cove in Ketch. fyi that is at least a 20 min bus ride to downtown. It might be better now but in years past the bus rides had long waits to get back onboard and actually seeing things was quite reduced. 

Done that bus trip last year. Didn't have an issue, but the ship wasn't full, either.  No problem for me.  I can do the downtown area pretty quickly because I know where I want to go and what I want to see.

16 hours ago, Gibberish1 said:

It's been several years since we've been on a cruise and it appears a lot of things have changed. I have questions about the Add-ons that were included in our fare:

1. Does the two - 2 meal speciality dining package have additional hidden fees? Is there a way to make a reservation prior to leaving or does it have to be made on the ship? Which restaurants are best?

JUST ADD THE TIPS, WHICH I THINK IS AROUND $20 FOR THE PACKAGE.  WHICH ARE THE BEST?  DEPENDS ON THE FOOD YOU LIKE.  FOR "1ST TIMERS", I ALWAYS SUGGEST TEPPANYAKI AND LEBISTRO.  HOWEVER, MY PERSONAL FAVES ARE OCEAN BLUE AND FOOD REPULIC

2. Does the unlimited open bar package have additional hidden fees?

SAME AS DINING, YOU JUST PAY THE TIPS, WHICH I THINK IS $21-$22/PP/PD

3. I just read it's important to put your phone on airplane mode so your messages and emails don't continue to come in on your phone. If we do that, then what's the best way to use the 150 minute internet package? I also read there is an app that you can download to text and talk to others onboard and it's a one time fee of $9.95 per person to use the whole cruise. Is this what most use?

MOST?  I DON'T KNOW.  I FIGURE I'M ON A SHIP.  THERE'S ONLY SO MANY PLACES MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY CAN GO.  I DO LIVE REVIEWS WITH PICS, SO I OPT FOR THE PREMIUM UNLIMITED PACKAGE.  WHAT YOU'RE GOING TO DO, OR USE THE INTERNET FOR WILL DETERMINE WHAT PLAN YOU SHOULD HAVE.  UNDERSTAND, THE INTERNET ON ANY SHIP IS, AT BEST, SLOW.  PUTTING YOUR PHONE ON AIRPLANE MODE IS A GOOD IDEA.  IF YOUR PHONE SUPPORTS VOIP, YOU CAN MAKE AND RECEIVE CALLS AND TEXTS THAT WAY.  AGAIN, WIFI ON BOARD CAN BE, AND USUALLY IS, SPOTTY.  

HOPE THAT HELPS!

• Like 1