LIVE ALASKA NCL BLISS 04-22-2023 to 04-29-2023 Review

graphicguy

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Weather Skagway looking forward…

Juneau

I know we’re a week out, but looks like 40ºs-50ºs during the day and rainy.  

So, crafting what I’ll pack accordingly.

GG - before things get trip crazy on your end and mine, packing here as well - it is T minus 6 as we embark Saturday, sailaway is 7:30 pm EDT after onboard dinner on the Hudson (River) with MDR "Taste" reservation for us.  Can you guess where we are going, hehe - we will still be at sea a week later, going eastbound but will follow your journey, as we are putting Alaska on the bucket list for next season ... hopefully.  

Was going to maintain CC "radio silence" for a few more days before doing or saying anything specific, with a big roll call, another CC veteran just kicked off his Live(ish) and for now, helping to put out some useful tips, info & advice on that - some of them planning to use mass/public transit to get from LGA and JFK to MCT/Pier 88 this coming Saturday.  

Have a great one - let's see how good our satellite internet will be ahead, will have more port days the following week.  Regards - Henry a/k/a mking8288 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2

I am following your review. We will be on the Bliss in 3 weeks for our first Alaskan cruise and first cruise with NCL. I am a little concerned after reading recent mediocre reviews but we tend to be easy going and will make the best of it. 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

looks like 40ºs-50ºs during the day and rainy. So, crafting what I’ll pack accordingly.

…so same as it is in Seattle now. Heh. I’m practicing sitting outside in a parka drinking a daiquiri.

PNW wet weather attire for the menfolk: long sleeves, short sleeves, fleece vest, hoodie, maybe water proof jacket if needed, cargo shorts, wool socks, Merrell’s or some sort of hiking sandal (with socks). 
(never an umbrella - wind ruins them, and we don’t have a real rain, just a constant damp and wet. Does Alaska get real rain or is it a damp and wet?)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Last time I sailed to Alaska last year, it was nice weather, mostly.  I think it was Skagway that was the only rainy port.  Had wished for an umbrella, but didn’t have one.  So, taking one of those little collapsible ones…hangs off my belt.

Regarding peopel getting “stabbed” with an umbrella, whoever is wielding the umbrella and poking people with it, I’d probably have to have a “discussion” with them about their behavior.

Anyone that’s lived by the coast in northern latitudes will recommend against umbrellas, the wind makes mincemeat of them. Wind has a tendency to make rain drive sideways, there’s a reason Irish golfers are prone to surfers ear. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mking8288 said:

GG - before things get trip crazy on your end and mine, packing here as well - it is T minus 6 as we embark Saturday, sailaway is 7:30 pm EDT after onboard dinner on the Hudson (River) with MDR "Taste" reservation for us.  Can you guess where we are going, hehe - we will still be at sea a week later, going eastbound but will follow your journey, as we are putting Alaska on the bucket list for next season ... hopefully.  

Was going to maintain CC "radio silence" for a few more days before doing or saying anything specific, with a big roll call, another CC veteran just kicked off his Live(ish) and for now, helping to put out some useful tips, info & advice on that - some of them planning to use mass/public transit to get from LGA and JFK to MCT/Pier 88 this coming Saturday.  

Have a great one - let's see how good our satellite internet will be ahead, will have more port days the following week.  Regards - Henry a/k/a mking8288 

Thanks, Henry.  Will be following you, as well.

Going to try to go "live" as best I can.  I know my last trip was spotty for WiFi.  But, my itinerary is pretty port rich, so should be able to upload to CC when we're on land.  I have Verizon, which I recall to be pretty reliable from my last trip.

Bon Voyage!

PS...I was looking at some of the pics from our GEM cruise on the cabin crawl.  We all had a grand time on that one.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, depplep said:

I also noticed on your itinerary as well as mine for Encore it says Victoria is in port 8pm-11:59pm.  Surely this is a typo??

Yeah...it's a nite stopover.  I'm sure there's a good reason.  I just don't know what it might be.  Either way, there look to be some nice evening excursions available.

Packing list hasn't changed much....it's still....

-3 pair of khaki/painters pants

-3 hoodies

-meds

-electric razor

-wrinkle away

-7 pr boxers (TMI?)

-4 pr socks

-1 rain slick

-umbrella

-1 iPad

-chargers/cords

-1 iPhone

-passport

-ticket/e-ticket

-deoderant

-Maxpresso coffee packs 

I think that's it.  1 back pack and one roll aboard.  No checked baggage.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Yeah...it's a nite stopover.  I'm sure there's a good reason.  I just don't know what it might be.  Either way, there look to be some nice evening excursions available.

Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 requires a "foriegn port of call" and Yes most of the time it is from about 8 P.M. until Midnight.  It is about a six hour sail from Victoria to Seattle.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, depplep said:

Well, that's unfortunate. I was looking forward to B.C. I'm not getting off the ship in that case. Thanks.

Many people stay on the ship and make sure they are ready for disembarkation in the morning.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, depplep said:

I also noticed on your itinerary as well as mine for Encore it says Victoria is in port 8pm-11:59pm.  Surely this is a typo??

Sorry, not a typo.

This port is necessary for requirement for “foreign “ stop . The late arrival is due to the tremendous distance the ship must cover to get to Victoria. If seas are rough, they must slow down, which adds time to arrival. 
Depending on time of year, it will most likely be dark upon arrival.

We have sailed in September and it is still light out and nice. Other times of year, it has been dark, cold and rainy.  

Edited by phissy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, depplep said:

Remembering another port many were unhappy about.

Ketchikan.

NCL has built its own port 8 miles outside of city.
No more docking right at the dock in front of town.

Nothing else around there.

It is a very short port stop.

Many on our sailing did not get notice that last bus to town left at 9:30 (it may have changed this year) They came  down to building hoping to catch shuttle to town after late breakfast. Received big NO for answer. Had to buy souvenirs from vendors set up in building.
Also, last shuttle from town was 11:00am

This is a shame as we always enjoyed walking off ship and visiting with friends who have art galleries. Then, Wandering around town before leisurely heading back on to the ship. 

65026891-DF76-41E3-A48A-593E7EB2FDA2.png

77D33B07-69A4-4CC9-BB74-77969A5BD115.png

Edited by phissy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phissy said:

Also, last shuttle from town was 11:00am

This is the one NCL excursion that I’m most concerned about - we have an official NCL branded pub crawl scheduled for 10:00AM and I worry about fighting to get back on the shuttle and hoofing it back to the ship. I’m so tempted to cancel and do a self guided ‘crawl’ .. but I keep being told that the ship won’t leave without us if we use one of their excursions. 
I have family that fishes out of Ketchikan and have a list of places to drink at and I feel like I’ve been there a dozen times through pictures. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lush LaRue said:

This is the one NCL excursion that I’m most concerned about - we have an official NCL branded pub crawl scheduled for 10:00AM and I worry about fighting to get back on the shuttle and hoofing it back to the ship. I’m so tempted to cancel and do a self guided ‘crawl’ .. but I keep being told that the ship won’t leave without us if we use one of their excursions. 
I have family that fishes out of Ketchikan and have a list of places to drink at and I feel like I’ve been there a dozen times through pictures. 

The NCL excursions should have their own transport. I actually suspect that’s why the general shuttle finishes so early. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

The NCL excursions should have their own transport. I actually suspect that’s why the general shuttle finishes so early. 

Thank you! I wasn’t able to get that information from shorex support. (the group meets the tour at a ..thing.. in the center of town.)  …other than we make sure we time it that you are back.. still, I told my cruise partners to hustle hustle hustle and be prepared to run if needed. 

Edited by Lush LaRue
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I was looking at some of the pics from our GEM cruise on the cabin crawl.  We all had a grand time on that one.

That was mucho fun, especially when the CC group made it up to Haven ... quietly and being hosted by fellow CC upstairs.  As much as the mega ships are great, we still have a special spot in our hearts for the "older" mid-sized ships, Gem with her bridge viewing room.  This weekend, once at sea - we are going to walk down our corridor to this one-of-a-kind ship to check out the bridge viewing room, only learned she has one, starboard side.  Bliss has the Observation Lounge, as you already know.

It's been years since we set foot on Alaska ports - on our return to SEA, Victoria was last & a short one, 4 pm arrival but at least it was daylight, we walk the handful of shops not far from the pier, photos with the RCMP with their bright red uniform, and up the small hill to check out the area - really didn't give us that much time to sightsee or do anything meaningful, knowing it was a "technical" stop to satisfy gov't regs.  Getting in around 8 pm'ish is worst, dark & doubtful that anything is open, aside from maybe the bars & cafe - if any.  VZW had a decent 3G roaming signal then, T-Mo was bad and someone had Sprint then, absolutely useless ... nowadays, should expect & get better free roaming services from "our" carrier's partners.  

• Like 2

Out of our entire itinerary, Ketchikan is the one I care about least.  The little “souvenir” warehouse is a bit tacky.  Plus, it was raining like crazy when I went the first time.  Really not much in the way of anything to do if the weather is bad.

@Lush LaRue….I’m debating only taking 4 pr of skivvies.  I have two free laundry tickets.  I can get on the ship with entirely clean clothes.  And, I can get off the ship with entirely clean clothes.  Plus, everything will be clean every day by using the laundry.

Let’s just say I take cleanliness seriously.  I even fold my dirty clothes and put them in their own little bag.  I don’t leave anything strewn about in my cabin.  I put all my toiletries in a row in the bathroom and make sure they’re clean and dry before I leave the bathroom.  I actually pull up the blankets of the bed before I leave it.

I’m seeking OCD help.  Lord knows I need it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

10 hours ago, mking8288 said:

That was mucho fun, especially when the CC group made it up to Haven ... quietly and being hosted by fellow CC upstairs.  As much as the mega ships are great, we still have a special spot in our hearts for the "older" mid-sized ships, Gem with her bridge viewing room.  This weekend, once at sea - we are going to walk down our corridor to this one-of-a-kind ship to check out the bridge viewing room, only learned she has one, starboard side.  Bliss has the Observation Lounge, as you already know.

It's been years since we set foot on Alaska ports - on our return to SEA, Victoria was last & a short one, 4 pm arrival but at least it was daylight, we walk the handful of shops not far from the pier, photos with the RCMP with their bright red uniform, and up the small hill to check out the area - really didn't give us that much time to sightsee or do anything meaningful, knowing it was a "technical" stop to satisfy gov't regs.  Getting in around 8 pm'ish is worst, dark & doubtful that anything is open, aside from maybe the bars & cafe - if any.  VZW had a decent 3G roaming signal then, T-Mo was bad and someone had Sprint then, absolutely useless ... nowadays, should expect & get better free roaming services from "our" carrier's partners.  

I loved the bridge viewing room on the Pearl during my first cruise to Alaska, but then I love seeing how things work.

If my husband and I hadn’t gone to Victoria via ferry from Vancouver on a day trip before our cruise to Alaska, we would have been sadly disappointed by the short evening hours that we had there. But we enjoyed seeing it at night all lit up.

It’s a full day trip from Seattle to Victoria with a transit time of 2:45 minutes each way but a great way to see it if you arrive in Seattle a few days before your cruise.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Out of our entire itinerary, Ketchikan is the one I care about least.  The little “souvenir” warehouse is a bit tacky.  Plus, it was raining like crazy when I went the first time.  Really not much in the way of anything to do if the weather is bad.

@Lush LaRue….I’m debating only taking 4 pr of skivvies.  I have two free laundry tickets.  I can get on the ship with entirely clean clothes.  And, I can get off the ship with entirely clean clothes.  Plus, everything will be clean every day by using the laundry.

Let’s just say I take cleanliness seriously.  I even fold my dirty clothes and put them in their own little bag.  I don’t leave anything strewn about in my cabin.  I put all my toiletries in a row in the bathroom and make sure they’re clean and dry before I leave the bathroom.  I actually pull up the blankets of the bed before I leave it.

I’m seeking OCD help.  Lord knows I need it.

I’m like you, I need everything neat and orderly, so I guess I need help too!  So looking forward to your review, I’ll be reading it from aboard the  Getaway, as I have an Encore cruise booked for August. We’ll be in a club balcony suite so will have 3 free laundry tickets between the two of us. Just got to watch out for the hidden laundry tags of pain😉

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, justhappy said:

I’m like you, I need everything neat and orderly, so I guess I need help too!  So looking forward to your review, I’ll be reading it from aboard the  Getaway, as I have an Encore cruise booked for August. We’ll be in a club balcony suite so will have 3 free laundry tickets between the two of us. Just got to watch out for the hidden laundry tags of pain😉

Laundry tags…..I know.  It’s sometimes a couple of months I feel them scratching me before I identify what it is, and then peel their gorilla glued tags off.

Some things I’ll let slide (like my pile of mail that I look at once/week).  Others, like my bathroom, bedroom….it must be orderly.  Otherwise, I feel like a slacker and judge others accordingly (j/k).

• Haha 4