Just an FYI (No Passport Online Renewal

Ret MP

5 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

If Amazon (or Chick Fil-A) handled passports we would have them back with a 72 hour turnaround

I'm a PRIME Amazon member, pre-COVID, most items I purchased were delivered, at no extra cost, in one day, if the item was PRIME and in stock.  Now, HA, who knows!  And part of the problem is the so-called, "shipping partners".  Passing off items from the left hand to the right hand just doesn't work far too often.  Island Lady says that it says in transit, often.  My experience with Amazon is that when "shipping partners" is used, it says, "awaiting package from shipping partner", FOR DAYS!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Hummmmmmmm, maybe I mean "Certified".  Whatever the designation is that everyone that handles the item has to sign for it (either physically or electronically).  It's been a long time (years) since I've been at a USPS facility.  I generally use FEDEX or UPS now.  But, make no mistake, their service has gone way down hill lately, too.  You're right, my tax dollars at work, HA!.  

Each time I send out something certified, the clerk always asks if I would require "return signature receipt"  I believe that is what you are talking about.  Most of the time, I simply want the tracking, and don't need signature return receipt, but have used it on occasion.  Should have it done with this one, I think I did it the last time.  Oh well..I know they have it now with the cashed check.  

All priority mail is sent with tracking. Another "coulda-shoulda-woulda" would have been to go that route as well.  

In our private community, we have our own U.S. post office within.  Just makes it really easy to send out via golf cart ride to the office here.  😉   I normally don't have a problem with them.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I'm a PRIME Amazon member, pre-COVID, most items I purchased were delivered, at no extra cost, in one day, if the item was PRIME and in stock.  Now, HA, who knows!  And part of the problem is the so-called, "shipping partners".  Passing off items from the left hand to the right hand just doesn't work far too often.  Island Lady says that it says in transit, often.  My experience with Amazon is that when "shipping partners" is used, it says, "awaiting package from shipping partner", FOR DAYS!

I love the tracking you get from Amazon sometimes.  They show their little van moving up our street, with "stop numbers" yet to go and a map.  I will walk out to the driveway to meet them when they pull up.  I know most of them by now...good people.  🙂   One likes Dove chocolates. 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

Each time I send out something certified, the clerk always asks if I would require "return signature receipt"  I believe that is what you are talking about.  Most of the time, I simply want the tracking, and don't need signature return receipt, but have used it on occasion.  Should have it done with this one, I think I did it the last time.  Oh well..I know they have it now with the cashed check.  

All priority mail is sent with tracking. Another "coulda-shoulda-woulda" would have been to go that route as well.  

In our private community, we have our own U.S. post office within.  Just makes it really easy to send out via golf cart ride to the office here.  😉   I normally don't have a problem with them.  

A dirty little secret, ALL mail, at least mail (envelopes) with a USPS bar code in the address or on the envelope, is tracked, it's just a pay-for-service.  When I worked in customer service (an Electric Utility Coop) we could track every bill sent out and when it reached the hands of the final delivery person (I think they now have the ability to track it in to your mailbox).  But, it was a 3rd party service.  My mail delivery person won't allow me to take an item that won't fit into my mailbox, she has to actually take it to my front door and scan or do something to establish the exact location (GPS) of the final location.  Either FEDEX or UPS or both actually take a picture of the packages final location.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, island lady said:

Villages?  

18 hours ago, Cigar King said:

I know this thread is about Passports, but as a tangential data point, we applied for Global Entry.  It was supposed to take 3 months.  We got conditionally approved 8.5 months into it, and we still need to do an interview in May.  My understanding is all these programs are WAY behind.

That is a long time, but so worth it.  Global entry is so amazing if you travel international and it is nice on domestic flights to go in the TSA line.  I hope you are able to get it soon.  So worth it for us.

7 hours ago, sjlogghe said:

Sorry to hear this! I was almost in the same boat - I really didn't want to have to use a birth certificate, but was glad to have it as a backup option and not have to completely cancel my cruise.

I submitted my online renewal on January 24th, expedited service. It said 3-5 week processing time. As of this past Thursday, 3/23, still "in process." I had seen a video online of someone mentioning contacting their state Senator, so I looked into it. Both of my senators had a specific page on their website regarding passport help! On Thursday afternoon I filled out the online form, then printed and faxed an authorization form to them. Friday morning I got an email from the Senator's office stating they had contacted the passport agency on my behalf. What do you know, I received an email from the passport agency Friday evening at about 6 pm saying my passport had shipped!! It arrives Monday, I leave for my cruise Saturday. Phew!

It is so frustrating that this is happening to a lot of people. And also frustrating that it took contacting my Senator to get anything accomplished! I had called the passport line many times, most of the time I couldn't get through, and the 2 times I was able to get through they weren't much help. And forget trying to make an in person appt, they told me I'd have to wait until Monday and good luck actually getting an appt! 

Thank you for that very valuable information!  I have thought about eventually going that route, but since I (stupidly) did not use the expedited service, I feel like I need to wait a little longer.  I have another cruise on April 16 and definitely don’t want to visit those ports without a passport, so I think I will take that next step on April 6. 

Ours expired March 3.  We mailed for our renewal on the 24 of Feb. Tracking showed it was delivered and picked up on the 27.  I checked last night and it is being processed.  I don't expect new ones until maybe May.

We had 3 cruises booked in Sept, Oct, Nov., and Dec. Also 2 in Feb. so we did not want to risk not getting back our new passports.  I took our birth certificates and marriage licence to show name change for me.  We never had problem with our soon to be expired Passports, thank God.

22 hours ago, basenji56 said:

My suspicion is that the employees who do this work are working from home--but the process doesn't allow them to do it from home so the passports have to wait for the one or two days a week they are in the office.

This is it. I know many people who work almost entirely from home, but certain things need to be done onsite, so the tax payer is left waiting. They need a better way to coordinate so passport processing is timely. 

• Like 1

I appreciate the heads-up.  This is crazy though.  Without online service, I have to physically fly to Anchorage, because there is not passport service in my town, then I have to stay overnight.  Plus food and uber, added about 600 bucks to my renewal/name change.  

I just called RCL and had my name changed back to my passport name. (I have been fighting to get my birth certificate from NY without luck for over 3 weeks), so no way can I get this all done by May.  

You saved me on the May cruise, Yet the headache will still be waiting for me!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ymncruise said:

This is it. I know many people who work almost entirely from home, but certain things need to be done onsite, so the tax payer is left waiting. They need a better way to coordinate so passport processing is timely. 

Agreed!!

My oldest daughter works from home, exclusively.  She has done it for decades as she is the research assistant to the CEO of a major Electronic Supply company.  That's the kind of work that can be done from home.  Most, including the Passport Office, need to be in the office to provide professional and timely service to which the customers are entitled.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nimbex1970 said:

I appreciate the heads-up.  This is crazy though.  Without online service, I have to physically fly to Anchorage, because there is not passport service in my town, then I have to stay overnight.  Plus food and uber, added about 600 bucks to my renewal/name change.  

I just called RCL and had my name changed back to my passport name. (I have been fighting to get my birth certificate from NY without luck for over 3 weeks), so no way can I get this all done by May.  

You saved me on the May cruise, Yet the headache will still be waiting for me!

The online service did not accommodate name changes so even if it were still offered, you would have had to go to Anchorage anyway. 

The online renewals (just like the mail in renewals) were for simple, no change, uncomplicated renewals of adult issued passports. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/24/2023 at 3:27 PM, Cigar King said:

I know this thread is about Passports, but as a tangential data point, we applied for Global Entry.  It was supposed to take 3 months.  We got conditionally approved 8.5 months into it, and we still need to do an interview in May.  My understanding is all these programs are WAY behind.

I got conditional approval within days (I applied February of 2022) but scheduling the interview took almost a year. I was hoping to do it at my home airport (PIT) and after months of waiting for open appointments I made one in Cleveland for January 2023 and drove 2 hours. For a 5 minute interview. 🙄 At least its done and now my husband and i both have it (and TSA pre-check!)

5 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The online service did not accommodate name changes so even if it were still offered, you would have had to go to Anchorage anyway. 

The online renewals (just like the mail in renewals) were for simple, no change, uncomplicated renewals of adult issued passports. 

I never looked into online renewals, but you can process a name change by mail.  You just have to submit your proof of name change with an official document (like marriage license or court order) with your forms and previous passport.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steppy08 said:

I was hoping to do it at my home airport (PIT) and after months of waiting for open appointments I made one in Cleveland for January 2023 and drove 2 hours. For a 5 minute interview.

We were considering somethi8ng similar, including international flying just to be able to complete the interview when we returned.  What a pain.  How long did it take to complete the process once you did the interview?

11 hours ago, gluecksbaer said:

I never looked into online renewals, but you can process a name change by mail.  You just have to submit your proof of name change with an official document (like marriage license or court order) with your forms and previous passport.

Thank you, I require both a renewal and a name change,  When I called, a birth certificate is the remaining document thats needed for some dang reason.  I'm still fighting with Albany NY to get one, so I'll run out of time.  Luckily I'm good for may, after a name change on my cruise documents.  Next sailing is November.  These delays are being blamed by covid when I call NY, it's crazy.  Appreciate the update. 

33 minutes ago, nimbex1970 said:

Thank you, I require both a renewal and a name change,  When I called, a birth certificate is the remaining document thats needed for some dang reason.  I'm still fighting with Albany NY to get one, so I'll run out of time.  Luckily I'm good for may, after a name change on my cruise documents.  Next sailing is November.  These delays are being blamed by covid when I call NY, it's crazy.  Appreciate the update. 

I was just referencing the previous commenter who included renewals by mail in their statement about no change renewals.  When I renewed mine after I was married I confirmed that I had to mail mine in when we got passports for the rest of my family.  Even with the name change I was only able to renew by mail.

I remember what a pain that was to gather all the documents, pre-covid.  I don't envy you trying to get everything together now.  I'm glad they were able to change your name to match your passport for now.  Hopefully you can get that birth certificate and start the renewal soon.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cigar King said:

We were considering somethi8ng similar, including international flying just to be able to complete the interview when we returned.  What a pain.  How long did it take to complete the process once you did the interview?

I had my known traveler number at the conclusion of the interview and the Global Entry Card within a week or two. 

There was a story about this on the news this morning. The gentleman in the story said he suggests no one makes travel plans until they have passport in hand. Renewal system is supposed to be up and running "later" this year.

I am currently at 9 weeks and 4 days into a 5-9 week timeline for my online renewal. I am on the Freedom of the Seas today with my birth certificate - barely. This is my 86th cruise, first without a passport. It is totally my fault, but I did not bring some documents that were required with my birth certificate:   marriage certificates, death certificate, divorce decree. I took along my old passport that was voided when I submitted my online application just in case, and the agent argued with me that it was still valid because there was not a hole punched in it.  She let me on board based on that 🙄

My next cruise is April 16, desperately hoping for my new passport for that one. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I am currently at 9 weeks and 4 days into a 5-9 week timeline for my online renewal. I am on the Freedom of the Seas today with my birth certificate - barely. This is my 86th cruise, first without a passport. It is totally my fault, but I did not bring some documents that were required with my birth certificate:   marriage certificates, death certificate, divorce decree. I took along my old passport that was voided when I submitted my online application just in case, and the agent argued with me that it was still valid because there was not a hole punched in it.  She let me on board based on that 🙄

My next cruise is April 16, desperately hoping for my new passport for that one. 

Could not do online renewal.  My check of status on my expedited passport renewal stated 7-9 weeks from start of processing.  They did not officially show it as processing until 5 days after they cashed my check. 

I had tracking on it when I mailed it, but it never showed up as received (thank you USPS).  Luckily I had a sigh of relief when they cashed my check, so I knew they had it.  

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I am on the Freedom of the Seas today with my birth certificate - barely.  

I am most likely going to be in your situation very soon.  My passport expires in June but I have cruises in May and July.  I have everything ready to go for renewal-by-mail, but I am going to wait until we get back from our May cruise on Mariner and then dump everything in the mail.  Doubtful that it will be back in time for my 6 July cruise on Serenade, so most likely I will be sailing with my BC in July.  No changes in name or status to worry about so I should be good.  I just HATE being in this situation.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

I am most likely going to be in your situation very soon.  My passport expires in June but I have cruises in May and July.  I have everything ready to go for renewal-by-mail, but I am going to wait until we get back from our May cruise on Mariner and then dump everything in the mail.  Doubtful that it will be back in time for my 6 July cruise on Serenade, so most likely I will be sailing with my BC in July.  No changes in name or status to worry about so I should be good.  I just HATE being in this situation.

LOL....it's really not a terrible situation.  Just means you have very small windows of opportunity when you are actually home.  We are in that same situation, moss not growing on our stone, not very many open windows to plug things in like doctor appointments, paperwork (ughh...taxes), etc.  😉 

Traveling does take up some time.  😄 

• Like 1