Just 1 Thing

pappy1022

If you could provide just 1 piece of advice to new or relatively novice Regent cruisers, what would it be? Please just 1 even if you have a lot of advice. I will start: use an experienced travel agent familiar with Regent and their connections and processes. 

• Like 2

If something is not to your liking, then ask the right person nicely and if it's at all possible, you'll probably find it changed for you.  Within days of boarding you'll receive a "mid cruise comments" card (and you'll think "mid cruise already?!  What?!!" )  but that is a great opportunity for you to point out any disappointments (and acknowledge any delights, of course 😉 ).  Not only that, but usually, within hours of returning that card, something will be done.  Far, far better to offer opportunities to get it right than to  say nothing  (or post on Social Media later)

For example, some cruises ago, I was disappointed to find no cranberry juice on the breakfast buffet.  I said as much and had a call from the F&B manager explaining that there wasn't room to put out all the juices on the recently streamlined buffet, but if I asked a waiter, it would be brought to my table.  Actually, that wasn't quite right.  I never did have to ask, because every morning, the moment I sat down, a glass of cranberry juice was brought to my table with a smile. 

Edited by Gilly
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

It may be all inclusive, but it doesn’t mean they totally understand all of your needs, desires, abilities and wants. Do research for each port as if your needed to plan the excursions to ensure that you aren’t missing something you really want to do.  Some ports they will nail it and some ports they won’t.  

You still need to research and plan.  Be your own captain! 

• Like 7

I'll give two (my wife says I don't listen😉)

1) Sette Mari (Veranda) is first come first serve and you need to get there around 6:30 when it opens to be sure to get a table.  Daily dinner menus are posted on the TV to help decide between Sette Mari & Compass Rose.

2) Included wines - Regent has a fairly large list of included  wines.  This isn't apparent to new travelers.  Its my understanding that there is a tasting early in the cruise  that goes over the wines available or you can ask the sommelier (insist if you get pushback) in CR for the entire list.  You can ask for any wine at any venue and the better ones aren't readily poured, you have to ask.  If you are a wine person still be prepared to be underwhelmed. 

• Like 5

Read your daily Passages newsletter.  It is packed full of information.  It lists your port that day with temperature and weather conditions to help you dress and pack your day bag.  Passages has:  information on excursions-with meeting times and locations, events around the ship, restaurants and bars with opening and closing times (including the special Lunch pool grill menu), boutique and spa specials, evening events, daily fitness class schedule, officer/staff/production staff bios, and lots of other information.  Many days, I’ll take a photo of the cover to tell where the next photos were taken.  

Edited by NCCruzQueen
  • Like 5

If you have a butler make use of him/her.  If you want an additional specialty restaurant reservation they can often get it for you.  If you want to have some friends for cocktails in your suite, even if it is not a named suite, they can arrange it for you.  If you need something special done with an item of clothing, like a stain or a small tear, point it out to them and it will be fixed.  While having more real estate is often the motivation for getting a penthouse, the butlers we have had made our cruise even more special.

• Like 4

And if you Do have a Butler please Don’t treat him as your Personal servant as you are Not the only guest he has! On our last cruise in September our poor butler was being run Ragged by other guest who thought He was there just for Them! Good thing for us as we really don’t need much from our butler and he Really appreciated it! 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Included wines - Regent has a fairly large list of included  wines. 

5 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

there is a tasting early in the cruise  that goes over the wines available

The tasting doesn't have the included wines from the specialty restaurants. If you find a (included) wine you like in a specialty restaurant, you can ask for it and get it at any other restaurant. If you like a featured wine one night you can ask for it any other night.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

I'll give two (my wife says I don't listen😉)

1) Sette Mari (Veranda) is first come first serve and you need to get there around 6:30 when it opens to be sure to get a table.  Daily dinner menus are posted on the TV to help decide between Sette Mari & Compass Rose.

2) Included wines - Regent has a fairly large list of included  wines.  This isn't apparent to new travelers.  Its my understanding that there is a tasting early in the cruise  that goes over the wines available or you can ask the sommelier (insist if you get pushback) in CR for the entire list.  You can ask for any wine at any venue and the better ones aren't readily poured, you have to ask.  If you are a wine person still be prepared to be underwhelmed. 

Thank you for making me smile, especially that first sentence. 😀

• Like 2

If you haven't been on a Regent Cruise before and if fact, you haven't been on any cruises in the last two decades, I would suggest, before committing the $1000.00 a day for a Concierge Suite, you go on a mainstream cruise on a mainstream line.   Otherwise you will assume that either what is on Regent is similar to the $100 per day charged by or you might think it should be like the Bravo Series 'Below Decks' where a preference sheet is guiding each server prior to your boarding.   

Sadly, I disappointed some very close friends with my 'hype' of what Regent was, and it turns out they had no idea of what Carnival was...   And didn't see the value...

Edited by daetchief
Gr
  • Like 2

Read the FAQs on the RSSC website.

Easily overlooked but includes lots of useful information.

Be wary of what you read on social media, including CC. Remember that some of the information is personal opinion, not necessarily fact; and may have been posted by guests who have not sailed on Regent ships for some time, if at all 🤨

(Sorry I gave two pieces of advice, but the second was free ......... sorry, included 🙄)

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

On 3/25/2023 at 5:34 PM, Techno123 said:

Be realistic in your expectations - yes your cruise is expensive but the world is a very different place to what it was 3 years ago.

Excellent advice, no matter what cruise line you are on!

• Like 2

First, reinforce Techno123's entry which is (was), basically, Do Not Make the Perfect the Enemy of the Good.   

Perfection?  Not in this life. Not even when paying, at the current tab, a minimum of around $1,000 pp per day when on an extended (10+day) Asian or European itinerary.

"Ship happens".  Maintain flexibility dealing with these unanticipated issues which may arise on any cruise--on any Line.  Like: Port stop being canceled due to--oh, a volcanic eruption; civil war; local labor strike, aftermath from a typhoon/hurricane; or, which has become more common, need to cancel the planned itinerary to direct ship "at all possible speed" to a Port with an airport to offload a passenger with a severe medical emergency. 

All of the above pertains to personal experiences.  

Closing on a happier note:  Enjoyed a particular Compass Rose dish such as Miso-glazed sea bass (or cod)?  Of course, you will have.  Provide 24-48 hour's heads-up to request a repeat.  The response to us has always been:  "Of course". 

Or--a family favorite not-listed on Compass Rose's extensive menu, something as simple as meatloaf with mashed potatoes.  Make a similar request.  It will be honored.  

GOARMY!