Help - Grandfather died on HAL 2023 WC

rsbrocco

Sincere condolences to you & your family.  Thank you for putting your story on this web site.  You have given all of us frequent cruisers something to think about & be prepared for.  I am happy that your grandfather got to do the thing he loved-cruising-before he passed.  May he rest in peace.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Captain Ricky said:

If you are caught up in a situation where you are disembarked for health reasons my experience may be helpful for you.  Please click on the link to my blog post.

https://rich.mcclear.net/2023/04/20/a-coda-of-sorts-lessons-learned/

This is such a valuable report - one for all of us to print out and keep in our own travel files.

Would you consider creating a new thread on just this topic, so more people can learn your valuable, and hard fought lessons?  Thanks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

This is such a valuable report - one for all of us to print out and keep in our own travel files.

Would you consider creating a new thread on just this topic, so more people can learn your valuable, and hard fought lessons?  Thanks.

How would you recommend that I start it?  Under Holland America or as a general forum under Cruise Discussion Topics or Cruise Conversations.   I have only started one string before and that was a roll call.   I am willing to do it I just want to put it where it will help the most people 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Captain Ricky said:

I am willing to do it I just want to put it where it will help the most people 

Consider the Insurance forum, in that case. Other general forums you suggested would also be good. 
Perhaps you could ask a moderator for advice as to which forum would be most appropriate to reach the best audience. 

I have read every post to your blog and enjoyed it very much. I am sorry for what happened to you, of course, but glad you were able to get to a port when you could get the help you did. A unique experience for any patient, to be sure! 

I wish you well on your current recovery, and wonder if you will ever want to take a World Cruise again. 
Thank you for the advice you gave in your post to this thread. It was helpful. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Consider the Insurance forum, in that case. Other general forums you suggested would also be good. 
Perhaps you could ask a moderator for advice as to which forum would be most appropriate to reach the best audience. 

I have read every post to your blog and enjoyed it very much. I am sorry for what happened to you, of course, but glad you were able to get to a port when you could get the help you did. A unique experience for any patient, to be sure! 

I wish you well on your current recovery, and wonder if you will ever want to take a World Cruise again. 
Thank you for the advice you gave in your post to this thread. It was helpful. 

Oh, absolutely I want to do it again.  If I get an OK from the docs I will give it another try.  Right now we are booked for the 2024 but are looking seriously at the 2025 Pole to Pole just announced.  If we do that we may drop the 2024.  On the other hand I am not getting any younger.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Captain Ricky said:

Oh, absolutely I want to do it again.  If I get an OK from the docs I will give it another try.  Right now we are booked for the 2024 but are looking seriously at the 2025 Pole to Pole just announced.  If we do that we may drop the 2024.  On the other hand I am not getting any younger.

Go for it, none of us are getting any younger (spoken by someone who has a birthday coming up this week.)

56 minutes ago, Captain Ricky said:

That Pole to Pole itinerary is pretty close to land a large portion of the time. Unfortunately, a lot of that land isn't too close to well equipped medical facilities. 

I love the Pole to Pole itinerary, and am tempted, but like you, I'm not getting any younger, either. I do know I want to continue to get older, though, so it's something to think about. 

Good luck with your decision, and I do wish you the best. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RuthC said:

That Pole to Pole itinerary is pretty close to land a large portion of the time. Unfortunately, a lot of that land isn't too close to well equipped medical facilities. 

I love the Pole to Pole itinerary, and am tempted, but like you, I'm not getting any younger, either. I do know I want to continue to get older, though, so it's something to think about. 

Good luck with your decision, and I do wish you the best. 

I am also looking longingly at the pole to pole. Have done parts of it years ago. And my age is also counting against me. But I would love to go back to some of those places and there are new ones. Decisions, decisions..... and I need a crystal ball.

Susan

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Captain Ricky said:

How would you recommend that I start it?  Under Holland America or as a general forum under Cruise Discussion Topics or Cruise Conversations.   I have only started one string before and that was a roll call.   I am willing to do it I just want to put it where it will help the most people 

Near the top  of the opening page, right hand side after you log on is a blue boxed  "start new topic" button.   You could title it 'What I learned from my own Zuiderdam medical evacuation". 

BTW: we had an overnight in Mauritius on another cruise line's Indian Ocean itinerary- shared one of those port days with the former HAL Amsterdam on her world cruise.  We left port at the same time, but after few minutes out the Amsterdam headed one way, and we another - tooting greetings as we two ships passed each other..... on into the night.

A wonderful low key port  with many nice surprises, including the only remaining skeleton of a Dodo bird in their museum, a lovely outdoor French restaurant near the embassy district, a vine-draped tropical central park for people watching, and one of the most expensive postage stamps in the world, protected behind heavy security glass. 

Happy to hear they provided you with excellent care. 

Edited by OlsSalt

14 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Near the top  of the opening page, right hand side after you log on is a blue boxed  "start new topic" button.   You could title it 'What I learned from my own Zuiderdam medical evacuation". 

BTW: we had an overnight in Mauritius on another cruise line's Indian Ocean itinerary- shared one of those port days with the former HAL Amsterdam on her world cruise.  We left port at the same time, but after few minutes out the Amsterdam headed one way, and we another - tooting greetings as we two ships passed each other..... on into the night.

A wonderful low key port  with many nice surprises, including the only remaining skeleton of a Dodo bird in their museum, a lovely outdoor French restaurant near the embassy district, a vine-draped tropical central park for people watching, and one of the most expensive postage stamps in the world, protected behind heavy security glass. 

Happy to hear they provided you with excellent care. 

We really enjoyed Mauritius once out of the HDU and given the day furloughs from the hospital.  We also had a delightful lunch in French restaurant but ours was on a northern beach. Also enjoyed people watching.  I had a nice window by my bed overlooking a park.  Thanks for the suggestion on posting.

3 hours ago, Captain Ricky said:

We really enjoyed Mauritius once out of the HDU and given the day furloughs from the hospital.  We also had a delightful lunch in French restaurant but ours was on a northern beach. Also enjoyed people watching.  I had a nice window by my bed overlooking a park.  Thanks for the suggestion on posting.

I am one of those  country collectors - Travel Century Club -. Mauritius was my 100th country - according to their TCC list of countries - rather loose, but still it was my very early travel goal to finally reach 100 countries. Now well beyond that early 100 country goal, thanks to HAL.

So my favorite photo from Mauritius is just my feet on the ground, as soon as we left the gangway. #100! Mission accomplished. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

A little sensitivity, please, for OP and family who may still reading this thread. While I think we'd all agree the story link you posted is horrific, this is not really the time given how little time has passed from their loss. IMHO

• Like 7