Can I make an 11 am flight back home MIA to FLL

Anyislandwilldo

My return options from Miami are very limited.  Either I have to book a 7 am flight (not) or a very late flight.  I will be relying on someone to pick me up at the airport and I would hate to have them pick me upso late.  So, can I make an 11 am flight out of Fort Lauderdale from port of Miami?  I am Platinum so I can be the first off the ship.  

To maximize your likelihood you need to : have the ship arrive and clear customs efficiently. self-disembark efficiently and quickly, take a cab (to reduce, trying to find a specific driver/vehicle),have currency ready to pay the driver, be checked in with your aitline, TSA Pre or Clear, no issues with TSA, and a creed of no stops until at the gate.

One of the time vacuums is checking baggage at the airport, either curbside or inside.

Safe travels 

• Like 1

For an 11:00 flight you need to be at FLL NLT about 9:30 (earlier is better - especially if you do not have TSA pre-check).  With the ride taking about 45 minutes that translates into off the ship, with bags, and clear of customs and immigration by about 8:30 - then line up and take the first cab you can.  Expect the metered fare to be about $75+.  Tight, but achievable. 

• Like 1

On 4/2/2023 at 10:02 AM, Anyislandwilldo said:

My return options from Miami are very limited.  Either I have to book a 7 am flight (not) or a very late flight.  I will be relying on someone to pick me up at the airport and I would hate to have them pick me upso late.  So, can I make an 11 am flight out of Fort Lauderdale from port of Miami?  I am Platinum so I can be the first off the ship.  

I’m doing this later this month with a 10 am flight. Obviously I wouldn’t hesitate to book 11 am. I’ve done a 8:45 flight out of FLL but that ship docked in FLL. You should be fine unless your ship is delayed.

• Like 1

Our personal record was an 8:45am flight out of FLL after arriving at the port of Miami. 

But everything aligned perfectly:

- We were out of our cabin by 6:30am and had all of our luggage with us for self assist.

- ship was cleared promptly before 7:00am

- short lines at customs. 

- we requested an Uber. Driver showed up literally in 60 seconds.

- No traffic that early in the morning on a Sunday.

- Once in the Uber, I realized that we’d be in FLL by 7:45am, so I got on my phone and listed on the standby list for the earlier flight, checked in and got our mobile boarding passes.

- At the airport, bypassed the ticket counter and headed straight to security (all of our luggage was carry on)

- short lines at the security checkpoint

- We were at the gate by the time boarding started.

- back home before our original flight was even supposed to depart.

So it’s doable to get on an early flight, including 11:00am. Just make sure that all of your ducks are in a row and have in the back of your head a backup plan of action should you miss your flight. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tapi said:

Our personal record was an 8:45am flight out of FLL after arriving at the port of Miami. 

But everything aligned perfectly:

- We were out of our cabin by 6:30am and had all of our luggage with us for self assist.

- ship was cleared promptly before 7:00am

- short lines at customs. 

- we requested an Uber. Driver showed up literally in 60 seconds.

- No traffic that early in the morning on a Sunday.

- Once in the Uber, I realized that we’d be in FLL by 7:45am, so I got on my phone and listed on the standby list for the earlier flight, checked in and got our mobile boarding passes.

- At the airport, bypassed the ticket counter and headed straight to security (all of our luggage was carry on)

- short lines at the security checkpoint

- We were at the gate by the time boarding started.

- back home before our original flight was even supposed to depart.

So it’s doable to get on an early flight, including 11:00am. Just make sure that all of your ducks are in a row and have in the back of your head a backup plan of action should you miss your flight. 

Thanks for providing such a detailed answer.  Appreciate it!!

• Like 1

We are stuck with a similar situation. Ours is based on money and need. I was hoping to be able to cancel FTTF, but with the 11AM flight we are keeping it. There are so many people here that will say "never", "you'll be sorry", "why vacation with so much stress".

When you speak to the people that did it and how simple it is, it is refreshing knowing you are going to make the 11AM flight out of FLL. Everything hinges on the ship arriving to port on schedule. If that doesn't happen, many of the 1PM people may miss their flights too. This is what we have done to be prepared:

1. Self Debark with FTTF
  2. Uber/Lyft
  3. TSA Precheck
  4. Boarding passes ready on your phone

Assuming no marathons, road closures, asteroids taking out the highways, etc, 11AM is very doable and not much stress. Just be mentally prepared in case something happens and you have to deal with Standby.

6 hours ago, nhraformula00 said:

cruise ships get delayed for 1 thing or another and you will be kicking yourself.

And just the same number if not vastly more, they debark earlier. You'd be kicking yourself more spending that extra $1,000 more for the flights while you see the 11AM flight take off 90 minutes after you make it to the airport. Sitting there wondering how you let $1,000 go like that. The downside for missing the flight is you have to do standby. You deal with it and live with it. For $1,000, I can do a lot of dealing with it.