Is the infirmary equipped for afib?

1 hour ago, spleenstomper said:

Maybe your doc will send you with some Fleccanide? My EP loves that drug and can usually get people to convert with it. It’s a pill.

Thank you. She already has those pills too. Cardiologist said between the diltiazem and the flecainide, they were supposed to get her back in sinus rhythm and keep her out of the E.D.

She sees the cardiologist on the 24th and we are supposed to leave on the 29th for our cruise if the doctor gives her the OK. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Thank you. She already has those pills too. Cardiologist said between the diltiazem and the flecainide, they were supposed to get her back in sinus rhythm and keep her out of the E.D.

She sees the cardiologist on the 24th and we are supposed to leave on the 29th for our cruise if the doctor gives her the OK. 

Good luck to you!

21 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Is she able to get a Cardio Ablation? I had A-fib, finally I got the Ablation a few years ago & since then I have only gone into A-fib twice for very short times.Because of the cruises that I do, my Dr. put me on Dronedarone. I was put on Metoprolol, but it put me into Bradycardia. I always worry Mr. A-fib will come to visit me on a cruise. Hope for the best for her.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, hannibal54 said:

Is she able to get a Cardio Ablation? I had A-fib, finally I got the Ablation a few years ago & since then I have only gone into A-fib twice for very short times.Because of the cruises that I do, my Dr. put me on Dronedarone. I was put on Metoprolol, but it put me into Bradycardia. I always worry Mr. A-fib will come to visit me on a cruise. Hope for the best for her.

Thank you so much for your well wishes.

There has been talk of an ablation but the doctors said that is little further down the road.

May Mr. Afib never visit you or anyone on a cruise.

• Like 3

On 4/11/2023 at 4:23 PM, abby1257 said:

I was diagnosed with Afib 5 years ago...I am 66 and know all about it.  My afib was paroxysmal...had a mind of its own....I was put on metoprolol  and a blood thinner of course....when I ended up in the hospital with pneumonia covid, it affected my afib and they couldn't get the heart rate down until they put me on Amiodorone ....anyways...all was well ...I decided to have the cardiac ablation.....WOW....I am off all heart rate meds, still take blood thinner ....but have NEVER FELT BETTER....it's been 5 months and I have not had 1 episode of afib...my family and cardiologist drs said...take your meds and enjoy your vaca....(even before i had the ablation)....she will hopefully be fine...:)...Is she on medication for the afib?

Good luck! My husband is almost 6 years post ablation and is considered a “success”. Though it could always come back and is never guaranteed. His a fib too also had a mind of its own. The longer you can go post ablation without an episode is a high indicator of success. You’re already almost to the first milestone of 6 months.  Hope you continue to get great results. It has been life changing for my husband. 

For the Op, talk to your cardiologist or electrophysiologist. Our electro who did my husbands ablation had no issues telling us to go ahead and cruise in September after a July ablation. We’re in our 40s for reference. However, he recommended getting and traveling with an Omron brand blood pressure cuff that has the built in irregular heartbeat detector. Just to give us peace of mind or be able to know we needed to seek medical help. We now are stepping it up to travel with a much smaller device called a Kardia mobile that interacts with smart phones.  We definitely seek travel insurance that makes sure we have preexisting condition  coverage. And if you’re going to any beaches, make your wife wears water shoes…you do not need a foot cut on blood thinners. 

Thank you....my electrophysiologist labelled me..."a success"....so i am going to cross my fingers....I have gone into afib on a cruise before my ablation....but like I said...my afib had a mind of its own ....it stayed for about half hour and then left....I will always get pre-existing on my insurance coverage....Good luck

• Like 1

Interesting thread!

I haven't cruised in eight yrs. now,

and in that time I had myself a STEMI (May 2020)

I now take a bunch of tablets every day, and I take it easy.

This thread makes me wonder about a few things...

Just an observation, sorry....

TIME is Muscle -2.jpg

• Like 1

And by the way...all you cardio-people..

I have this amazing cardio-educational App on my phone

and on the iPad...

it is issued by the American College of Cardiology

for the purpose of educating us lay-people

to explain to us, graphically, what's going on in there!

CardioSmart Explorer

My cardiologist thanked me..
saying "Thanks for bringing this to my attention!"

I've learned a lot from it,

have turned-on many others to it,

and use it every now and then, to show folks this and that.

https://www.cardiosmart.org/content/cardiosmart-heart-explorer-app

169766613_327811762044728_4853079101452364509_n.jpg

• Like 2

My wife says I now rattle when I walk

due to the cardio-meds I take, post-STEMI.

I swallow about 8 pills a day (and night)
but WTH they keep me alive so I can cruise again, some day!

And by the way:

Heart Attack and Stroke are the same thing -

Cardio-Vascular Disease.   One manifests in the heart..

the other.....in the brain.

Regimen.jpg

• Like 1

i am a paramedic and have several friends who work as medics on various lines and ships. one friend on a carnival cruise ship currently working states they have several different meds for treatment of afib. he could not speak to how your insurance would pay for the infirmary care as it is "outsourced through a shell company".

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2023 at 6:15 AM, Illbcruzn4life said:

Wondering if the infirmary was able to deal with somebody going into afib?

would they have the required meds? We cruise in less than a month and with my wife going into afib on Saturday got me to thinking about this.

I'm a nurse and cruise often. This is a good question and I've thought about it for a long time. haha! But I would guarantee they would transfer your wife off if she went into Afib and became unstable. They wouldn't want to cardiovert due to the risk of throwing a clot. Are they capable? Yes. Would they? Probably not unless her BP was low. They can run full codes, intubate and do small operations. lol. They are definitely "capable". Whether or not they have Amiodarone or Cardizem type meds for after a cardioversion is a mystery. 

• Thanks 1