Just off Elation - Mar 30-Apr 3

Sabalon

Write this up while it's all mostly fresh in my head.

This was the first cruise for the wife and I since 2019.  It was a last minute (okay...Maybe late Jan/early Feb) idea.   Out of Jacksonville with stops in Freeport and Nassau.   This was the first less-than-5 day cruise we've taken.   

We're south of Atlanta, so drove down and stayed at the La Quinta Jacksonville on Butler Blvd - do not recommend.  Place needs a lot of TLC and I was happy to be out of there.  Ended up having breakfast at Another Broken Egg not far from there...really good.  We then headed up to the port (after a stop at a CVS to find a better color lip-balm with sunscreen.)   Being from Atlanta, I looked at Jacksonville on the map, and I see a beltway road and figured a nightmare.  JAX has 1/4 the population of the Atlanta metro area...so yeah...we got there pretty early.   We had a 10am boarding time and FTTF (so we ignore the boarding time).   Weather was beautiful for waiting, and staff were wonderful in helping.   Dropped our bags, waited a bit, first through security, first to check in... which really meant nothing, but was just weird.  Am starting to see the wisdom in the people that show up at 1:30 🙂

A short wait in the terminal, talked to a 7 year old girl sitting next to me,  with a stuffed turkey doll that they just got before the cruise.  She was very proud of it.   She was also excited to go swim with the dolphins - hope it went well for them!   But around 10:45 or so they started boarding, and probably by 11:10 we had our carry-ons in our room.   Our room looked ready, but  we honored the "drop your stuff and get out" until 1:30.   Just nice to be unencumbered on Lido.

Went up to get my traditional mojito to start with...staff member offered me the special of the day (bahama mama), told him nope...wanted a mojito...he told me but mojito isn't the special drink of the day.   Yup...it's all business.   Had a guy burger, walked around a bit, etc...  hung out on Serenity in the shade.   Shoved off and had the nice short river cruise you get from Jacksonville, put phones on airplane, and then all downhill....(for me)

I get motion sickness and usually take ginger pills and have no problems...but something about this trip - be it the ocean conditions, or perhaps that the ginger pills were from before our last cruise in 2019 and not potent anymore, but I started getting ill from the get-go.   I tried to not let it bother me too much.  We had our dinner, and kinda had an early evening.     

Freeport arrival was noon.  Overslept - meant to get up to beat the breakfast lines...that didn't happen, but still had some Blue Iguana breakfast and an omelet.    Both we VERY good.  Hung out on the back of the ship for a bit and then went to get ready for our excursion.   Banana Bay - will write that up elsewhere under excursions - was nice.  Good driver telling us all about Freeport, and a nice resort.  Service wasn't slow - but getting someones attention to get started could take a bit.  Looks like most people ignored the "no alcohol beyond this point" sign.   But a lovely location with good food.  Got back to the ship, took a breather, had dinner, saw the comedy show (Aaron Thomas?  hilarious).  Just randomly wandered around and then went back to the room to consider the merits of spray on vs rub on sunscreen ( just call me lobster).  Did make it to the liquor tasting which was nice to see something other than rum on the table.

Nassau arrival as early - I like to watch us pull in there, but they got there earlier than usual and by the time I got up topside, they were doing a 360 in the bay area to back in.  Early on-shore time meant more people at breakfast early.   But illish or not, got down some pancakes and another omelet.  We had an early excursion - "Must See Nassau" - would not recommend.  Driver was great talking about the island, but it was basically an overpriced taxi service to take you from one gift shop to another.  Samples promised in the description were minimal.  I know it drives business to the stores, but several seemed put-out by it.  And the bus ride - lot of stop and go and hills with a stick shift - did I mention the motion sickness.   Initially we planned to eat back in town, but I just wanted to go back to the boat and die for a bit.    That was around 2pm on Saturday.  I didn't leave the room again until 10am Sunday.  Wife enjoyed the Epic Rock show and did some other things, or sat up on Serenity.  She brought me a gourmet meal of three pieces of bread!  

Sunday Sea Day was spent either at meals, trivia or me napping in the room and wife reading elsewhere.      Monday morning, early self-disembark, and we were on the road back home by probably 8:10am.

The Good

Despite not feeling it, I will say that there was just a constant positive vibe.  Guests were friendly with each other, random casual conversation, on deck, at meals, waiting for the elevator.  Everyone was in a great mood.

It was Spring Break - didn't think about it when we booked it (even though my wife works at a school and is off this week for spring break - duh).  But this seemed to be more families that were off for spring break instead of college kids.   

The staff - as always very friendly and helpful.  The Fun Squad entertainment staff did a great job as well.  It was the Cruise Director's (LiA) first contract but you'd think she was a long time veteran.     Staff the first night at the restaurant (your time dining) - you'd think he was getting paid per plate he brought out - kept asking if we wanted something extra, something instead.    Not used to that.

Got to try the deli which I never had before - Cuban was very good.  Still have not had the Pizza.

Had dental work the week before the cruise...now feel better about smiling for the ever present PIxels staff.

The so-so

Just some minor things that seemed off.   In the past, if I set a plate down and went to get water, there'd be a chance of the plate being cleared before I got back.   Noticed a lot of tables would have plates sitting on them for quite a while.  Tables would get scarce.  

We just hit gold status, and should have had two bottles of water in the room - we did not.  We don't normally use them so didn't say anything about it, but first time that's happened.  Also, the fridge in the room did not work...they never work well, but this one was not-at-all.  The bottle of wine we were going to keep in there, we never got to so we just left it for them to dispose of how they best see fit.  

Elevators - some were out of service constantly - I think staff were using them with a key override.  And some of them would skip decks - we were on scum...er..Riviera deck.  It'd go from 7->6->5->3->5->...  weird.  

Pizza Pirate - despite everywhere I turned there was someone with slices of pizza, there never seemed to be anyone that station or pizzas out.  Bad timing I guess...just seemed weird.  Heard other commenting about no one being there too.

Some of the places they try to hold trivia just don't work - either no seating, or too noisy with the bars.   A limitation of the Fantasy class, but I'm sure they could figure something out better than what this was.

The Not So Good

Not going to call it bad - it's my opinion of things.  But that initial "But mojito isn't the drink of the day" kinda tainted me as to how I viewed a lot.  I noticed that a lot of the announcement of things coming up were ship store related, or bingo related, or basically "here is where you can next spend money".  I know it's a business, but it's something I never paid much attention to before.  The excursion in Nassau was the same thing.  Not that our sign-and-sale cards didn't get a workout but it just seemed pretty blatant.

The dental work - because I encouraged the wife to take some pics - well, we bought some, and also had a damn good laugh at some of us.   

I was surprised to see that with the App the ship was still printing all the pics out and hanging them up.  Also with the app, the fun times and so much information just seemed such a waste of resources to me.  And the app - annoying that in only half-works in ports if you're not on their wifi - want to be able to see events, menus etc to make decisions.  Seemed hit-or-miss.   And also, come off the $5 to use it to communicate.  You have the wifi installed, I'm sure most of the data doesn't leave the ship - stop nickel-and-diming.

And finally under the bad - I'm playing a game now that we're home called "Is it c. diff, norovirus, or something else?"  

Was it a bad trip? No... I just had an unlucky time.

• Like 2

Carnival's new business model is to fill the ships at all costs - and soak them for as much as you can get once they get onboard. Drinks, bingo, photos, I've noticed the selling is much stronger than before.

Still possible to get off the ship with a $0 balance? Sure!

• Like 4

Next time you are in Nassau (and you know you will be there again😅) try walking or cabbing up to John Watling's Distillery for the BEST ever pina colada!  There is also a food truck.  Walk a block or so over to where Graycliff chocolates, cigar, wine tasting and the hotel is.  Pretty, colorful umbrellas are hanging above the street.  

IMG_5360.jpg

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Next time you are in Nassau (and you know you will be there again😅) try walking or cabbing up to John Watling's Distillery for the BEST ever pina colada!  There is also a food truck.  Walk a block or so over to where Graycliff chocolates, cigar, wine tasting and the hotel is.  Pretty, colorful umbrellas are hanging above the street.  

IMG_5360.jpg

I love that you are their ambassador here, I stopped there twice last year on your recommendation, and it is a place we will stop every time we're in Nassau from here on out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

IMG_5360.jpg

You just described our typical visit to Nassau!!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

IMG_5360.jpg

Good to know. I usually don’t get off the ship in Nassau but this sounds like it’s worth a try.

OP, thanks for the review. It seems like the smaller ships are always very friendly. I feel that way whenever I am on Paradise too.  Sorry about the motion sickness! That is a bummer! Have you tried sea bands? Those work great for my son. 

• Like 2

On 4/3/2023 at 7:13 PM, ninjacat123 said:

Next time you are in Nassau (and you know you will be there again😅) try walking or cabbing up to John Watling's Distillery for the BEST ever pina colada! 

The horrid excursion in Nassau went there.  By that time I was in full "I want to go home" mode, but they gave us a VERY small sample and it was VERY good.    We got to do a 15 minute tour of the place which was neat.  I didn't try the food, but others in our van did and said it was good - smelled good.   Would love to have time (and health) to go back there!!!   and LMAO off at "you know you will be there again!!!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I forgot that my luggage wasn't delivered.  Due to us being early, mine was literally the first bag given to them.  Kept checking the hall and no bag. 

My wife went up to Guest Services around 7p to figure out what was what.  They asked if it was one of about 12 off to the side of Guest Services.   They paper tag must have come off at some point.  They had put a debarkation plastic tag on it, that had my name and room number written in (probably looked it up from the name on the luggage tag on the suitcase). 

Don't know why they had it there - could be they were just finishing figuring out whose was whose and didn't get it down yet, or perhaps they want guests to verify it's theirs.   They asked if my wife wanted someone to deliver it, but she said nah and just wheeled it down.    

Very very minor problem - but if not for that, I'm sure my t-shirt and athletic shorts in the MDR would be the subject of someone else's post 🙂

• Haha 3

On 4/3/2023 at 7:13 PM, ninjacat123 said:

IMG_5360.jpg

Agree on the pina coladas!  The first time I tried one was on a 3rd party excursion that stopped at the Distillery.  It was very good, but if I remember correctly, it was also very expensive.  How much $$ do these run now?

On 4/3/2023 at 5:28 PM, Sabalon said:

I get motion sickness and usually take ginger pills and have no problems...but something about this trip - be it the ocean conditions, or perhaps that the ginger pills were from before our last cruise in 2019 and not potent anymore, but I started getting ill from the get-go.   I tried to not let it bother me too much.  We had our dinner, and kinda had an early evening. 

I have seen a lot of Facebook posts about motion sickness on this ship recently.  I think one was even from your sailing.  Someone commented something about the gulf stream at this time of year or something, so that may have been another contributing factor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dlphn501 said:

Agree on the pina coladas!  The first time I tried one was on a 3rd party excursion that stopped at the Distillery.  It was very good, but if I remember correctly, it was also very expensive.  How much $$ do these run now?

I remember 2 for $24, I think.   

• Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing, I'll be on her 4/22-5/1 for a B2B. I'm going to guy sea bands tomorrow (I set my phone reminder as I keep forgetting). The cruise that got off 4/13 had a horrible time with sickness as there was a storm. I always take Meclizine but that work if you can't keep anything down. I hope you're all better now! Oh and just to let you know you can get your free water at any bar and you can get your free drink after 5 on your last day at any bar or in the MDR. You have to go to Pixels to get your pin. We had gotten an email reminding us, they changed it after Covid.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for taking time to post your review of the elation.

We enjoy the fantasy class ships because they are smaller and easier to get around on. When we first started sailing on Carnival both of their ships were under 25,000 tons. Today's Mega ships would be impossible for DW and I to get around on and enjoy. The Elation is probably the next ship on the chopping block, hope we get to sail her before it takes the final voyage to Turkey. (Booked for 10/16/23)