P&O Arvia K307 - Not the experience we were expecting

gary_w

5 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

I like meat in my dish and I can’t do sushi. 

I had one of the vegetarian dishes in the MDR on Iona last cruise, a very tasty pie. I am not unduly concerned about always having meat, just as long as the food is appetising.

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Hmm ...  Pray do tell what special knowledge I may have to make calls on.  I have a husband who will not sail P&O anymore because of our Christmas incident mentioned elsewhere so I'm currently on my own on P&O using up all the FCC.  

As I said, I've never had any problems dealing with P&O if a matter is genuinely worrying. Maybe that's because I try to be tactful and deal only in facts.  Megastar (hoping that you're not being sarcastic here) I am not I'm afraid but I will where necessary fight for the rights of others if I can see an injustice. That doesn't make me any less likely to get the rubbish cabin or be  unable to get into a show or whatever, I get the same treatment as most others.  As for the magic "P" which has caused you joke about it, I've no idea what it means and to date no one else does either. 

Meanwhile I just carry on like everyone else.

Just predictive text gone wrong sorry!

3 hours ago, Ardennais said:

They might have more staff for the clubs. However, when I posted after our February half term cruise on Iona that they were understaffed, someone replied by saying that all the crew berths were full, and that it was therefore fully staffed

We had no option but to cruise during school holidays at one time as I was still teaching and our children were still in school. The offering should be the same, regardless. 

I agree, for a family holiday we can only go in the school holidays and tbh I am dreading it atm. 1 grandson with adhd and sensory issues, another who is probably the same but not yet diagnosed. When we booked it I did not think there would an issue getting them into the kids clubs, which they love, there had never been a problem before (pre covid). They are fine if they have enough to occupy them, and lots of diversion. I'll need another hoilday to recover.

On the subject of  crew berths, it seem there aren't enough of them

• Like 1

4 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Virgin don’t cater for kids who want instant food.

But kids will not be on Arvia and Iona all year round only during school holidays. It seems to me that P&O and your good self fail to see that and don't realise that for the rest of the year P&O will be relying on older cruiser's, especially those that don't work to fill these ships. Also those that cruise out of school holiday time might not want instant food and want to eat in MDR. I certainly don't want to cruise and eat burgers, pizzas and fast food all the time and I should imagine neither will majority of people who will be needed by P&O to cruise when kids are at school and parents at work.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

But kids will not be on Arvia and Iona all year round only during school holidays. It seems to me that P&O and your good self fail to see that and don't realise that for the rest of the year P&O will be relying on older cruiser's, especially those that don't work to fill these ships. Also those that cruise out of school holiday time might not want instant food and want to eat in MDR. I certainly don't want to cruise and eat burgers, pizzas and fast food all the time and I should imagine neither will majority of people who will be needed by P&O to cruise when kids are at school and parents at work.

But there are load of options that aren't fast food on Arvia and Iona ?

And outside of school holidays very few issues getting tables with table service ?

Just now, Interestedcruisefan said:

And outside of school holidays very few issues getting tables with table service ?

We don't actually know that for a fact.  The ships are now sailing at or very near capacity whereas before they weren't.  I'll let you know!!

• Like 2

The hotel manager summed up the problems on the new ships at the Peninsular lunch on Iona. She said "the reason we have to have pre booking for everything is because the venues on the ship are not big enough for the number of people wanting to use them" .   Enough said! 

• Like 5

Something that has occurred to me since posting earlier was whether the reported queues for the MDRs are predominately made up of couples requesting a table for two? 
We will be a party of five in August so that along with dining a little later than usual will hopefully work in our favour.

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Well done. That’s a brilliant result. It’s very encouraging to hear that even those of us needing an accessible cabin might have a chance with a last minute booking. We are on a wait list for an accessible balcony cabin for the 16 night Aurora cruise in May. I fear that our chances are nil.

To be fair, I did ask if there were any balcony cabins available, and would have shelled out a bit more; but they were all gone. The advisor put us on the upgrade list and, like I did in January, I'll be at reception on the first day.😉

You know all too well how stressful it is trying to book an accessible cabin, and almost every time you have to book as soon as the itineraries comes out, and pay more for the 'privilege'. Now I'm retired, we've decided that we will have a mix of 'must do' cruises which we would have to book early doors, and like you we are keen to sail with Saga, and last minute bargains. For the latter, if there was availablity great, if not, we haven't lost anything.

I really didn't expect there to be anything left when I called. It makes me hopeful for similar bargains in the future; more likely maybe on the bigger ships. Only time will tell.

Fingers crossed for you in May 🤞

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

We don't actually know that for a fact.  The ships are now sailing at or very near capacity whereas before they weren't.  I'll let you know!!

You are right MB, but that's not stopping lots of posters who have not yet sailed from detailing their concerns about the possibility of long queues. I think they need to reserve judgement until they have some experience of the situation, and only then pontificate on what P & O need to do to correct the problem, but then only if they have problems.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You are right MB, but that's not stopping lots of posters who have not yet sailed from detailing their concerns about the possibility of long queues. I think they need to reserve judgement until they have some experience of the situation, and only then pontificate on what P & O need to do to correct the problem, but then only if they have problems.

As I say, I'll hold judgment until I've tried it.  However the OP of this thread is onboard now and it doesn't sound much fun for them. Fingers crossed that P&O can see the problems and ease them as quickly as possible.  A summer of miserable cruises whenever they take place really would be bad for all concerned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Have just returned from Iona out of school holidays, so very few children. We had no problems whatsoever getting a table for 2 on every night we wanted and majority with no wait. Join virtual queue and table was ready by the time you arrive at restaurant. The issue is Iona has 4 MDRs where Arvia as 2 and not everyone wants or eats plant based meals. You say there are plenty of options of food but where are they if you don't want to or should have to pay extra to dine in evening. Unless missed something the only options available with no cost is buffet, the Quays or 360. Sorry but that is not lots of options and although Quays is a fantastic venue for occasional lunch wouldn't certainly want to go there every day, don't do buffets and certainly don't want to eat pizza, burger or hot dog in the evening sitting at a table next to the swimming pool. The main cause of problems is that Arvia has only 2 MDRs a plant based which is not for everyone and that there lies the problem with Arvia and cannot see it changing soon whatever time of year. So I fail to see as you say lots of options unless you pay extra and why should you have to that.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Have just returned from Iona out of school holidays, so very few children. We had no problems whatsoever getting a table for 2 on every night we wanted and majority with no wait. Join virtual queue and table was ready by the time you arrive at restaurant. The issue is Iona has 4 MDRs where Arvia as 2 and not everyone wants or eats plant based meals. You say there are plenty of options of food but where are they if you don't want to or should have to pay extra to dine in evening. Unless missed something the only options available with no cost is buffet, the Quays or 360. Sorry but that is not lots of options and although Quays is a fantastic venue for occasional lunch wouldn't certainly want to go there every day, don't do buffets and certainly don't want to eat pizza, burger or hot dog in the evening sitting at a table next to the swimming pool. The main cause of problems is that Arvia has only 2 MDRs a plant based which is not for everyone and that there lies the problem with Arvia and cannot see it changing soon whatever time of year. So I fail to see as you say lots of options unless you pay extra and why should you have to that.

On Arvia Olive Grove Mediterranean/Italian is table service and an alternative to MDR. It's free of charge.  As is 6th street diner free of charge as an alternative to MDR. Of course you may not fancy 6th street diner but it's very busy and  popular so takes away a large number of passengers who might have been in MDRs normally even  if you yourself don't fancy an American diner experience.

I think celebration nights might be the only trouble but they set up large areas of the buffet as "Chefs Table" with table service and even though I can't imagine why people would do a celebration night in a spruced up buffet restaurant if you actually read the reviews from people who've done that they appear to have really positive stuff to say about it believe it or not

What time do you like to dine Major Tom?

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

7 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I think celebration nights might be the only trouble but they set up large areas of the buffet as "Chefs Table" with table service and even though I can't imagine why people would do a celebration night in a spruced up buffet restaurant if you actually read the reviews from people who've done that they appear to have really positive stuff to say about it

People book to go to chefs table as they know they have a table whereas they might not get in at the MDR

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

People book to go to chefs table as they know they have a table whereas they might not get in at the MDR

Yes - makes sense. No queuing needed. 

And those asked to wait longer for MDRs on celebration nights get offered it rather than have a longer wait

Clearly they must make an effort to make it good based on reviews.

17 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

On Arvia Olive Grove Mediterranean/Italian is table service and an alternative to MDR. It's free of charge.  As is 6th street diner free of charge as an alternative to MDR

Unfortunately ICF, our original correspondent Gary informs us these are also unavailable due to the length of queues and bookings made before sailing.

I meant to ask you, is there the fish 'n chip place on Arvia the same as there is on Iona?  I understand that is extremely popular.

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I meant to ask you, is there the fish 'n chip place on Arvia the same as there is on Iona?  I understand that is extremely popular.

Part of The Quays, with Fusion and Roast

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Unfortunately ICF, our original correspondent Gary informs us these are also unavailable due to the length of queues and bookings made before sailing.

The Quays is like a mini food hall

Fish and chips, Asian and Cantonese and Carvery inside Yorkshire Puddings.

Plus buffet starters and desserts round the corner

(I know you will have no trouble at all Megabear with you liking to dine at 6pm. Anything that's booked up just ask the managers where they can fit you  in. We got a second booking for Epicurean when we left the first one that way. And a booking for Sindhu both of which  were sold out on the app. But asking if they could squeeze us in at 6pm worked both times we asked. We later cancelled Sindhu though. Can't remember why)

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

On Arvia Olive Grove Mediterranean/Italian is table service and an alternative to MDR. It's free of charge.  As is 6th street diner free of charge as an alternative to MDR. Of course you may not fancy 6th street diner but it's very busy and  popular so takes away a large number of passengers who might have been in MDRs normally even  if you yourself don't fancy an American diner experience.

I think celebration nights might be the only trouble but they set up large areas of the buffet as "Chefs Table" with table service and even though I can't imagine why people would do a celebration night in a spruced up buffet restaurant if you actually read the reviews from people who've done that they appear to have really positive stuff to say about it believe it or not

What time do you like to dine Major Tom?

Varies that is why we like freedom dining and after all that is the purpose of freedom. Cannot speak for 6th Street as there isn't one on Iona and Olive Grove is not completely free there are a lot of courses where you have to pay a supplement.

3 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

The Quays is like a mini food hall

Fish and chips, Asian and Cantonese and Carvery inside Yorkshire Puddings.

Plus buffet starters and desserts round the corner

(I know you will have no trouble at all Megabear with you liking to dine at 6pm. Anything that's booked up just ask the managers where they can fit you  in. We got a second booking for Epicurean when we left the first one that way. And a booking for Sindhu both of which  were sold out on the app. But asking if they could squeeze us in at 6pm worked both times we asked. We later cancelled Sindhu though. Can't remember why)

One really bad night in The Quays I had;

Starters

Fish and Chips

Followed by Roast (without the Yorkshire)

Followed by Chicken Katsu

Followed by 2 desserts

All that in less than 40 minutes

(Made sure I had a diet coke later to make up for it)

I felt it important to test everything that night

Most mornings I had full English followed by pancakes with chocolate, strawberry and whipped cream

Followed by a spin class!!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Olive Grove is not completely free there are a lot of courses where you have to pay a supplement

Oh dear, I wasn't aware of that and as a lover of all things Italian had hoped to dine there on several occasions.  

4 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

We loved the Quays. And it's good for breakfast as well.

One of the sections does full English. One does pancakes (and waffles I think). I only had pancakes. And one makes omelettes and poached eggs to order etc. 

I think our daughters would like The Quays for breakfast. Did you happen to notice what time window they offer breakfast?

8 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Varies that is why we like freedom dining and after all that is the purpose of freedom. Cannot speak for 6th Street as there isn't one on Iona and Olive Grove is not completely free there are a lot of courses where you have to pay a supplement.

Completely free on Arvia

Different to Iona. It's like an MDR in that respect. Speciality without extra charges.  We enjoyed it in there

If you ever want to dine at 6pm I think you will be able to book sold out restaurants with the managers a day or two before if you ask. As I said to Megabear. Worked for us when we aksed

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

3 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I think our daughters would like The Quays for breakfast. Did you happen to notice what time window they offer breakfast?

I seem to remember it started 7am at Quays. I think 6.30am in the buffet. Not sure when they both closed but I reckon they were both open til 10am ish at least. Possibly later.