New offers Virgin Voyage

Back to school

Interesting...but "UP TO $1200" doesn't mean you'll get that discount.  I repriced out cruise.  For us, it was a $500 discount for the airfare and they had removed a discount that was there as of yesterday.   The bottom line was a very minimal difference between yesterday's and today's price.

I was very excited to do a 7 day Venice to Venice cruise until I checked the airfare. $3500 to $4000 round trip Miami to Venice in economy plus. Ouch. 

Last year I bagged a Rt first class ticket on Air France for $3250. 

Oh my how times have changed. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, raphael360 said:

I was very excited to do a 7 day Venice to Venice cruise until I checked the airfare. $3500 to $4000 round trip Miami to Venice in economy plus. Ouch. 

I dragged a friend with me on some VV trips last fall (a person who had never travelled much at all before). I kept telling them: we need to take advantage of this (low prices/crowds), it's not gonna last.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AdoraBelle said:

I dragged a friend with me on some VV trips last fall (a person who had never travelled much at all before). I kept telling them: we need to take advantage of this (low prices/crowds), it's not gonna last.

Ditto, I have a cruise booked and was encouraging a friend to book the same sailing.  She was excited about bringing her adult daughter (as I do), etc.....but she decided to wait to book it.  The price is up by more than $1K over what I paid, and that is before looking at air.  And I got my Premium Economy air round trip BCN for $1100 per person.  I don't expect it will go any lower this summer.  The last time I looked, it was up to $3K

• Like 1

Be creative with airfare?   Our open-jaw return from BCN at the end of our eastbound TA  was ridiculously expensive -- ended up booked on SK via CPH on an open-jaw return (BCN - CPH - YYZ || YYZ ARN - AMS) that was pricing 510USD pp.  There are deals out there -- sometimes you need better tools to find them?   ITA Matrix is my goto.   https://matrix.itasoftware.com/search. The cruise air forum can be particularly helpful.  Scott. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, YXU AC*SE said:

Be creative with airfare?   Our open-jaw return from BCN at the end of our eastbound TA  was ridiculously expensive -- ended up booked on SK via CPH on an open-jaw return (BCN - CPH - YYZ || YYZ ARN - AMS) that was pricing 510USD pp.  There are deals out there -- sometimes you need better tools to find them?   ITA Matrix is my goto.   https://matrix.itasoftware.com/search. The cruise air forum can be particularly helpful.  Scott. 

Coming from the UK it’s the Miami to London one way flights that are expensive for us, with a return being half the cost of a one way flight.

fortunately we’ve got a lot of air miles points banked with Virgin and a one way flight is half the points of a return so much more sensible than cash flights. 
whereas one way Barcelona to London can be done for €50.

Ah, but from the US, we can schedule the other TA in 6 months and book a round trip.  I'm doing April and October 2023, so booked BCN to LAX and then the reverse in October.  The domestic flights are easy to book, although fares out of Miami on cruise days are ridiculous.  I can book a 6am flight for $150, but an afternoon flight is $350 or more.  We just try to book as soon as possible after the schedule is released.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

Ah, but from the US, we can schedule the other TA in 6 months and book a round trip.  I'm doing April and October 2023, so booked BCN to LAX and then the reverse in October

That’s a great idea! Didn’t even think that of doing that, maybe we will book the October TA as well as the April 2024 😁

1 hour ago, jon81uk said:

That’s a great idea! Didn’t even think that of doing that, maybe we will book the October TA as well as the April 2024 😁

I've done it a couple of times...just be careful of your dates and you'll be good to go.  It really helps with costs.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, jon81uk said:

That’s a great idea! 😁

We did the same.  We had previously scheduled HAL Rotterdam fall westbound TA and cancelled both in 2021 (US wasn't admitting Canadians yet) and 2022 on account of airline chaos through YYZ. Hopefully third time is the charm. Ended up with two nicely nested tickets -- YXU FLL return and my above open jaw, at a great price compared to one-way faring.  Scott.  

Edited by YXU AC*SE
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2023 at 8:00 AM, raphael360 said:

People have gotten too used to airfare prices that aren't profitable for airlines.

Greyhound charges $250 each way from Miami to New York...on a BUS!

$3,500 round-trip in Economy Plus isn't really that expensive if you look at what you're getting for the price. You can also book regular economy for under $2,000 (my guess) which is still a good price considering you're traveling over 10,000 miles round-trip.

Does anyone have a clue about if VV might bring back the buy 300 get 100 bar tab offer. We already have a trip booked. The current promo we booked is only for $50. Would we even be eligible for the additional bar tab if it was increased after booking?

17 minutes ago, scseas said:

Does anyone have a clue about if VV might bring back the buy 300 get 100 bar tab offer. We already have a trip booked. The current promo we booked is only for $50. Would we even be eligible for the additional bar tab if it was increased after booking?

I've never seen it less than $50.  I have heard of people being able to cancel it and rebook it if the bonus goes up.  Is this your first cruise?  Because if you have done 2 cruises from 1/1/22 to 4/30/24, you are a "Sea Rover" and get a $100 bonus thru 2024.  

One absolutely never knows what the next "special" will be but many cruises right now have a $600 "free" bar tab for 7 days and longer, $300 for 6 days and fewer.

7 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

I've never seen it less than $50.  I have heard of people being able to cancel it and rebook it if the bonus goes up.  Is this your first cruise?  Because if you have done 2 cruises from 1/1/22 to 4/30/24, you are a "Sea Rover" and get a $100 bonus thru 2024.  

One absolutely never knows what the next "special" will be but many cruises right now have a $600 "free" bar tab for 7 days and longer, $300 for 6 days and fewer.

First VV cruise. I booked with the points special mentioned on this board so no status matching available and no free bar tab either. That’s why I was asking about the possibility of getting a better bonus but it’s no big deal, especially because the trip is free! 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 8:44 AM, DaCruiseBug said:

Greyhound charges $250 each way from Miami to New York...on a BUS!

$0.63 will get your first-class letter from Key West to Nome Alaska (4530 miles).  Now that's a deal 🙂

On 4/14/2023 at 2:33 PM, cantgetin said:

Ah, but from the US, we can schedule the other TA in 6 months and book a round trip.  I'm doing April and October 2023, so booked BCN to LAX and then the reverse in October.  The domestic flights are easy to book, although fares out of Miami on cruise days are ridiculous.  I can book a 6am flight for $150, but an afternoon flight is $350 or more.  We just try to book as soon as possible after the schedule is released.

RT fares don't buy you as much as they used to.  The industry has gone to a segment pricing model.

My one way to BCN in 2022 was almost exactly the same price as round trip in 2023.  Yes, for domestic flights, we do one way bookings as prices are largely the same 2 one way = 1 round trip, but flexibility is greater.

• Like 2

On 4/12/2023 at 1:41 AM, cantgetin said:

Interesting...but "UP TO $1200" doesn't mean you'll get that discount.  I repriced out cruise.  For us, it was a $500 discount for the airfare and they had removed a discount that was there as of yesterday.   The bottom line was a very minimal difference between yesterday's and today's price.

That's disappointing. I guess that even though they claim to do things differently from other cruise lines, they still play the same games with promotions.

BTW, I also noticed that it does not apply to sailings out of San Juan.

On 4/11/2023 at 11:10 PM, Back to school said:

Interesting?

“We’re elevating your vacation far beyond sea level with a voyage credit of up to $1200 to offset your airfare and up to $600 in free drinks on sailings through April 2024 “

Yes, it is.  Virgin probably got first timers 🙂 .  Thanks for sharing.