New to MSC. Can you tell me all the things you like about it?

fluffybunny22

the status match is number 1 for us.we were elite on princess.we were on a family cruise on rrc hamony of the sea. it was so crowded. triva  peole were sitting on the floor everywhere.it was awful. so we try msc. love the ship, the shows,food was good. loved ,loved the private island and the  fact it stayed over night great.love that are next cruise is out of new york .but i have a wish list 1.better choices of shore excursions 2.fix the credit card mess at the begiing of the cruise . 3.get a few pop machines so bartenders arent over whelm all oft he time.

• Like 1

Well, Mrs./Ms. 'Bunny' - have just read through this thread, prior to my 2nd & 3rd cruises this year on MSC out of Southampton (England).

Must say I think the vast majority of comments are entirely fair-minded, & am delighted to see that many of them are most complimentary about MSC.

I'm English - we don't see eye-to-eye at all times with our European friends; but these cruises/ships, for the price charged, & my next 4 cruises (the two upcoming in May, + one in Nov. & one in Jan. '24) are with the Premium drinks package at maybe 60% of the price I'd pay for similar on other lines, are magnificent.

Enjoy !

• Like 1

Just 4 more items to add to ones list.

#20 No non-suite paying Pinnacle/Zenith/Diamond passengers taking up prime real estate

#21 Elevator over-ride key cards for suite guests

#22 Pristine out island with NO bugs crawling all over cabanas

#23 short distance between cabin and restaurant decks

3 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Just 4 more items to add to ones list.

#20 No non-suite paying Pinnacle/Zenith/Diamond passengers taking up prime real estate

#21 Elevator over-ride key cards for suite guests

#22 Pristine out island with NO bugs crawling all over cabanas

#23 short distance between cabin and restaurant decks

Can someone explain #21 to me? We are in a suite so this interests me. We don't really have any high status on another line to transfer over. We'll be in Europe so the private island doesn't interest me. We've done most of the Caribbean and don't have plans to do it again. We are on deck 11 forward so not sure how far we are from restaurants.

16 minutes ago, fluffybunny22 said:

Can someone explain #21 to me? We are in a suite so this interests me. We don't really have any high status on another line to transfer over. We'll be in Europe so the private island doesn't interest me. We've done most of the Caribbean and don't have plans to do it again. We are on deck 11 forward so not sure how far we are from restaurants.

Over-ride on Seashore Seaside and Seascape allow suite guests to go directly to their requested deck without stopping.

We sailed on the Celebrity Equinox, our cabin on deck 12, our suite Luminae restaurant deck 3. Crowded elevators and no over ride makes taking the stairs UP harder as one ages. So MSC YC has All 24 items on our check list.

We are just the opposite of you. We have done the world and it no longer interests us. We now just book the ship and only get off to stretch our legs. Status is trivial, just use for the 5% discount.

Edited by morpheusofthesea

19 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

#21 if I’m on deck 4 and get on an elevator and want to go to deck 7 and a suite person gets on deck 5 and wants to go to 15 it won’t stop to let me off?  That’s crazy. 

Before you get over your 'shock' I would wave my key card as I was getting off on deck 15 and ask you to press deck 7 for a nonstop back to your deck as a courtesy.

On the Seascape it is nuanced. Wave your key card and the screen would advise an unannounced elevator that will not light up and generally bring an empty elevator to whisk one to that deck non stop.No one but you will know which way and deck the elevator is going. I say generally unless another YC guest is in the elevator already. And the screen will tell you how long a wait.

YC has its advantages.

PS Even I with advanced age would not use the elevators for 2, 3 or even 4 decks up. ( Well maybe for 4 decks).

Edited by morpheusofthesea

On 4/16/2023 at 6:36 AM, fluffybunny22 said:

I just booked a June 2024 Norway cruise on MSC last night after I let my husband watch a couple episodes of Mighty Ships. We've never sailed MSC or really heard anything about it. A Viking ship is what got my husband interested in the itinerary but they don't sleep 3. We'll have our 21 year old son with us. I booked the easy plus drink package. Is that usually suitable or should we upgrade for those of us who drink? We like good food so hopefully the food is good. Don't mind paying for a specialty restaurant or two. I think the ship we have booked is the Preziosa (sorry if I spelled that wrong). Any advice anyone can give would be great. TIA.

Sailed the Divina for the 1st time in Feb...jury is out for me yet. Sailing Preziosa next month--we shall see.

What do I like?

Amazing prices, often no solo supplement.

Best pizza I've ever had. Anywhere.

Real scrambled eggs, 2x of fish (done better than dining room) & fresh sauteed veggies at buffet.

Some crew was AMAZING. Others--well, very European in their service. (I'm not criticizing Europeans but service is just different there)

Don't like?

LOOOONG dinners--2-2.5 hours min. I ate buffet most nights. Luckily it was quite good.

Not enough deck space/chairs for the number of people out there. And chairs were drug EVERYWHERE--difficult to get around in many places.

I found disorganization, lack of stocking of items for days ("we haven't been stocked from the stock room--WHAT?).

Stunned at the rudeness of passengers in many situations--did the cruise attract a different crowd with the lower price point? Are there cultural differences I'm not aware of? (I taught in very multi-cultural schools my entire career & have traveled a lot so I don't think this is it) I just haven't experienced this level of lack of courtesy on any other line.

Perhaps things were situational--I am reserving judgement until after next month's cruise.

I have heard that Yacht Club is AMAZING.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, fluffybunny22 said:

If you are in a YC suite then yes you can use this facility , priority lift call. MSC have suites that are not in YC  whether their key card has the same facility I am not sure but YC 100% .

On Grandiosa where they have the smart lifts we sometimes waited ages for the priority lift , it was always F , It would have been quicker just to take a regular one as the smart lift system is excellent . Oh , and the priority call only worked at YC end not the aft on Grandiosa which makes sense .

Been on MSC in Europe and in the US. Large family groups in both. Been on almost all other mainstream lines as well. 

1. It's a cruise! 

2. Pricing is usually very reasonable 

3. Good deals with inclusive drink packages and wifi are not hard to find

4. European flavor and style

5. Clean ships

6. Management staff on the ships were helpful.

7. Decent vegetarian options (we have a few in our group)

8. Fresh mozzarella and good pizza

9. Ocean Cay. Easy island to enjoy.

10. Decent children's activities 

11. Dinner is not rushed (for some that may be a negative) 

12. Croissants and coffee, especially while sitting on my balcony.

13. Nice aesthetics in design on interior areas. 

14. Hugo Spritz (try one if you haven't) 

15. Thermal area in the Aurea spa

16. Generally very attentive and helpful staff on board. 

• Thanks 1