LIVE from Radiance Apr. 21, 2023 - The Panama Canal - Canal au Niveau de la Mer

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Wow -- another from twangster! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

twangster was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

A cruise through the original Panama Canal is not just a cruise between two oceans, it is a journey through history.  

Join us live for 15 nights as we sail from Galveston to Los Angeles through the Panama Canal aboard the Radiance of the Seas.

Fri 21Apr2023       Galveston, Texas    -    4:00 PM    Boarding
Sat 22Apr2023      Cruising   
Sun 23Apr2023     Cruising   
Mon 24Apr2023    George Town, Grand Cayman    7:00 AM    6:00 PM    Tendered
Tue 25Apr2023     Cruising   
Wed 26Apr2023    Cartagena, Colombia    7:00 AM    5:00 PM    Docked
Thu 27Apr2023     Colon, Panama    9:00 AM    6:00 PM    Docked
Fri 28Apr2023       Panama Canal, Panama    6:00 AM    6:00 PM    Cruising
Sat 29Apr2023      Cruising 
Sun 30Apr2023     Cruising 
Mon 01May2023   Huatulco, Mexico    8:00 AM    6:00 PM    Docked
Tue 02May2023    Cruising 
Wed 03May2023   Puerto Vallarta, Mexico    12:30 PM    8:00 PM    Docked
Thu 04May2023    Cruising  
Fri 05May2023     Cruising  
Sat 06May2023    Los Angeles, California    7:00 AM    -    Departure

Canal au niveau de la mer - Sea-level channel.   The decision to pursue a sea level canal across the Isthmus of Darien may have been the single largest factor in it's failure.  

In the 1800's French diplomat and entrepreneur Ferdinand de Lesseps was an amazing character who conceived and completed the Suez Canal.  It was an outstanding success.  He was well known and respected as the "Great Engineer" despite having no formal technical training.  In the wake of the success of the Suez Canal when he announced he was taking on the task of completing a waterway across Columbia his declaration of a sea level canal was challenged by few.  The only problem was he had not yet stepped foot in the region.  Despite surveys that suggested otherwise, despite no real maps of the area, de Lesseps insisted on building a sea level canal.  It had worked quite well for the Suez Canal so why not?

It turns out the jungles of Columbia are nothing like the deserts of Egypt.  The idea of a canal au niveau de la mer turned out to be a tremendous mistake that led to one of the greatest scandals of the time and French investors, many being everyday citizens, lost their life savings.  

The failure of the French effort opened the door for the Americans to become involved and ultimately for a new country to be created. 

Today the Panama Canal is an amazing engineering marvel and equally great study of geopolitics.  The impact of America assuming the project and its successful completion is hard to calculate.  How the Panama Canal became what it is today is a fascinating story the likes of which are unlikely to ever be repeated in modern times.  Seeing it operate live should be on every cruisers bucket list.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

This will be my second time through the canal.  My first transit was from the Pacific to the Atlantic on Vision of the Seas.

I've been looking for an opportunity to do the transit in the other direction so when I saw a last minute deal for Radiance going from the Atlantic to the Pacific I knew I had to book it.

While we are traveling East to West in general terms our canal transit will actually be a Southerly one.  

• Like 2

Radiance has been upgraded to Starlink satellite internet but it's unclear how that's going to work out for us.  A number of countries in Central America haven't approved Starlink yet so the closest gateway cities are relatively distant.  

I am anticipating some challenges keeping this live along the full itinerary but am hoping for cellular backup to help in places.  

• Like 3

Will be following along. Have always loved your narrative reviews and great photos!

Currently on the Brilliance Panama Canal sailing from Ft Lauderdale to LA. Surprised how chilly (59°) it is today in Ensenada.

Like you, we did the eastbound PC route about 10 years ago. It was so convenient to sail from San Diego and enjoyed our pre-cruise stay there.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, long4acruise said:

Will be following along. Have always loved your narrative reviews and great photos!

Currently on the Brilliance Panama Canal sailing from Ft Lauderdale to LA. Surprised how chilly (59°) it is today in Ensenada.

Like you, we did the eastbound PC route about 10 years ago. It was so convenient to sail from San Diego and enjoyed our pre-cruise stay there.

How has your internet been along the way?

1 minute ago, twangster said:

How has your internet been along the way?

The internet has been great the entire cruise! I've been on my phone and tablet more than usual on a cruise as I had to take care of some legal and medical business for a family member.  Was able to do a Zoom meeting and 30-minute conference call with no drops! Only once did I have to re-log into my wifi account since my initial login.

• Like 2

Excursions

In the Caymans I've booked an excursion that will get me out on the water.  Some form of sailboat or catamaran is by go to Caribbean excursion so I picked the Seven Mile Beach Coastal Sightseeing Cruise and Swim excursion.

I'm really looking forward to getting back to Cartagena.   The last time there I did a comprehensive tour that went to many different attractions.  This time I'm simply heading to the walled city.  To get there I  was going to purchase HOHO tickets locally but I saw an excursion that includes a boat tour of Cartagena Bay so I'm paying a little more to get there by water.

Colon is the kind of port to book an excursion.  I've only see the new Panama Canal locks at a distance so I've booked an excursion that goes to the visitor center for the new locks.  

Huatulco is new port for me.  When in doubt get on a boat so I have booked a catamaran cruise with snorkel.  

For Puerto Vallarta I thought I'd try something different so it's an ATV excursion.  Our times in port didn't align with local excursion operators well so I'm skipping the sailboat here and staying on land.   

• Like 7

I'm solo on this cruise and I chose an interior cabin.  I'm fine with interior cabins and will use the money saved for excursions, dining, tips and some play money.  I've submitted some low RoyalUp bids but I'm not expecting anything to come from that.  

They don't offer the UDP dining package on long voyages like this so I picked a 10 night dining plan.  Between a few nights in the MDR and a few nights in the Windjammer the 10 night dining plan was a splurge since I saved quite a bit booking an interior at the last minute.   

Radiance still has Samba Grill and I know it won't be around for long so this is my farewell Samba approach.  I'll do a couple night in there with the rest split between Chops and Giovanni's.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, twangster said:

This will be my second time through the canal.  My first transit was from the Pacific to the Atlantic on Vision of the Seas.

I've been looking for an opportunity to do the transit in the other direction so when I saw a last minute deal for Radiance going from the Atlantic to the Pacific I knew I had to book it.

While we are traveling East to West in general terms our canal transit will actually be a Southerly one.  

I've only done one transit, so far.  Port Everglades to Valparaiso, Chile on Celebrity Infinity.

9 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I've only done one transit, so far.  Port Everglades to Valparaiso, Chile on Celebrity Infinity.

I've visited Valparaiso by air.  I like your method better 🙂

Edited by twangster
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, twangster said:

Radiance has been upgraded to Starlink satellite internet but it's unclear how that's going to work out for us.  A number of countries in Central America haven't approved Starlink yet so the closest gateway cities are relatively distant.  

I am anticipating some challenges keeping this live along the full itinerary but am hoping for cellular backup to help in places.  

I got off radiance april 6th and the best wifi was in the business center deck 7. We did colon Panama and Columbia but wifi did not work well often. Go sit near the router deck 7 by aft elevators. 

We had great Mdr service for a change. Food I thought was excellent and better than oasis. Fish crispy and steak cooked perfectly etc. I hope your service is as good as mine was. 

Cant wait as I just got off and had a very good cruise though one day rocking. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, twangster said:

Radiance still has Samba Grill and I know it won't be around for long so this is my farewell Samba approach.  I'll do a couple night in there with the rest split between Chops and Giovanni's.

We are going the 10 nights as well.  We were on Radiance in August and really enjoyed Samba Grill and wish other ships had it.  Doing one night at Chef's Table and probably the rest at Windjammer.  Have only eaten dinner at Windjammer one time, and only because an excursion came back very late

50 minutes ago, twangster said:

To get there I  was going to purchase HOHO tickets locally but I saw an excursion that includes a boat tour of Cartagena Bay so I'm paying a little more to get there by water.

Can you give details on this?  We were going to get a cab and go to the walled city, but this may be better.

37 minutes ago, twangster said:

Flying in the day before into Hobby airport.  I'll take a ride share down to my Galveston hotel.  I just need a bed for a night with an after dinner arrival time so nothing fancy.  

What do we tell the uber driver to end up at the correct port? Is the information in our RCI app?

1 hour ago, twangster said:

We were on Radiance just before StarLink in a corner aft and had great internet in the cabin and everywhere on the ship.  I probably did have to resign in once or twice a day.  Interested to see if it is now better or worse.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Excursions

Colon is the kind of port to book an excursion.  I've only see the new Panama Canal locks at a distance so I've booked an excursion that goes to the visitor center for the new locks.  

Looking forward to your review. Was disappointing when we cancelled Full Transit for this September coming . Booked a Greenland Cruise from Bayonne, NJ in place of it.

Feel better now since  later found out the Full  Transit we would have been doing was going through the Old Canal again rather then through the New Canal since we had all ready been through the old one years ago.

I look forward to see whatever pictures you can get of the New Canal.

Edited by Jimbo

1 minute ago, ZOOM ZOOM & BEYOND said:

What do we tell the uber driver to end up at the correct port? Is the information in our RCI app?

I googled the address and gave uber the address on 10th street. I believe the 14th street address is the parking area some drop off. It's in my uber app I can look if you cant find it. Uber I read isnt supposed to be official until may 1st but it's been approved now. 

5 minutes ago, StanleyandGus said:

I am looking forward to this review- we are doing Miami to LA in November on Serenade!

Do you have any recommendations for books on the history of the canal?

The Path Between the Seas by David McCullough is my favorite so far.  

There are some videos available from sources like PBS, History Channel, Smithsonian, etc.  

Youtube has some full length features for no cost.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, ZOOM ZOOM & BEYOND said:

Royal Caribbean Terminal 10

1028 Harborside Dr, Galveston, TX 77550

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Can you give details on this?  We were going to get a cab and go to the walled city, but this may be better.

I booked it through Royal.

Amazing Cartagena Bay and Walled City

• Like 3