Dawn - Africa Cruises

foodsvcmgr

Looking at N. Dawn for 2025 Mauritius to Capetown.

I would have preferred the r/t Capetown to Namibia offered this season and last, anyone have any idea why they have changed the routing for ‘25?

Also has anyone taken one of the current Africa itineraries, curious for any comments and insight as I was last on the Dawn way back in 2004.

She's doing both itineraries in 2024. Maybe they haven't uploaded that r/t Capetown one yet, or you could adjust the date a bit to see if it's happening a different month. 

There was a recent review from the Jade doing one of these itineraries - https://www.worldofcruising.co.uk/editors-corner/south-africa-cruise-review-dave-monk?fbclid=IwAR0FjiXXkyT66aWIvbNOyX19Mbb822OFvm2pwiXDlh_y2u1AUUdBZOzp3ok

I took the Capetown RT cruise in December, although it was on the Jade, not the Dawn.  There were issues with some of the ports as well as immigration/customs delays.  So it's possible that NCL is having to rethink whether or not to continue with that itinerary.

But I did enjoy the cruise, thinking of going back but I would do a different itinerary, simply because I like to go new places.

4 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Thanks everyone, how were your bird and wildlife viewing opportunities in the South African ports?

I was happy with the wildlife, some had better experiences, some were very disappointed.  It's always the luck of the draw.  

I did the cape peninsula tour in Cape Town on the day we stayed there - it was excellent, the penguin colony was fun to visit. Did a similar tour post-cruise, on the way to the airport.  It happened to be a holiday and the crowds were awful, got to cape peninnsula and could only stay a few minutes, no time to take the funicular etc.

Took NCL tours to Botlierskop in Mossel Bay and Schotia in Port Elizabeth, nice sightings.  People who went to Aldo apparently didn't all fare as well.  Had a private tour in Hluhluwe and it was good, although raining. 

Took the seal and pelican cruise in Walvis Bay - it was fun (get the small catamaran if you can!).  Lots of seals, a few dolphins.  Also took the Birding tour - it was excellent!  Small groups, went by car.  Lots of flamingos, some pelicans and seals were everywhere.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, julig22 said:

I was happy with the wildlife, some had better experiences, some were very disappointed.  It's always the luck of the draw.  

I did the cape peninsula tour in Cape Town on the day we stayed there - it was excellent, the penguin colony was fun to visit. Did a similar tour post-cruise, on the way to the airport.  It happened to be a holiday and the crowds were awful, got to cape peninnsula and could only stay a few minutes, no time to take the funicular etc.

Took NCL tours to Botlierskop in Mossel Bay and Schotia in Port Elizabeth, nice sightings.  People who went to Aldo apparently didn't all fare as well.  Had a private tour in Hluhluwe and it was good, although raining. 

Took the seal and pelican cruise in Walvis Bay - it was fun (get the small catamaran if you can!).  Lots of seals, a few dolphins.  Also took the Birding tour - it was excellent!  Small groups, went by car.  Lots of flamingos, some pelicans and seals were everywhere.

I was on the Athens-Cape Town cruise in Nov/Dec.  Wildlife excursions were wonderful in Souith Africa! especially the Hluhluwe.

IMG_6088.JPG

IMG_6107.JPG

IMG_6116.JPG

IMG_6123.JPG

IMG_E6055.JPG

IMG_E6064.JPG

IMG_E6100.JPG

IMG_E6109.JPG

IMG_E6114.JPG

IMG_E6128.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Debating this sailing for 2026, Baltic on the Dawn as well, or the South America / Antartica sailing.  After the horror stories from the Star and its sailing, or lack of to Antartica this past season, I'm conflicted.  Hoping the Africa sailing offers some safari like excursions.  I like the idea of going back to the boat, but definitely want to experience that wildlife if its going to be my only visit to Africa.

1 hour ago, PhillyTravelBug said:

Debating this sailing for 2026, Baltic on the Dawn as well, or the South America / Antartica sailing.  After the horror stories from the Star and its sailing, or lack of to Antartica this past season, I'm conflicted.  Hoping the Africa sailing offers some safari like excursions.  I like the idea of going back to the boat, but definitely want to experience that wildlife if its going to be my only visit to Africa.

I was planning this one in Covid and there were lots of safari-like excursions available then. I've just done the Santiago to Buenos Aires trip on the Star and that's well worth doing in its own right(although I saw the antarctica issues on the previous one and thought they handled it badly.) 

2 hours ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

I was planning this one in Covid and there were lots of safari-like excursions available then. I've just done the Santiago to Buenos Aires trip on the Star and that's well worth doing in its own right(although I saw the antarctica issues on the previous one and thought they handled it badly.) 

any of the two you prefer more?

7 hours ago, PhillyTravelBug said:

any of the two you prefer more?

I didn't get to do the South Africa one at the last minute because of the resurgence of Covid - finally doing a version in Jan. The South America one was great, but really stood out because of the Falklands, which can be hit and miss in terms of ships actually managing to land. It would be good but not great without it.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, PhillyTravelBug said:

Instead of hoping the Africa sailing has safari-like excursions, you could always fly in a few days early (or stay a few extra days depending on where Cape Town is in the order of ports) and do your own! We leave next week for our Cape Town sailing, and are booked for 5 days at Sanbona Wildlife Reserve a few hours north of Cape Town. They're also providing transportation so we don't have to rent a car. Like you, if this is my only trip to sub-Saharan Africa, I want to do ALL THE THINGS! (We're also going cage diving with sharks!)

• Like 2