montreal city hotels

star one

7 hours ago, star one said:

Looking for hotel in Montreal close to shopping   any suggestions??

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

As a life-long Montrealer, I would say that the geographical center of Montreal's largest principal downtown shopping district is the few square miles around  the intersection of St Catherine street and Peel street, the heart of downtown. Check it out on Google Maps. TONS of shopping and easy access to the underground city malls and the subway. There are a number of excellent large hotels very nearby, with the big Sheraton, the Queen Elizabeth and the Ritz Carleton coming to mind.

5 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

As a life-long Montrealer, I would say that the geographical center of Montreal's largest principal downtown shopping district is the few square miles around  the intersection of St Catherine street and Peel street, the heart of downtown. Check it out on Google Maps. TONS of shopping and easy access to the underground city malls and the subway. There are a number of excellent large hotels very nearby, with the big Sheraton, the Queen Elizabeth and the Ritz Carleton coming to mind.

Thank you. Maybe 30 years ago we stayed at the queen Elizabeth and  it was lovely. Except for a hike uphill.  It is now a fairmont     the rooms now look like a holiday inn. Very cold and modern. I will be there 4 nites so was looking for something with some charm

36 minutes ago, star one said:

Thank you. Maybe 30 years ago we stayed at the queen Elizabeth and  it was lovely. Except for a hike uphill.  It is now a fairmont     the rooms now look like a holiday inn. Very cold and modern. I will be there 4 nites so was looking for something with some charm

The QE is certainly a good bet, very close to the action. On the bright side, it may have been a hike uphill to get to the main shopping strip, but it's an equally easy hike DOWNHILL to get back ;o). There are probably 8 or 9 thousand hotels in the main shopping area per Google Maps, so have a look at the alternatives, I'm sure you will find something.  If you're after charm, as mentioned previously, Old Montreal is a great option, it's closer to the cruise port but farther from downtown.  A lovely area to walk around. At least a good half hour walk to downtown but very near the cruise port.

What's you're exact itinerary, dates, etc.  Four days opens up a lot of options.

9 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

The QE is certainly a good bet, very close to the action. On the bright side, it may have been a hike uphill to get to the main shopping strip, but it's an equally easy hike DOWNHILL to get back ;o). There are probably 8 or 9 thousand hotels in the main shopping area per Google Maps, so have a look at the alternatives, I'm sure you will find something.  If you're after charm, as mentioned previously, Old Montreal is a great option, it's closer to the cruise port but farther from downtown.  A lovely area to walk around. At least a good half hour walk to downtown but very near the cruise port.

What's you're exact itinerary, dates, etc.  Four days opens up a lot of options.

Looking at a HAL cruise in July from Montreal to Boston.  

We will be on the Zaandam, Boston to Montreal starting in late August and arriving in Montreal early September. We chose L'Hotel. Hopefully it works out. We will only be the one night there though. We will be taking the train to Ottawa the day after we disembark and fly home from there a couple days later.

We are flying to Bordeaux from Montreal on June 12th in early evening.   Having a hard time to find transportation from Ottawa to Montreal that day with good times etc.   We would like to drive from Ottawa to Montreal and park for 17 days.   There used to be hotels close to the airport where we could stay overnight and leave our car for the duration - not sure if there are any of those hotels left.

We want to park our Kia Soul for 17 days from June 12th to June 28th.   Any suggestions for reasonable place?

13 hours ago, mexico8 said:

We are flying to Bordeaux from Montreal on June 12th in early evening.   Having a hard time to find transportation from Ottawa to Montreal that day with good times etc.   We would like to drive from Ottawa to Montreal and park for 17 days.   There used to be hotels close to the airport where we could stay overnight and leave our car for the duration - not sure if there are any of those hotels left.

We want to park our Kia Soul for 17 days from June 12th to June 28th.   Any suggestions for reasonable place?

There definitely are hotels with park/sleep/fly packages available.

https://parksleepfly.com/montreal-airport-hotels-with-parking-yul

Best bet would be to Google Map the airport vicinity, locate all the suitable hotels you might be interested in, then use a site like Tripadvisor to search out each hotel and see if they offer the package. You would be best to use such a package if you can, as parking prices at the airport lots have become VERY expensive in recent years. And don't limit yourselves to "airport" hotels either, but look a bit farther afield to hotels in the West Island, as they may also have such packages as well as airport transfers. We no longer park at the airport, but use Uber, even from our remote Saint Lazare location, as it's far cheaper than parking at any of the airport lots.

Edited by lx200gps

2 hours ago, lx200gps said:

There definitely are hotels with park/sleep/fly packages available.

https://parksleepfly.com/montreal-airport-hotels-with-parking-yul

Best bet would be to Google Map the airport vicinity, locate all the suitable hotels you might be interested in, then use a site like Tripadvisor to search out each hotel and see if they offer the package. You would be best to use such a package if you can, as parking prices at the airport lots have become VERY expensive in recent years. And don't limit yourselves to "airport" hotels either, but look a bit farther afield to hotels in the West Island, as they may also have such packages as well as airport transfers. We no longer park at the airport, but use Uber, even from our remote Saint Lazare location, as it's far cheaper than parking at any of the airport lots.

Thank you for the information.   It looks like the cost will be over $300 for parking for the 17 days so I will keep looking.  

1 hour ago, mexico8 said:

Thank you for the information.   It looks like the cost will be over $300 for parking for the 17 days so I will keep looking.  

No problem. Another factor that should keep you from considering on-airport parking is the massive construction work that has been going on in the last few years. The covered garage is a nightmare, and some lots are closed or at partial capacity. Since you are driving down from Ottawa, you would probably be coming along the 40 through the West Island and there have been a number of new hotels being built through there that could work well for you. As one example, the new Marriott Courtyard on the 40 near Morgan Rd shows a Park and Fly package available, though it's only for 14 days so you'd have to discuss the extra few days with them. Best of luck in your search.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

No problem. Another factor that should keep you from considering on-airport parking is the massive construction work that has been going on in the last few years. The covered garage is a nightmare, and some lots are closed or at partial capacity. Since you are driving down from Ottawa, you would probably be coming along the 40 through the West Island and there have been a number of new hotels being built through there that could work well for you. As one example, the new Marriott Courtyard on the 40 near Morgan Rd shows a Park and Fly package available, though it's only for 14 days so you'd have to discuss the extra few days with them. Best of luck in your search.

Thanks again.   I will check it out.

Wendy

Another option to consider is the bus from the Ottawa VIA rail station to YUL. Depending on your actual flight time, you should be able to find a reasonable arrival time without too little or too much time before the flight. https://www.orleansexpress.com/en/

Something I used to do regularly, back when Mirabel was my airport for business flights to Europe, was to rent a car. Although that can be pricey with drop off fees, I'd ask if they had any cars from the airport that they'd like returned and often would get a decent price. Same thing on my return, I'd ask if they had any that needed returning to Ottawa.

I'm guessing that you live in the Gatineau area, so it might be more convenient renting one there instead of Ottawa, but I've not priced it out.

On 4/26/2023 at 11:50 AM, Fouremco said:

Another option to consider is the bus from the Ottawa VIA rail station to YUL. Depending on your actual flight time, you should be able to find a reasonable arrival time without too little or too much time before the flight. https://www.orleansexpress.com/en/

Something I used to do regularly, back when Mirabel was my airport for business flights to Europe, was to rent a car. Although that can be pricey with drop off fees, I'd ask if they had any cars from the airport that they'd like returned and often would get a decent price. Same thing on my return, I'd ask if they had any that needed returning to Ottawa.

I'm guessing that you live in the Gatineau area, so it might be more convenient renting one there instead of Ottawa, but I've not priced it out.

Thanks for the info.   I will check it out.  We are your ex-neighbours in Champlain Park on Port Royal (Wendy and Bob)

1 hour ago, mexico8 said:

Thanks for the info.   I will check it out.  We are your ex-neighbours in Champlain Park on Port Royal (Wendy and Bob)

Ah, of course Wendy. I knew that "mexico8" rang a bell, but I didn't make the connection. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I found an outside parking spot for the 17 days I needed it in June.   I googled "parking in Montreal near Dorval airport" and found a few people with parking spots.   Very reasonable prices as well.  I don't need a hotel for the dates, just the parking so it works out well for us.

• Like 1