Bottled Water Packages in Australia.

8 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Here’s a statement from section 5 of the Cruise Contract for our Round Australia cruise booked in USD…is the Cruise Contract statement the same when booking in AUD? Although like other policies enforcement can vary from their stated policy.

• Guests are also prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in Guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.  Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding.

That fits the policy that Carnival Australia applies to P&O and Carnival here, but it has never become that strict for Princess in Australia --- yet, anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yarramar said:

Why would they? Ship produced water is as pure or better than what you can buy in bottles.

Not just desalinated water in the tanks. Lots of good ole Sydney (or other homeport) water taken aboard on turnaround day. 

Without chlorine added to otherwise pure water, bacteria would thrive in the tanks, pipes and the water itself.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Except that they have to add chlorine to it to keep it safe to drink after circulating through the ship's reticulation system. Unfortunately I can't handle too much chlorine in drinking water these days. I use filtered water at home.

As a rule, I am not a fan of the waste created from bottled water, but I do dink it when travelling, for the same reasons. Adding water filtration at home 30 years ago was an awesome thing to do.

Last week, Barb excitedly showed me a new filtered water bottle she bought from Tupperware. I asked her - what about the Brita water bottles? Her response - are they filtered? Wow, we have been using them for 15 years. 😂

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, arxcards said:

I can't see this option for Majestic in November. I figured it won't show when we already have a drinks package?

I didn't have the drink package for either of these cruises so you're probably right.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yarramar said:

Thanks, guys, I didn't think about the chlorine and have decided to get this for travel (one each)

https://www.traveluniverse.com.au/Fill2pure-Stainless-Extreme-Filter-Bottle-725ML/DC2400.htm

My innards can't cope with the chlorine in the ship's water. I think there are two reasons - we don't have chlorine in our tank water at home and I didn't cruise for more than two years so I became sensitized to the chlorine. Now on ships, I use a Brita filter for water and have to add ascorbic acid to soup and coffee. Wine is OK. 😁

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

My innards can't cope with the chlorine in the ship's water. I think there are two reasons - we don't have chlorine in our tank water at home and I didn't cruise for more than two years so I became sensitized to the chlorine.

I also have an aversion to chlorinated water. We have a filtered tap at home with which I fill my bottle for the day with chilled water and refill if needed with similar or bottled. At the airport I take an empty bottle through security and fill at the water stations before boarding. My last cruise on RCCL I used the soda machine which doesn't require a chipped cup for plain water. (I guess I will have to take a funnel with me next time)

I have also found the Philips Zero range on Amazon, one of which is insulated. May get that one instead.

31 minutes ago, yarramar said:

I also have an aversion to chlorinated water. We have a filtered tap at home with which I fill my bottle for the day with chilled water and refill if needed with similar or bottled. At the airport I take an empty bottle through security and fill at the water stations before boarding. My last cruise on RCCL I used the soda machine which doesn't require a chipped cup for plain water. (I guess I will have to take a funnel with me next time)

I have also found the Philips Zero range on Amazon, one of which is insulated. May get that one instead.

The ships' water is more highly chlorinated than town water. It has to be. It isn't that I have an aversion to chlorinated water, my gastrointestinal system doesn't like it. On our first couple of cruises last year after the COVID pause, I was spending a lot of time in the bathroom. I don't think I need paint a more vivid picture. ☹️

I realised I had to work something out or give up cruising. So, a Brita jug plus ascorbic acid to add to everything that is prepared using ship's water (soup, coffee etc).  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Except that they have to add chlorine to it to keep it safe to drink after circulating through the ship's reticulation system. Unfortunately I can't handle too much chlorine in drinking water these days. I use filtered water at home.

No need to filter water to get rid of chlorine. Leave in fridge (if you want it cold) in open container and the chlorine evaporates overnight.

1 minute ago, lyndarra said:

No need to filter water to get rid of chlorine. Leave in fridge (if you want it cold) in open container and the chlorine evaporates overnight.

I used to take water from Brisbane to GC.  Now I just run the brown water then boil water then put it in the fridge.

24 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

It's easier to filter it. We've had a water filter in our kitchen for over 20 years.

50 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

You don't have to put the water in the fridge. You can leave it in an open container for 24 hours. I thought about that to get rid of the chlorine in cruiseship water, but I thought leaving a large open-top container of water in the cabin might concern the steward.

37 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

You don't have to put the water in the fridge. You can leave it in an open container for 24 hours. I thought about that to get rid of the chlorine in cruiseship water, but I thought leaving a large open-top container of water in the cabin might concern the steward.

Might fall over in rough seas but you could put in sink.

On 4/19/2023 at 5:03 AM, Reina del Mar said:

Last time we cruised from Sydney, there were no bottled water packages available. We ended up buying the soft drinks’ package.  Looking at 2024, I can’t see bottled water packages again. The Classic soda package has increased in price so much I don’t see it as an option for our 26 day cruise.

We’ve just done an 18 day cruise where we bought the soft drink package and don’t really think it was worth it for us.

What do people do on longer cruises?  Pay as you go ?? Lug cartons of water/ Coca Cola on board ??  Any suggestions. ??

Many thanks.

We haven't had a plus package applied to our world cruise ($AU ex- Sydney) in 2025, and the water package is most definitely available for pre-order for us:

Princesswater.jpg.2fcef7218eca40543c31dd68b0621044.jpg

It works out about the same price as petrol down here, and I can't see that it will be much more expensive to buy large bottles individually over the bar as needed throughout the cruise.

Do you have elite status? You could get your mini bar swapped out for bottles of water.

48 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

that was my thought. If there was an accident with a large container of water, there would be quite a mess. There isn't much spare space in cabins to store a large container of water. The sink could be inconvenient when we want to wash our hands or the steward comes in to clean.

13 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

that was my thought. If there was an accident with a large container of water, there would be quite a mess. There isn't much spare space in cabins to store a large container of water. The sink could be inconvenient when we want to wash our hands or the steward comes in to clean.

14 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

And so may ice buckets fall over or off counters. Bottles can go in the fridge.

1 minute ago, lyndarra said:

A large bowl of water would make more mess than an ice bucket if it fell on the floor. 🙂To eliminate chlorine the container should be uncovered and preferably with a fairly large top surface, not a tiny one like a wine or water bottle. 

3 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Yes I always have a new bottle of water getting cold whilst I’m drinking the other.

I have always taken ginger cordial with no trouble. This time on Luminosa it was

confiscated.  Got it back before Willis Is (stops

sea sickness).  But didn’t have to open it!

I like the idea of ginger cordial and had considered it as I like ginger beer but on thinking it through I came to the possibility of what you experienced on Luminosa.

I don't get seasick but I love ginger especially when it is wrapped in dark chocolate.

57 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes I always have a new bottle of water getting cold whilst I’m drinking the other.

I have always taken ginger cordial with no trouble. This time on Luminosa it was

confiscated.  Got it back before Willis Is (stops

sea sickness).  But didn’t have to open it!

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

A large bowl of water would make more mess than an ice bucket if it fell on the floor. 🙂To eliminate chlorine the container should be uncovered and preferably with a fairly large top surface, not a tiny one like a wine or water bottle. 

Bowls of water!?

The bottles I use nowadays are the wide mouth metal type. These days I believe some ships have banned plastic water bottles.

25 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Bowls of water!?

The bottles I use nowadays are the wide mouth metal type. These days I believe some ships have banned plastic water bottles.

The cruise lines we are currently booking with are Princess and P&O. Both have water in plastic bottles for sale or in the case of Princess, as part of the mini bar set-up.

57 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I like the idea of ginger cordial and had considered it as I like ginger beer but on thinking it through I came to the possibility of what you experienced on Luminosa.

I don't get seasick but I love ginger especially when it is wrapped in dark chocolate.

Just take it in your hand luggage and explain it is to prevent nausea from sea sickness. I had mine in my port. Just got a note. Not happy!!  I also take ginger lollies but they didn’t take those.  When I tried to buy them in French Canada for a cruise I didn’t realise how much ginger was for sale (fresh ginger, powdered ginger, etc.). 

• Thanks 1

If we're cruising with a drinks package we get bottled water and on Princess we exchange our Elite mini-bar for bottled water. Otherwise I pack our Brita water filter jug which is much easier to have in the cabin than large open containers of water to get rid of the chlorine taste.

On 4/21/2023 at 9:26 AM, lyndarra said:

Bowls of water!?

As far as I can tell, Carnival & P&O will not let you bring plastic water bottles aboard if they have any liquid in them. When empty, no problems with plastic water bottles on any of the contemporary lines I am aware of.