Bottled Water Packages in Australia.

Last time we cruised from Sydney, there were no bottled water packages available. We ended up buying the soft drinks’ package.  Looking at 2024, I can’t see bottled water packages again. The Classic soda package has increased in price so much I don’t see it as an option for our 26 day cruise.

We’ve just done an 18 day cruise where we bought the soft drink package and don’t really think it was worth it for us.

What do people do on longer cruises?  Pay as you go ?? Lug cartons of water/ Coca Cola on board ??  Any suggestions. ??

Many thanks.

2 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Last time we cruised from Sydney, there were no bottled water packages available. We ended up buying the soft drinks’ package.  Looking at 2024, I can’t see bottled water packages again. The Classic soda package has increased in price so much I don’t see it as an option for our 26 day cruise.

We’ve just done an 18 day cruise where we bought the soft drink package and don’t really think it was worth it for us.

What do people do on longer cruises?  Pay as you go ?? Lug cartons of water/ Coca Cola on board ??  Any suggestions. ??

Many thanks.

On my Carnival cruise last year you could only bring back on board 10 small cans of soft drinks (not too heavy).   

What cruise line are you booked with? If it is Princess, then 'No' they no longer have a bottled water package. You can buy bottles of water. Another option - the tap water on board is drinkable. Some people take their water bottles to the buffet area and fill them from the water dispensers BUT you must not put the water bottle up to the nozzle. You have to use a cup to transfer the water.

3 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Many thanks.

The answer depends on who you are cruising with. I am presuming Princess. Princess seems to have done away with water packages, and their soft drink package is almost as expensive as booking a plus fare. Plus gives you water, coffee, alcohol, internet all bundled together, otherwise just buy as you go.

I just rechecked our March 2025 Crown Princess roundtrip Brisbane around Australia 28-day cruise & the water bottle package is currently available to purchase. Although that’s certainly not a guarantee…for example Princess sold coffee programs & recently said it was no longer available when passengers boarded. 🙄

image.thumb.png.bcdfea6d3c35094f9c3868f18f2dc707.png

21 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

I just rechecked our March 2025 Crown Princess roundtrip Brisbane around Australia 28-day cruise & the water bottle package is currently available to purchase. Although that’s certainly not a guarantee…for example Princess sold coffee programs & recently said it was no longer available when passengers boarded. 🙄

image.thumb.png.bcdfea6d3c35094f9c3868f18f2dc707.png

Princess didn't have a bottled water package available earlier this year. Maybe they plan to re-introduce it.🙂

P.S. I checked my Cruise Personalizer for a cruise in June. There is no water package available. I was surprised at the increased price of the other drinks packages - Premier $170.38 a day, Plus $130.29 a day, Zero Alcohol $60.75 a day, Soda $31.05 a day. Wow!

Edited by Aus Traveller

6 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Princess didn't have a bottled water package available earlier this year. Maybe they plan to re-introduce it.🙂

Otherwise find a nearby supermarket, buy some slabs of bottled water, attach luggage labels, hand them in with your luggage and they will be delivered to your cabin. Princess only though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

P.S. I checked my Cruise Personalizer for a cruise in June. There is no water package available. I was surprised at the increased price of the other drinks packages - Premier $170.38 a day, Plus $130.29 a day, Zero Alcohol $60.75 a day, Soda $31.05 a day. Wow!

Soda package $31 a day!!!! that's beyond a joke.

Has the price of soft drinks skyrocketed on board????

Or are they trying to eliminate drink packages???

No way would I buy any of those packages, rather just drink the water and their free coffee.

Think I will invest in a good thermo for cruising.

• Like 1

I bought the 12 bottles of water on the Majestic in March for just over $10 Australian and it is again available on the Royal in October.

Both of these are Royal class ships, that may be the difference.

1 hour ago, Ozwoody said:

Soda package $31 a day!!!! that's beyond a joke.

Has the price of soft drinks skyrocketed on board????

Or are they trying to eliminate drink packages???

No way would I buy any of those packages, rather just drink the water and their free coffee.

Think I will invest in a good thermo for cruising.

I have a small 24 hr one. Worth its weight in cold for that early morning cuppa on board.

7 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Otherwise find a nearby supermarket, buy some slabs of bottled water, attach luggage labels, hand them in with your luggage and they will be delivered to your cabin. Princess only though.

Thought of that but apparently Princess only allowing a small crate of 10-12 these days. Looks like they want everyone to buy the ‘All Inclusive’ Plus or Premier package.

Thanks.

35 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

Thought of that but apparently Princess only allowing a small crate of 10-12 these days. Looks like they want everyone to buy the ‘All Inclusive’ Plus or Premier package.

Thanks.

My daughter was considering taking larger containers of water on a cruise her family has booked. In one phone call to Princess, the advice was that only a limited amount was permitted, but on another call, she was told that she could take as much water on board as she likes, but it need to be 'factory sealed'. This was consistent with the old joke - "phone three times and get three different answers". We haven't asked three times about the water so I wonder what the third answer could be.😁

With no cruising for more than two years because of COVID, I developed a sensitivity to the chlorine in the water. This is also probably because we don't have chlorine in our water at home (our own water in tanks). I bought a Brita water filter jug and have found it to be brilliant - much better than I thought it could be.

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I have a small 24 hr one. Worth its weight in cold for that early morning cuppa on board.

Sounds good what brand is it?

I'm thinking something large enough for a hers & him size, that's good for hot & cold, I'm assuming there is such a beast.

Working on planning an assortment of beverage's through my mind that would be practical to take with us, tea; coffee; chocolate; maybe something like a powdered orange drink that actually tastes like orange juice. That last one is probably just wishful thinking.😆

Anybody got any ideas????🤔

I take a double walled S/S water bottle and fill it at an available outlet. If you can't put the neck on the water dispenser for hygiene reasons, also bring a small funnel which cannot be objected to.

If there are no handy dispensers around try the spa or gym.

35 minutes ago, yarramar said:

I take a double walled S/S water bottle and fill it at an available outlet. If you can't put the neck on the water dispenser for hygiene reasons, also bring a small funnel which cannot be objected to.

If there are no handy dispensers around try the spa or gym.

I like the idea of the funnel. Good thinking.

7 hours ago, sewgood said:

I bought the 12 bottles of water on the Majestic in March for just over $10 Australian and it is again available on the Royal in October.

Both of these are Royal class ships, that may be the difference.

I can't see this option for Majestic in November. I figured it won't show when we already have a drinks package?

2 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

Sounds good what brand is it?

I'm thinking something large enough for a hers & him size, that's good for hot & cold, I'm assuming there is such a beast.

Working on planning an assortment of beverage's through my mind that would be practical to take with us, tea; coffee; chocolate; maybe something like a powdered orange drink that actually tastes like orange juice. That last one is probably just wishful thinking.😆

Anybody got any ideas????🤔

Thermos 18 hrs hot 24 hrs cold 16oz /470 ml

(single size there is a larger size) plus a Stanley which you can drink out of the top with easy push down button plus a tiny one with lid which I got on Antarctica cruise great for drinking pon deck.  I use all three on board.

• Thanks 1

Just had a live chat with Princess UK, who advised water packages are not available for cruises using $Aus / from Australia. They also said you can take as much water on as you can carry on…no sending with luggage tags. ….`Most disappointing !

• Thanks 1

Here’s a statement from section 5 of the Cruise Contract for our Round Australia cruise booked in USD…is the Cruise Contract statement the same when booking in AUD? Although like other policies enforcement can vary from their stated policy.

• Guests are also prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in Guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.  Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding.

No idea, sorry.Just quoted what I was told on Princess UK live web chat. Just tried to find it to copy and paste, but it has now disappeared.

Will try again nearer to the cruise . Suppose 12 each makes it almost one bottle between us per day…can also buy some at various ports, I suppose.. although in theory that isn’t encouraged. Flasks from the buffet may be the answer…just don’t fancy drinking water from bathroom taps, although I am aware it is the same water used in buffet..just my personal ‘thing’.

5 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Here’s a statement from section 5 of the Cruise Contract for our Round Australia cruise booked in USD…is the Cruise Contract statement the same when booking in AUD? Although like other policies enforcement can vary from their stated policy.

• Guests are also prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in Guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.  Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding.

I just checked the Australian Passage Contract for a cruise I booked recently and there are no restrictions at all on bringing non-alcohol drinks onboard. It's not even mentioned. 

19 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I just checked the Australian Passage Contract for a cruise I booked recently and there are no restrictions at all on bringing non-alcohol drinks onboard. It's not even mentioned. 

Thanks for checking! 🙂

We’ll be boarding Crown Princess in March 2025 for our bucket list Around Australia cruise from Brisbane. We also hope to meet up with Fletch1 who we’ve cruised with on two month long cruises…great fun people who I believe you might also know.

Our only other Australian embarkation was in 2009 from Sydney & they were strictly enforcing wine limits. Thankfully in NZ they were very lenient & we refreshed our wine supply for cruising back to LA. 🍷😊

10 hours ago, buchhalm said:

You do know that they do not use bottled water to make ice, coffee, tea, buffet juices from the dispensers, ice tea, water poured from jugs at dinner......

Why would they? Ship produced water is as pure or better than what you can buy in bottles.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, yarramar said:

Why would they? Ship produced water is as pure or better than what you can buy in bottles.

Except that they have to add chlorine to it to keep it safe to drink after circulating through the ship's reticulation system. Unfortunately I can't handle too much chlorine in drinking water these days. I use filtered water at home.