No chibang for me on mardi gras

geckoaz

46 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

It has been talked about before on JH’s page. It’s a pilot starting next week on Mardi Gras only at this time. 

For me, I don’t eat more than once per trip on Chibang so it doesn’t effect me; I’m curious how many people want more than one dinner there per trip, and if $8 per person for additional meals would dissuade them.

I’m more worried that they’ll start rolling out nominal charges for all the other included dining —not just Chibang but also Cucina, Pig and Anchor lunch, etc. One of the best distinguishing features of the XL class of ships, to me, are the number of included food options. Would hate to see that change.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

For me, I don’t eat more than once per trip on Chibang so it doesn’t effect me; I’m curious how many people want more than one dinner there per trip, and if $8 per person for additional meals would dissuade them.

I’m more worried that they’ll start rolling out nominal charges for all the other included dining —not just Chibang but also Cucina, Pig and Anchor lunch, etc. One of the best distinguishing features of the XL class of ships, to me, are the number of included food options. Would hate to see that change.

Yeah, Chibang doesn’t bother us because we don’t care for it. But we love Cucina. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

I would expect that this will be rolled out to all the other venues in time. They're just starting with Chibang because it seems to be the most popular venue. I think they want to see if imposing an $8 surcharge for subsequent visits helps with wait times.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2023 at 4:48 PM, kwokpot said:

You mean just like those 'As seen on TV' gadgets where they first tell you it costs $40 for one but 5 seconds later tell you if you order now they will give you a second one free? And it's always the same deal? 

I concur with the skepticism b/c the food quality at these 'fee restaurants that Carnival was so generous to make complimentary!'--is just average overall. To me, none of it was at a level where I'd have been content had we paid an upcharge.  

And if Carnival reads any of this, what would lure me back onto an XL ship is if they kept at least one of: Guy's, Iguana, Big Chicken open later each night so that we could get dinner from them.  They can shift around food/personnel to make this happen if they wanted to.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, asalligo said:

Yes, just got off the Celebration Sunday and YTD is the only reasonable choice now in my opinion. Really long waits after 7pm. 

That’s why we chose early time dining for our next cruise. We have a table always ready for us. No wait times to deal with. 

6 hours ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

It has been talked about before on JH’s page. It’s a pilot starting next week on Mardi Gras only at this time. 

I read the other thread about it.  Since the Mardi Gras is in our rear view mirror after four weeks on her, it won't apply to us.  Even if the Celebration started the same policy, once per cruise for dinner is sufficient.  Do like two lunches there to enjoy the broth bowls.

5 hours ago, jimbob22 said:

And if Carnival reads any of this, what would lure me back onto an XL ship is if they kept at least one of: Guy's, Iguana, Big Chicken open later each night so that we could get dinner from them.  They can shift around food/personnel to make this happen if they wanted to.

So I will infer that you're not cruising on Carnival at all since none of the ships in the fleet that I'm aware of have a Blue Iguana or Guy's burgers open after 600 pm.

34 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

So I will infer that you're not cruising on Carnival at all since none of the ships in the fleet that I'm aware of have a Blue Iguana or Guy's burgers open after 600 pm.

we're not boycotting carnival, but I think we are kind 'carnivaled out' for a while.  MG was a good cruise, but the cutbacks were a bit too obvious and annoying (eg. food served in condiment containers, etc.).

9 minutes ago, jimbob22 said:

we're not boycotting carnival, but I think we are kind 'carnivaled out' for a while.  MG was a good cruise, but the cutbacks were a bit too obvious and annoying (eg. food served in condiment containers, etc.).

There are cutbacks everywhere.  Post COVID we have sailed on Carnival, NCL, RCI, Celebrity and Princess.  Have seen it firsthand and every one of those lines have cruisers complaining on these boards about how things are different compared to 2019 whether it be quality decreasing or pricing increasing.

Just now, CruizinSusan70 said:

There are cutbacks everywhere.  Post COVID we have sailed on Carnival, NCL, RCI, Celebrity and Princess.  Have seen it firsthand and every one of those lines have cruisers complaining on these boards about how things are different compared to 2019 whether it be quality decreasing or pricing increasing.

We were on Hal Rotterdam a few weeks later and it was fine.  My wife was recently on RC Wonder and it was fine.  Nothing was as clearly obvious as that on MG this past Thanksgiving.  But Iguana/Guys/Big Chicken/Street Eats/Panini were all really good.  And the rest wasn't 'bad'--just seemed more pre-made/so-so type quality.

9 hours ago, jimbob22 said:

I've never understood why they don't keep at least one of these venues open later. It would be a good casual dinner option for those who don't like the buffet.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

I've never understood why they don't keep at least one of these venues open later. It would be a good casual dinner option for those who don't like the buffet.

and Carnival has placed great emphasis on the fast foods, but then they oddly shut them down for the night by 6pm.  We also don't like their dinner buffet, so it feels like we're basically forced into mdr/chibang/cucina when we'd rather go to Guy's, Big Chicken or Blue Iguana.  We did have a mediocre dinner at P&A, they were really skimping on the portions in there.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jimbob22 said:

and Carnival has placed great emphasis on the fast foods, but then they oddly shut them down for the night by 6pm.  We also don't like their dinner buffet, so it feels like we're basically forced into mdr/chibang/cucina when we'd rather go to Guy's, Big Chicken or Blue Iguana.  We did have a mediocre dinner at P&A, they were really skimping on the portions in there.

On our MG cruise last year we didn't eat in the MDR at all. Went to all the specialties except Chibang and ate at the buffet once. The buffet was terrible and Mr. SRQ got so sick from P&A that we had to miss our excursion the next day. We'll likely be skipping both of those this next time.   

• Like 1

I'm on vacation and it is MY time. I eat when hungry, drink when I want one, and relax. I don't even care about an MDR. I do get it and understand people have a much different palette than me and I am 100% for them to eat to their hearts content on things they normally don't do at home. I am not a foody, so when they put all those weird words with the food, no thanks. If I want the steak, I want to see steak salt and peppered cooked to your temp. I don't want to see some long french word with some crazy cream sauce ruining it. I'd rather just go to the counter service places, not have to get dressed up, and relax on a lounger and eat. 

On 4/19/2023 at 5:27 PM, Jamman54 said:

It's been like this since the Mardi Gras started sailing. You also can't book Cucina until late if you have set dining. Same thing on the Celebration. 😎

Thank you so much for this info Jamman! I just went and changed my Celebration dining pref to "My Time"  I had planned on chibang, pig and anchor, and cucina at least once.  Thank goodness I saw this or we would have been BUMMED!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 5:29 PM, mz-s said:

I don't see why they don't just allow everyone to reserve a table at the restaurant of their choosing when they want. Go to 100% "freestyle" dining.

That would eliminate set time dining.  I'm all for that because I always only do anytime dining, but just putting it out there that 100% is 100%.

11 hours ago, dlphn501 said:

That would eliminate set time dining.  I'm all for that because I always only do anytime dining, but just putting it out there that 100% is 100%.

They could keep set dining for those that insist, just section off a portion of the dining room.